Is Tim Burton’s Batman Returns As Good or Better Than the First Movie?

I agree. Perfectly worded. They both have their strengths, but there’s a certain feeling watching 89, it’s almost transporting to those eras of cinema Burton was going for. He managed to succeed in making me feel nostalgic for, and able to relate to those eras, and I’d say that’s quite an accomplishment considering they were long before I was born​:four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

I actually quite like Batman 89. The only issue I ever took with it was once Napier becomes the Joker, was the use of flesh colored makeup as “coverup makeup” for the Joker. That just seems like a choice Joker would not make. He emerges, fully formed, no desire to curb or tone down his look. Beyond that is is a 40 year old film that still holds up well. And I do discount the Burton batmobile as it is just to impractical. The huge turbine at the front just creates so many flaws for that car. But, every shot of it in motion just takes me out of the film because I feel so bad for the dedicated team of people who built it.

3 Likes

How about the grappling hook left hand turn? And Having to climb in through the roof hatch. And I’m not an aircraft mechanic or anything…but it think a jet turbine on a car would dang near send it halfway to the moon!

1 Like

I will argue that B&R is the second best film of the series because it unabashedly decided “this is what we’re gonna be and they executed it as view by a stylized lens, at look at the bat. It didn’t do camp, like the 60s tv series did. It creates a hybrid between postpunk, new wave and a resurgence in EDM led, imo, by a pioneer of the form Gorgio Moroduer.

89 and B&R we’re doing movies for themselves. For what superhero movies could be and that impacted superhero animation could be. I love BTAS STAS, JL/JLU and Batman beyond. You can certainly see the 89 influence on BTAS.

But, the.visual languages used in B&R appeared in The Batman, Beware the Batman, The Brave and the Bold, GLAS, and Star Wars The clone wars

I have heard people say only a “dark serious Batman can be made well” Batman has an element capable to do farce or absurdism just as well. And it has in comics, tv, & film.

3 Likes

Hard for me to pick they both had there strengths.

Batman has a good joker b Batman with the fun and seriousness of Joker. Wasn’t perfect but work with many memorable moments. But the joker killing his parents was a nice twist. The Bruce moments were gods for the most part. The let’s get nuts still doesn’t make sense to me.

Returns I’ve seen the least but conveniently saw it last week on TV. It was as great as it always was just felt like it dragged at some moments. The designs were great and the movie worked well. The story though at times felt like bat didn’t really have a bad to fight until near the end. Just felt the focus was mostly on the villains instead of the main character at time. Still an awesome movie.

Forever/Robin- I thought we’re fun. Grew up with them and saw them the most. Just a lot of fun nostalgia with those.

3 Likes

Was it the brain trauma or the cat bites?

1 Like

I have a strong distaste for some movie and tv adaptations. Batman Returns isn’t one for me, but I get it. Comic book characters are always being rebooted. They’re given a physical and personality makeover, new origin story, etc. There are alternate versions of them and alternate stories. Sometimes that really disappoints me. I personally liked the penguin and catwoman in returns, but I see where you’re coming from.

If you didn’t Like Keaton as Batman, who’s your favorite Batman actor?

1 Like

You don’t think this was awesome? Not really grounded in reality I guess.

4 Likes

Do you mean the Joker of the movie, or the Joker in general? He has appeared in flesh-colored makeup before, including (retroactively) his very first appearance and A Death in the Family.

6 Likes

Can I say it…at least it wasn’t blackface!

1 Like

In general, but the movie in particular. I felt no grounding reason to do it. It’s not like he is truly trying to hide his new self. I also don’t think it was a great choice in ADITF either.

1 Like

No I don’t think it’s awesome. It could have been awesome, the large turbine at the front just screws up the lines of the car, would provide no functional purpose for the motor and it is so far in front of the front wheels, that the handling would be severely compromised.

The most annoying thing is, they didn’t need it at all. You could take it off the car, eliminate the functional issues it creates. And got the car’s great lines would work with out it. Louver the insides of the fenders, and apply the principal of running 2 inline 8s, like the hot wheels Twin Mill used 2 V8s.

It could have been a great Batmobile, but it’s just “bleech”.

2 Likes

So I will say, doesn’t a turbine pull air from the front and exhaust gas and apparently flame out of the back? How is the cab (cockpit) where it is?

2 Likes

I’m not even going to get in to that one.
When a turbine car was developed for the Indy500 back in the 60’s it was in its own pod parallel to the driver.

2 Likes

I don’t know. In retrospect, it sure was dark as hell with the whole Moses-esque story line and killing of first borns but then it is juxtaposed with penguins sporting rockets.

3 Likes

Rex gave Selina the…PUSH she needed to gain confidence

2 Likes

Even though I definitely prefer Batman when he’s dark and serious, I’ll certainly admit that he can also work in a lighter tone as well. At the end of the day, he’s a grown man who dresses up as a bat - there’s always gonna be something inherently ridiculous about that premise. That said, not only did I see plenty of camp and ridiculousness in the Schumaker films, but it came across as the kind of camp that doesn’t seem to realize just how silly it is. W/ something like the Adam West show, that seemed to know just how campy it was and really leaned into it to make something fun and unique

3 Likes

I know in some earlier comics he had body armor underneath the tights, but was still greatly harmed by bullets.

2 Likes

Seems like one of those was meant as a comedy and the other one was just :face_vomiting:.

3 Likes

It’s not.

1 Like