Is Tim Burton’s Batman Returns As Good or Better Than the First Movie?

Sequels always suck! But once in a while they’re great! Like Terminator 2…or Batman Returns! Am I nuts or was the sequel as good or better than the original? Almost as good?
Let me know what you think.

19 Likes

Batman Returns isn’t just better than Batman… it’s the best live action DC movie.

22 Likes

The dialogue is better. The love story is better. The action scenes are better. Overall, though, the first film is more consistent, while the sequel is rather uneven. Batman '89 does what it sets out to do: it creates an homage to cinema from the 1930s-1940s, especially the Universal monster movies, Warner Bros. gangster pictures, and film noir of the period. Returns, on the other hand, is an exercise in tonal whiplash with some extreme highs and lows.

By the way, there’s a Batman Returns watchalong going on RIGHT THIS MOMENT

19 Likes

Batman is a classic, but I’ve always liked Returns better. I think that having Tim Burton be free to really play to his strengths and embrace his unique, macabre style ultimately made the movie as a whole better and just worked really well for not only Batman, but all the other supporting characters. I also just love the Batsuit a lot more in the sequel - no weird gaps in the cowl’s mouth, no belt that falls down and no random extra notches in the logo on the chest

11 Likes

Whoah that’s deep, bro! :joy: seriously I really appreciate your insight.

6 Likes

It’s a tie! Case closed. Don’t make me choose! I won’t! They are both perfect in almost every way.

10 Likes

I loved the bat suit upgrade too. But I also appreciated how the first film introduced us to the bulletproof Batman so I gotta pay a little homage to the original. (Wasn’t that the first bulletproof Batman?)

6 Likes

Batman sometimes wore a bulletproof vest in the Golden Age (but ultimately decided that it was too cumbersome), and he wore bulletproof armor under his chest logo in The Dark Knight Returns.

9 Likes

I remember that now from the dark knight returns. I knew he was packing heat in the early golden age but I had no idea about the body armor. I guess I have a little Bat-research to do

6 Likes

I’ll be the black sheep - I preferred the first. I never cared for how Penguin or Catwoman were written. Maybe they mirrored a comic era I haven’t read, but I always picture Penguin as more classy (or, ar least, wannabe-classy; not walking around slurping raw fish in a soiled onesie at a press conference) and Selina as charismatically seductive (not the forced, 2-am-adult-hotline commercial voice every time she wanted to come off as sexy ).

10 Likes

From Batman #1 (1940)

9 Likes

That was a good idea. He took a lot of bullet wounds in the 80’s

7 Likes

Omg I have this!

9 Likes

I concur. What Burton did to Oswald was a travesty. MP’s Catwoman wasn’t that good. I put that down to both director and actor choices.

Penguin as the “oh my god such a tragic backstory…sniffle…sniffle.” And Selina Kyle as “a spineless doormat until…wait for it…physical brain trauma.”

Batman Returns is the worst of that 4 film franchise.

9 Likes

I completely understand arguments against Returns in general, but…worst of the franchise? The same franchise that has Batman and Robin?

13 Likes

The people who hate Batman Returns tend to really hate Batman Returns.

12 Likes

Jeez tell us what you really think :joy:.

5 Likes

I wasn’t really aware that was a thing, but I guess it must be the case to rank it lower than 1 of the worst superhero movies ever

4 Likes

Before Batman v Superman came along, it was the most polarizing Batman movie. And to be fair, both films exhibit a strong creative take on the characters that doesn’t sit well with everyone. And they both have really silly finales. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

So when I was 7 Danny Devito came to my hometown of Seymour Ct to shoot a movie scene for Other People’s Money. I met him and shook his hand. Then I saw the movie. They filmed the big electrical cable factory in my town and Devito called it a $#!+hole.

I still can’t bring myself to hate him as the penguin. I mean he was born deformed and his parents threw him in a sewer! (A sewer that connects to a penguin habitat…if you want reality watch the news I guess…).

I can’t find a picture of the factory…but he was right

7 Likes