Favorite Batman Run/Story Arc?

My favorite Batman run is Morrison’s from Batman and Son to Batman Inc. My favorite solo arc is definitely Black Mirror. What about you?

3 Likes

Well what got me into comics was Tony S. Daniel and Grant Morrison. I picked up issues 692-699 of Batman after losing my original set due to moves. This is the storyline that sold me on Dick as Batman. I finally am completing the whole Batman and Robin series by Grant as well.
In Daniel’s story, the idea that Black Mask was a Hamlet type character and the keeper of the insane . “Spoiler”. Black Mask the whole time was Jeremiah Arkham is epic. Daniels art is perfect. The way he echos such a dark story with tone is crazy. I mean he made the villain Reaper into a Jewish concentration camp survivor who’s trauma was the reason he killed.
Morrison’s run on Batman as a whole from what I understand epic in scope. My only influence of Grant’s was his short 16 issue run on Batman and Robin. To clarify I did dabble with the Return of Batman and Batman Inc. Though those 16 Issues of Batman and Robin sold me on Damien as a character. As a person at the time when it was coming out, just getting into comics these issues were what sold me on how best comics can be.
I mean who doesn’t love Professor Pig or how nutty the idea for a villain was Pink Flamingo. The originality alone was what stood out for me. I also miss the odd vehicles that I feel current Tom King’s run is missing. Even Snyder and Capullo played with the camp with Bat Bunny. Sorry for wall of text but these stories I am rereading and realizing why I loved Tomasi and Gleason’s Superman run so much. They focused less on the deconstruction of Batman or a character in general and just told great superhero stories.

Thanks for reading this if ya get through it.

1 Like

Batman The Black Mirror by Scott Snyder is my favorite. It’s haunting and has amazing art with twists and turns

1 Like

Death in the Family

1 Like

Hush. I absolutely love it.

3 Likes

Earth One
Year One
Zero Year
The Laughing Joke
No Man’s Land
Hush
Under The Red Hood
Long Halloween
Dark Knight Returns

1 Like

Death in the Family
Under the Redhood
The dark knight returns
Year One
Legends of the dark Knight
Court of Owls (amazing)

My list is not in order

2 Likes

Pre-Crisis: Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers on “Detective Comics” in ‘78. I think most of those are available here on the app.
Len Wein did a pretty good run on “Batman” in the early ‘80s that’s been collected in a nice hardback.
Also, Gerry Conway’s run not long after that is another favorite of mine. That’s where Jason Todd shows up for the first time.

2 Likes

Court of Owls/Night of Owls
Hush
Anarky
Long Halloween

1 Like

Court of Owls
Year One
Long Halloween
Dark Victory

To name a few.

1 Like

Loved King’s run up to Batman/Catwoman wedding classic I say the death of Jason

1 Like

Jeremy_G, thank you for mentioning both Len Wein and Gerry Conway and their contributions to the Batman. Those were great comic books by two of the greatest scribes this medium has ever seen. I am also a fan of Chuck Dixon’s run on Detective Comics (accompanied by Graham Nolan), the short but impressive run by Archie Goodwin in Detective Comics (assisted by the great Jim Aparo) and the Gardner Fox and John Broome 60’s run (delineated by the master, Carmine Infantino). And saving the best for last: O’Neill and Adams. They redefined the character fifty years ago and recast the Caped Crusader into the Dark Knight–THE BATMAN. I’m sorry I can’t stop there. With so many talented people working on The Batman these past five decades, I feel compelled to name as many as I can. Here goes: Bob Haney, Ross Andru and Mike Esposito, Steve Englehart, Marshall Rodgers, Terry Austin, Dick Giordano, Dick Dillin, Irv Novick, Don Newton, Curt Swan, Frank Miller, David Mazzucchelli, Bob Brown, Joe Giella, Frank Giacoia, Murphy Anderson, Marv Wolman, Frank Robbins, Gene Colan, Robert Kanigher and–oh well you get it. A wealth of great talent on one of comic’s seminal characters. We have been blessed.

2 Likes

May the comic gods forgive me as I forgot the architect–Julius Schwartz. The man who “big banged” the Silver Age into existence.

2 Likes

Julius Schwartz was a genius.

2 Likes

Doug Moench/Kelly Jones run on Batman between Prodigal Son and Cataclysm (The Black suit days)

2 Likes

It’d probably be Norm Breyfogle’s run on Detective comics, though Batman related it would be Catwoman by Darwyn Cooke and Ed Brubaker.

1 Like

Detective Comics 471-476 Classic.

1 Like

Solo arc would be Black Mirror, Snyder’s first take on Dick Grayson as Batman with Jock’s dark and twisted artwork really spoke volumes.

Run would have to be the complete Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale run with Long Halloween and Dark Victory. I don’t know but Loeb really knows how to bring the Mystery back into Batman.

1 Like

What is the single greatest run on Batman? Not necessarily the most influential, just the one that does the best job handling the character. Also, Frank Miller and Alan Moore do not count, as they have only done limited series and one-shots with the character. Here are some well-known/well-regarded runs to jog your memory:

-Grant Morrison
-Scott Snyder
-Peter J. Tomasi
-Steve Englehart
-Dennis O’Neil
-Alan Grant

My vote goes to Morrison. Excellent use of obscure Batman stories, a clear understanding of the character, and (of course, the most important) fun to read, it’s just the best.

4 Likes

Bill Finger’s run, 1939-1965. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes