Jon Kent Changes Starting to Make Me Uncomfortable

I agree. I am very upset about this change

2 Likes

At this rate, you could make both of them bisexual and call it a day :joy::joy:

In all seriousness, and I don’t mean to be a downer, but I really don’t think having Damian and Jon become romantically involved is a good idea. Even if they were the same age, or if this was explored in 3-4 years, I feel like it would still end up feeling like a cheap way to pump some drama into the stories. I mean, they’ve already had their ups and downs in forming a tight friendship, so there’s not much to add there.

Having never actually read Super Sons in full, I could be wrong in that assessment, but I have been keeping tabs on the direction of those two characters, and that’s the way I see it.

2 Likes

I hear you. I would be fine from a character perspective but from a story perspective it would be too cliche. Say as adults, the headlines would be: Batman and Superman in love, the engagement, the wedding, the breakup, the reunion, Crisis on Infinite Breakups, love triangle, reboot, the adoption, the adopted baby getting aged up by name brand writer, etc etc.
Did I miss any?

1 Like

(Have you looked up the fan fiction and fan art…)

In all seriousness, if DC wants to go this route, they would need to let in slow burn a little more. Think about it like the HQ:TAS. You have to establish the friendship strongly before you mess with it romantically. If I had to write the arc, I would use the Damian Wayne Teen Titans arc right now to establish how important Jon is at making Damian Wayne a good person. Without Jon to help Damian, Damian has gone off the rails locking people up in secret, killing criminals, and has become the bad guy and more like his mother. Slowly, Jon pushes him back toward the light, reestablishing their friendship. At that point do 12 issues of a new supersons expirementing with their new platonic relationship and then if it goes really well, maybe test the waters just a little. If fans react positively go all in.

I’m not proposing Damian going I love you to Jon and them making out right now, because the story isn’t there for that yet, but I could see that working in a year and a half.

2 Likes

That doesn’t fix the problem at all and to be honest the confessional is too little too late and doesn’t make any sense in the context of the scene. He’s never met this doctor fate, yet he’s confessing everything to him. Wouldn’t an issue of Lois and Clark talking through their anger and frustration and leaning on each other be WAY more interesting?

1 Like

the thing with Jon in a relationship he may of aged up physically but mentally and socially? that’s what’s kinda bothering me

1 Like

I mean, he still lived through that time in his alternate earth, but we haven’t had his coming of age story yet.

Bendis ruined characters in the Marvel now it’s his turn to ruin DC characters

3 Likes

Bottom of the line, I just want young Jon back. He has zero value as he is, because Conner also exists. I don’t want him in a relationship with anyone. The Damian thing is weird too. I don’t like that people ship them all the time. To me, they have a brotherly relationship. Bendis has destroyed Jon. Made it where the only place he will ever belong is Legion. At this point, I hope Jon just gets retconned out of existence and forgotten about.

2 Likes

I do not support, nor will I ever support a Jon/Damian romantic relationship. They’re brothers to me.

6 Likes

Should we go back and complain that we never got to see Kara developing into a teen? Should she be “not emotionally developed enough” for a relationship? Jon to me is much more interesting now than he was before. A young man on his way into following his father’s outsize footsteps. Then there’s Clark himself, I haven’t read as much as some of the seasoned folks on here, but I’ve never seen him this emotionally vulnerable, and I love it. The guy can move mountains, but struggles with family and personal decisions like the rest of us.

I don’t know, I honestly feel like if you don’t complain about Bendis, you’re not part of the “in crowd”, almost like it’s in vogue to do so. Apologies, I don’t mean to belittle anyone’s opinion. I just wholeheartedly disagree with all the “Bendis ruined Superman” talk. His work on Superman has been my favorite DC output in the past couple years.

2 Likes

Psssh, I was complaining about Bendis long before it was hip.

4 Likes

Then it was you all along wasn’t it? You started this thing :joy:

2 Likes

I agree with you.

I was very, very not okay with Superboy in New 52. That worked itself out… thanks, entirely, to Bendis.

1 Like

I have every issue of ultimate Spider-Man up to 73 and loved powers so I at one point was a big Bendis fan. Of course there’s a but. His work over the past decade has been problematic and sloppy at best. He doesn’t seem to care like he once did and I enjoyed his inclusive attitude (miles morales a minority character taking over as Spider-Man ) now it seems less sincere (iceman becoming gay after 50 years). I think he’s run out of ideas, and all he can think to do is mix things up and hope it works. Jon as older is just the latest example. Next Batman biological father will turn out to be Lionel Luther and he’ll reveal Wonder Woman’s an alien and themyscira is actually a meteor that hit earth.

1 Like

I gave Bendis’s plan a chance. I bought roughly 36 issues of his run, and now that I’ve given it a go and seen the direction that he’s taken Jonathan Kent, I’ve decided that I don’t like it.

1 Like

But do all great friendships have to end romantically? It’s much more relatable to have them just be best friends.

4 Likes

Don’t give Bendis ideas

2 Likes

So didn’t know about this before this post. I am around supersons rebirth #6 or so. Where Damien is mouthing off about Jon not even being a teen. Another superboy physically older than he is emotionally? Bored now, was reading supersons to watch the kids grow up in world where for good or bad their parents had already blazed a trail. Note the past tense. Jon aging like that removes any motive for me to follow Damien or jon

I missed bendis doing anything with connor kent? Where was that