[Renegade Robins: Damian Wayne] Week Three: Battle for the Cowl [March 9-22]

220px-Batman_676

Hello again Son of Batman fans and welcome to another session of Renegade Robins Damian Wayne Book Club. This week we will be tackling a couple of stories that happened just before Bruce’s “death” in Final Crisis and the resulting battle for the legacy of Batman that occurs after. Damian, while not Robin yet, still has a role to play here even if these stories don’t really focus on him. Let’s get started then shall we

Son of Batman News:

Currently on DCU:

• Adventures of the Super Sons #8 -3/10
  • Teen Titans #28 -3/24

Interesting tibits for this week’s issues:

• Just for reference here’s where the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh first appeared way back in Batman #113. Unfortunately its not been digitized as yet. To bad I’d really like to read it.

unnamed

• Also for you Jason Todd fans Jason does make an appearence in Battle for the Cowl. Not one of his better moments for certain but still you can’t fault a guy who wants to be Batman, can you?

Other Robin News:

What to read (12 issues): I know it’s a lot of issues this time but for the sake of continuity I thought it better to read through the whole of this not just the issues Damian was in.

* Batman: R.I.P (Batman #676-681)

* Batman: Last Rites (Batman #682-683)

* Battle for the Cowl #1-3

Discussion Questions:

1. In these issues Damian seems intent on defending his father and his legacy. What do you think his motivations behind this are?

2. Who was your favorite villain in RIP?

3. How do you feel about Alfred giving Damian a Robin suit so he could start “earning his keep”?

4. How did you like Damian’s interactions with Squire?

5. Anyone out there wish they could read the first appearence of the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh

And that’s all for this week my friends.

• Be sure to check out our companion club Renegade Robins: Jason Todd next week as Jason Todd becomes a Legend.

• And stay tuned because in two weeks on Renegade Robins: Damian Wayne: Batman and Robin are Reborn and a new era of the Dynamic Duo beguns!

3 Likes

I’m kinda glad that RR is killing off Batman before it kills off Jason. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, if you’ve never read RIP before, all I can say is, “Stick with it.”

3 Likes

This post is not quite ready yet all. Sorry but my phone is kinda flipping out a nd it’s not taking the updates I’ve been trying to make.

Edit: All good now.

2 Likes

RIP is buck wild, but I absolutely love it.

1 Like

Do I have to stick with it for Battle for the Cowl, though?

:nauseated_face:

3 Likes

It’s not the best story in the world but Damian has more of a role in it than he does in the other issues here.

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It is rather ironic at that @AlexanderKnox.

1 Like

I don’t get that from him…he seemed more just along for the ride in these issues. That, and picking up ladies for rides in the Batmobile.

Um…what?

The Green Vulture. Him, and Le Bossu.

That was nice. Alfred knows all of these people better than they know themselves, and he saw what was coming (and needed).

That was cute. He seemed more like Damian in that scene than in the rest of the series.

I think I actually have, although I can’t remember when or where…

1 Like

I wonder if was in a collection of some sort. I could have swore that I’ve read it somewhere as well but darned if I can remember where or even when.

This one?

2 Likes

Might have been. I haven’t read that in a long while.

Edit: I might have also ran across the story in my uncle’s collection back when I was a kid.

2 Likes

In terms of it being on DCU, it was adapted for an episode of Batman: Brave and the Bold called “The Super-Batman of Planet X,” which guest-starred Kevin Conroy as the Batman of Zurr-En-Arrh.

2 Likes

Thanks @Jay_Kay. I remembered seeing that episode a while back. Here’s a link to it should anyone want to watch it.

“The Super-Batman of Planet X”

3 Likes

Did someone say, “Watchalong”?

(Can we get away with a watchalong for something that doesn’t actually have Jay or Damian in it? If so, I’ve wasted so many opportunities to feature episodes that showcased the villains Jason has faced in his pre-Crisis run! I let Crazy Quilt slip through my fingers!)

:thinking:

I don’t know…but it is our club and we are the ones that make the rules here so…Lets take a poll shall we…

Should we do a WAL for “Super-Batman of Planet X”?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I voted yes, because…why not? But I don’t do a whole, whole lot of WALs.

If we did a WAL how would people feel about a late night one? Say 11 or so central time on a Friday or Saturday?

1 Like

On the Damian front, he seems wildly out of character in Battle for the Cowl. It’s really odd coming from a person who had been a collaborator with Morrison.

3 Likes

Damian is a character that is pretty difficult for some writers to handle well for some reason. He’s a bit like Jay in that respect.

Also what do you guys think about having the WAL either next Friday or Saturday night around 11:00pm or so?

2 Likes

I’m fine with that. We’d need to wrap it up before the Flash WAL, of course.