I’m The Question, hero of Hub City. AMA

Why are people close-minded and let foolish things bother them?

Because when your perspective is the only one you have, it’s easy to forget there are others.

2 Likes

Have you ever worked with Tim Drake in comics or animation? I feel like you two would make a good team given your combined intellectual prowess.

I’ve never worked with a Robin, and I don’t think I ever will. There’s an old rule in show business: never work with children or animals. I feel that applies to detective work as well.

3 Likes

Fair enough.

You are one of the greatest characters EVER they need YOU in YOUR OWN LIVE ACTION SERIES

2 Likes

As for a question when was your first appearance in comics?

1 Like

Why, thank you. People do say I have a face for television, but I’m fairly certain they’re being ironic.

My first comic appearance was in 1967, as a back-up feature to Blue Beetle #1. I never minded letting him have the top billing, not after spending all that money on his electronic ephemera and accoutrements. He clearly wanted it more.

2 Likes

Question I was wondering, has Superman ever face the Penguin in a comic book?

1 Like

Reaganfan78: This is another case which required no small effort of investigation, but I think I’ve assembled a significant enough dossier to satisfy your curiosity. And just to be thorough, I’ve also collected Superman’s confrontations with The Penguin outside of the printed page.

Superman first encountered The Penguin in Superman’s Girl Friend, Lois Lane #70 (1966), when he catches a breaking news report of Penguin’s escape from prison. While Superman teams up with Batman and Robin to pursue the escaped jailbird, Selina Kyle takes the opportunity to hypnotize Lois Lane into believing she herself is the Catwoman, and then uses her to lure Superman into a trap… but that’s a story for another time.

Although not canonical, World’s Finest Comics #172 (1961) presents an alternate universe where Ma and Pa Kent take in Bruce Wayne as a foster child after his parents are murdered, and he and Clark grow up as brothers. In that world, they become the crimefighting duo of Superboy and Batboy. Then, in a tragic turn, Lex Luthor kills the Kent family as well. After nearly killing Luthor in retaliation, Bruce exiles himself to the 30th century to join the Legion of Super-Heroes, leaving Clark in control of Wayne Enterprises and the protection of Gotham City. In a brief epilogue, we can see a grown Superman squaring off against a hopelessly outmatched Penguin.

In the first two issues of DC’s tie-in comic to Filmation’s Super Friends (1976), The Penguin is seen as a member of the Super Foes, a league of villains with designs on defeating the Super Friends once and for all. This culminates in Super Friends #2, where Penguin designs a Super Robot specifically to battle Superman.

Hypnosis comes into play once again in World’s Finest Comics #261 (1980). There, The Penguin uses his Hypnotic Umbrella on a Western film actor and Superman into believing that they’re Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and setting them upon Batman. Luckily, the actor is able to draw on his experience to break free from Penguin’s hypnosis, and awakens Superman to the truth.

In Season 9 of Super Friends (1985), in the episode “The Case of the Stolen Super Powers,” an imprisoned Felix Faust crafts a spell to steal the powers of Superman for himself, but in doing so accidentally grants them to his cellmate: The Penguin. Now one of the most powerful villains in the world, it falls to the Super Friends to stop the empowered Penguin and return Superman’s abilities.

In Superman/Batman #61 (2009), Doctor Destiny traps Superman and Batman in a dreamworld where they must face off against fusions of their greatest foes — including Penguello, a mash-up of The Penguin and Metallo.

Most recently, you can find Penguin throughout the DC Super Friends webseries (2015), wherein Penguin, as a full-fledged member of the Legion of Doom, scuffles with Superman and his allies in every episode.

2 Likes

I have a question, when will you ever team up with Rorschach?

Can’t say, Wendigo. Hard to team up with someone who’s been splattered across Antarctica.

2 Likes

Question, for many years I was wondering, Do you think in Batman The Animated Series, before he turns to Clayface and after his car accident, Matt Hagen look like Lon Chaney with bit of 1925 Phantom of the opera looks? I thought it was a nice tribute to him even getting Hagen get called a man of 100 faces, while Chaney was known as a man of Thousand faces! :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s not just true for Batman: The Animated Series, but the comics themselves. Basil Karlo, the original Clayface, was based on a combination of Lon Chaney, Basil Rathbone, and Boris Karloff.

However, Karlo never had the powers of Matt Hagen, the second Clayface. He was just a man in a costume. So for Batman: The Animated Series, Bruce Timm and Paul Dini gave Basil Karlo’s civilian appearance and backstory to Matt Hagen, combining the two Clayfaces into one character - much as they would later do in combining the personalities of Jason Todd and Tim Drake into the second Robin, in The New Batman Adventures.

1 Like

How many Gojira monsters do you think are represented in the original run of Godzilla movies, say Godzilla through Terror of Mechagodzilla, Some people say just 2, others see a more complicated story line,

Just as all conspiracies are just one grand conspiracy, all Gojiras are one grand Gojira.

What is your latest development in the one grand conspiracy?

The new Ariana Grande album contains subliminal messaging which, when listened to carefully, shows the hands of the masterminds behind the Seven Rings syndicate. They’re getting careless.

How does The Masked Singer play into the grand scheme of things?

How is it the kings (And relatives/sidekicks) of Atlantis speak to fish, but others can’t?
Oh, and how does the creation of Yoda fit into the one grand conspiracy?