Favorite Batman Run/Story Arc?

Loved James Tynion’s Detective Run as well as Scott Snyder’s Detective and Batman run. Big fan of what Tomasi is doing with is Detective comics run rate now. Big fan of Grant Morrison’s run on Batman and Robin too. But really can’t pinpoint my favorite run of all time, just to many good runs.

1 Like

My favorite Morrison stuff was his first run on Batman Inc - such a cool idea, and so many interesting characters highlighted.

2 Likes

My favorite run is the short-lived Barr/Davis run on 'Tec, which I happen to be covering in my book club this week. My second-favorite run is Morrison’s, which is currently being covered by the co-leader of that same book club.

And yes, it is pure coincidence that the club is currently reading through my two favorite runs at the time you made this thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Only if you like seminal, character-defining works of genius with excellent Neal Adams art as a bonus.

4 Likes

I also personally recommend Marv Wolfman’s Batman (lesser-known but really underrated run), Chuck Dixon’s Detective Comics, and Paul Dini’s Detective Comics.

3 Likes

And just the right amount of Bronze Age silliness…

Batman bullfighter

4 Likes

Ha! That’s perfect! :cow:

1 Like

One thing that the Bronze Age Batman stories (starting with Robin going to college in the Frank Robbins run and ending with the arrival of Frank Miller’s Year One) did masterfully was finding the right tonal balance: not too serious and not too silly.

They’re just goofy enough to be awesome…

Batman 244 fight

…but not so wacky that the drama falls flat.

3 Likes

My favorite is Scott Snyder’s run because I like the horror element he put into Batman, plus his stories with the Joker are some of the best Batman stories I have ever read.

1 Like

The news section of this app was talking about Jim Starlin’s run. Is it good?

What (in your humble opinions) is the very best Batman run ever written. Personally, I am a massive fan of the Tom King run. I know that the run has received some flack, but I’m just a sucker for the way that King spends time exploring what makes Batman (and Bruce) tick. A particular standout from this run is the war of jokes and riddles, an absolute modern masterpiece of Batman storytelling.

4 Likes

I am with you on the King run as a whole, though War of Jokes and Riddles was actually a low point for me. :slight_smile: