Has Anyone Read Red Hood And The Outlaws?

I’m excited for the 4th season particularly because of Jason. Don’t know if Jensen Ackles would be intrested in reprising the voice acting role although he still talks about Jason alot, plus Jason seems a lot younger in this series so he would probably need a voice actor that isn’t as rough on the voice.

It was a missed opportunity to not have Jason interact with Talia or the League in RHATO (that little bit they did do in the New 52 was so out of character and just plain srange for everyone that I just ignored it.) So I’m really looking forward to them hopefully explaining how/why Jason is with the League in Young Justice.

3 Likes

For the first 20 or so issues this was one of the best titles to come out of Rebirth, then It started to lose me a bit once he changed his look, and I literally had no interest once it got to the Year Of The Villain. It has started to pick up again now since that has ended.

4 Likes

Here, Here. I also think that with Red Hood in Young Justice, we might actually get some mentions about the All Caste.

2 Likes

Young Justice spoilers:

Personally, I suspect the Young Justice Jason scenario is a hybridization of the Under the Hood and Under the Red Hood explanations for Jason’s resurrection: Jason was placed into the Lazarus Pit, but it was only able to repair so much, and as a result he was left with substantial memory issues. As a result, Talia has been keeping him around hoping to nurse him back to full memory, and Jason has been recruited by the League of Assassins because he retained his combat skills, all a la the Batman Annual/Lost Days stuff. It explains Ra’s’s line about resurrections around there usually not occurring without the Lazarus Pit, and it explains the line about “Your memories are finally beginning to return.”

I would kill for more YJ Jason… there’s substantial creative overlap between UTRH and YJ. However, I doubt we’ll see much All Caste stuff with them, because they’re not well fleshed out and because I imagine they’ll want to focus more on League internal politics if we go that route.

3 Likes

I’m desperately hoping it goes like your theory. I’ve had so many different Lazarus Pit theories after seeing that episode (especially with the tie in comics particularly #11).

Also I’m still dying for more platonic Talia and Jason interaction, please YJ and BTAS Comic don’t let me down.

Also random talk about Jason’s new look in RHATO just to stay on topic lol. I honestly don’t mind it too much as long as the right artist gets it. Alex Maleev did absolutely beautiful work with Event Leviathan. Pete Woods also did pretty decent in my opinion with the outfit, just not with Jason’s face although that got better later on. I don’t know who the artist/artists are now but from some panels I’ve seen. It’s not the best artists for his new look…

Needless to say though I desperately want RHATO Jason to go back to his old uniform. But who knows how long that could take.

2 Likes

My thoughts on the new outfit: I can dig the new mask and hood setup. I miss the helmet, but it fits the name, and it has a lot of flexibility for showing emotion, etc. The weird vest part, however, loses me.

(I’m glad they let him grow his hair back out, though. The buzz cut did NOT work.)

4 Likes

Only Rebirth that’s available here (DCU). I enjoyed reading it so much. I also am a fan of the new costume. My brothers and I call it the MK One [×]

5 Likes

I looooove the rebirth version!

6 Likes

I love Rebirth, but New 52 was kind of hard to read at times. There are some good stories in there, but Rebirth has been more consistent.

5 Likes

I disliked New 52 because of Starfire and the fact that Arsenal didn’t have a child. It also seemed to not focus on Jason enough in my opinion for a series which title started with Red Hood. Just my opinion. I enjoyed Rebirth a lot better but I dislike the outfit change. I know. I don’t take change easily, but I liked the way his old outfit and it’s helmet made him seem. It just made him seem a bit more like he didn’t care how he looked. The new outfit just seems like they are really trying to make it edgy. But like I said earlier, that’s just my opinion.

3 Likes

Indeed. Particularly since the New 52 run was not my favorite, well the majority (I thought Tynion did a good job with the Untiled and All Caste). But what’s interesting about that is Lobdell wrote the majority of the New 52 Red Hood, and has written the entire Rebirth era run, and while the direction lately has gone in a less desirable way for me, I think the first 25 issues were amazing, and it’s a credit to Lobdell IMO. He turned a corner during Rebirth and I think that would make for some interesting discussion over at RR club​:four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

We will get there soon. Jason is dying next week.

2 Likes

Reading DCeased: Unkillables, I’d love to see Tom Taylor get a crack at RH in his title. He seems to have a great grasp on Jason. Won’t spoil the scene, but there’s an inscription Jason writes on a gravestone which shows Tom Taylor completely understands Jason’s character imo. I think he’d be great on RHATO​:four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

Woah!

1 Like

Yeah, but until then, I’d like to get a few comments in my Ten Nights of the Beast discussion thread! :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, though, thanks to the club members for jumping into this RHATO thread and starting up an interesting chat!

4 Likes

Which club is the Beast thread? There’s so many I’m a part of lol. I have some thoughts on that story. First one comes to mind, is how underrated it is. It doesn’t get mentioned ever. Seriously. And I thought it was great. In fact I believe it was the first time in a comic they used the technique of giving a comic storyline its own title card on the cover. While stories overlapped before then certainly, I think that was the first story that was an “event” within a solo, ongoing book, i.e. the special logo and lettering on the cover. Anything else I’ll save for the thread​:four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Here you go:

2 Likes

I see where you’re going with a different voice actor playing a younger Jason, but then again, Frank Welker played Fred Jones in “Scooby Doo!” for years. Frank was probably much older than a high school junior or senior.

2 Likes

Depends on if you’re referring to the New 52 or Rebirth series. I read the Rebirth series, but not the New 52 series.

2 Likes

How do you join the club, it seems like something I might want to do. That was next time I see or make a post like this I’ll be able to contribute more.