Introducing: DC Universe Infinite Ultra

@Jitsu Are we getting the FAQ today? Us annual subscribers who don’t have a ton of money want to know if we’re going to have to shell out $100 tomorrow when we just paid for a year not too long ago.

9 Likes

Sorry, but when they haven’t fixed one single thing they’ve promised to on this app in two years, complaining isn’t doom and gloom, it’s reality.

5 Likes

It says Vertigo and Black Label are exclusive to the higher tier. Not sure how that doesn’t mean the regular library is shrinking.

3 Likes

Not if Vertigo and Black Label releases will be exclusive to the top tier.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure Vertigo stuff that is tied to a DC hero or one of the series that existed as a DC title before it was grandfathered in as Vertigo (Animal Man, Swamp Thing, The Sandman, Doom Patrol) will still be available to everyone. This is a a very superhero-oriented service. Ultra gives an opportunity to release Vertigo titles that don’t fit in the superhero mold.

5 Likes

Here are some quotes form the release:

Expanded Catalog of Vertigo, Black Label and Collected Editions Exclusively Available to Ultra Subscribers Starting in Mid-November

This implies that the exclusive issues are new and not the existing ones.

With access to over 27,000 comics, expanding to 32,000+ books in November 2022

This also covers the 5000 exclusive vertigo, black label and Collected editions so, worst case most of the new content is exclusive. But they have also stated

For the first time ever, DC graphic novels and select MAD Magazine issues will also be available to read across all membership tiers on DC UNIVERSE INFINITE.

So not all the new content is exclusive.

Nowhere has anyone said “We are making all Vertigo etc. exclusive to Ultra including what already in DCUI.” in fact most implies it won’t.

I will happily admit that I was wrong if this turns out to be the case, but IMHO it appears that you are purposely looking for things to complain about.

I do agree about the things that have not been addressed, but I have only been here a little over a year and the only thing the app doesn’t do that I want, is let me access the MyDC tab to clear my cache and I have sent multiple tickets about that.

7 Likes

Even if it is just new Black Label and Vertigo titles that will be exclusive, by any definition, that means less will be on the regular service, since now those issues are released there. You can all be thrilled with this, that’s fine. But there is no argument you can make that avoids the fact that the regular service will be lessened. After two years of waiting for promised repairs, all with “tickets”, and library building that never came.

5 Likes

Dude it’s $10 a month, less than that if you get it with a promotion

5 Likes

I will concede that this means less content will be available for the basic tier when compared to the Ultra tier. However you keep saying that your library will be shrinking and it won’t. There is no indication that after Monday, the amount of content in the basic tier will be less when compared to today. Unless they take away stuff already available to the basic tier, nothing will shrink just not increase as fast which is different. You may be upset at that and justifiably but to say basically " I have access to 27000 comics and if I don’t pay for the upgrade I will have access to 27000 comics so my library is shrinking" is factually untrue.

I can see arguing that you will no longer have 100% of the comics available to you but that is a comparative shrinkage not actual shrinkage.

5 Likes

You’re splitting hairs. Yes, technically the existing library MAY not be shrinking (or it might if the released titles also become exclusive), but what is released every week to be in that library, will be.

3 Likes

There is literally no way to know that at this point unless you have an inside source. We haven’t seen anything related to their release schedule. We haven’t seen any plans for any releases that indicates that the basic tier will now not get the same amount of releases that it has previously. We were getting on a rare occassion some new comic series releases, but these were always attached to shows that were coming out. This is putting some titles behind a pay wall that makes them able to justify putting them on the services. I would imagine titles like Watchmen could be added to the Ultra tier that would have never came here because from a marketing standpoint it made no logical or logistical sense. I believe if you look at any of the release threads for DCUI those are all titles from six months ago, except the archive titles. All those six month titles will still come to the basic tier. I imagine the archive titles will as well. The ones that DC still makes profit off of in print will go to the Ultra tier, I would imagine. Nothing bad is happening here. Also, I personally have not had any issues with functionality of the DCUI app ever and have seen improvements not deficits in the entire 4 years of being here. I’m glad they are finding a way to bring us more digital titles for those of us that simply no longer buy floppies.

6 Likes

I’m excited for this, but I do hope something is said today on the specifics of this. Before I spend $99 on something I’d like to know exactly what I’m getting and this is supposed to be happening tomorrow.

6 Likes

Hm. A full list of exclusive titles would be helpful. I’m interested, but I don’t read a lot of new books, so what all is entailed in especially those collected editions is probably going to be what makes this decision for me.

(Also interesting that prices are listed for our international anglophone friends. Is that new, or did I miss something earlier?)

6 Likes

It’s worth it! Can’t wait til tomorrow. Just wish they would add some Sgt Rock and other war titles.

7 Likes

I gotta co-sign this. They broke the iPad version of the app in April and have repeatedly told me/other folks they’d fix it and still haven’t. The MY DC page still freezes when you click on it and Landscape viewing was removed which is wild because its a tablet, you wanna read it in landscape mode. The refusal to fix this is what was making me reconsider even subscribing for another year again. I definitely don’t think I’ll be paying for Ultra if they don’t fix basic functionalities of their app.

5 Likes

I use the app on my iPad all the time with no issues.

8 Likes

What iPad model are you using? I read solely on my iPad and have never experienced any of those issues. I’m on the latest version of the iPad Air but I was using a second generation model prior to that.

5 Likes

That doesn’t negate MY experience tho? It hasn’t worked on my iPad since April and I’ve been using the latest iOS.

4 Likes

I’m with other people. I kind of want to see what I will be getting before signing up. When they changed to infinite and took away streaming, we were kind of led to believe more Black Label, collections, etc would become available. Unfortunately very few came through. Makes it a little harder to believe what is said. Also, I am a monthly subscriber now because everything that has happened with not getting things and losing streaming. So, I would like to see what the monthly subscription will cost.

3 Likes

I have an iPad Pro and the model shouldn’t matter maybe only the OS. Regardless, check the low reviews on the App Store, the tablet experience is frequently the reason why its getting 1 Star reviews. I’m not the only person who is dealing with this. But cool it works for you and the other person :+1:t4:

4 Likes