Discussion and Interest Check: DCU RPG Group

I certainly don’t think Mods would need to run all (or even any) games, we just want a ‘place’ designated with a bit of structure on guidance for those of us who want to run games or longer campaigns. Here are a few of my favorite Play-by-Post sites that focus on RPGs (whether dice-based or freeform):

To recap, if we had a club or forum category area to put these three subcategories:

• Roleplaying Actual Play (Discussion of potential games and recruiting for new games)
  • Roleplay-By-Post Play Forum (In-character posts for RPG games, each game has their own thread)
  • Roleplay-By-Post Meta Forum (Out-of-character posts for RPG games, each game has their own thread)

We’d have all we need to start building this sub-community. Maybe a publicly visible demo game or two by the Mods could kickstart things. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

For those who are new to Play-by-Post, here is an example of a Superheroes game using the “Masks” RPG.

Masks Play-by-Post Example

From a community engagement perspective, a typical Play-by-Post (PbP) game will generate 10-25 posts a day (or more) for each game that is running. PbP is a lot of fun!

5 Likes

I’m interested in this.

I’ve been considering running a series of games on here. I was directed to this thread when I asked the mods for some advice. Did this end up going anywhere? Any interest if I do GM?

I was planning a series of shorter campaigns done on DCU. I was planning to use a custom system I’ve been working on designed for beginners. I have more than this but I want to check on practicality and interest before I put too much in.

2 Likes

Wow where has this thread been all my life? I’ve been brainstorming some similar forum gameplay for a bit now. You should check out my game thread:
Trinity Bash! (A Very Basic RPG)
TrinBash

As the title suggests it’s very simple, but it hits on some of these elements. I can already tell you that the more simple the better. I really wish the threads had more tools to aid with gameplay but you pretty much have to rely on the players to understand and self-enforce the rules (and do the math)

And however you keep score or make shared information available to the players is a challenge. You can post a wiki somewhere in the thread for this (I suggest the first few posts), but as the game progresses those posts will be further down the chain and harder to find.

As someone previously said, a game like this would work best with a small and dedicated group. I don’t think there’s a huge appetite for highly complex games–I could be wrong–but I myself would love to participate and hear more about the system you’ve developed.

2 Likes

I had seen your thread, it’s very fun. Mine was going to be more story based and a pinch more complex though so I figured they were different enough that I wouldn’t step on toes. My idea was this (this is written for rpg players, the game will be much simpler):

Have the initial post explain the rules and the second post have player info, both would be edited as needed. That way you can always just bounce to the top to check.

The system I would use is a custom system for beginners I don’t mind explaining fully but is set up in such a way that all the players have to do is come up with a character, play, and roll. No math or anything on their end unless they want it. I should say, the player can choose to do a little more to match their skill level.

The system uses 2d6 and 1 coin. There are two reasons for this, one is really complicated but the other is just that most beginners are more comfortable with d6s.

The system is built around multiples of 3 so it would work best with 3, 6, 9, or maybe 12 players (9 would be the most I’ve ever done before, 12 would be a lot for me to keep up with but feasible if the demand is there).

The idea I had was for a series of short campaigns. Some enemy has captured all the Lanterns of every core, the players come across rings of their choices and have to save them. Batman and the batfam are busy, the players decided to become Gotham vigilantes and stop a crime spree. I had tentative ideas for a JLD mission and a Metropolis mission. The idea was to rotate players so that everyone gets a turn and the different areas of DC are covered.

I’m known for being a bit long-winded. Sorry about that. Let me know if their are any questions. I’ll mark you down as one potential player, any others?

2 Likes

Just an update, life stuff came up. I’m still planning to do this at some point. I started preparing already. It probably won’t happen for another bit though. Vote now for what you want the first mission to be based around when I do it!

Choose top 2. Vote for what you would be willing to play.
  • Street level vigilante (Batman, GA, Blue Beetle, etc)
  • Metropolis aliens
  • Green Lantern/space
  • Magic/JLD
  • Earth 2 WWII
  • Street level mystery (Batman, Question, etc)
  • Suggestion
0 voters
3 Likes

First game is completely prepared. You’ll play as Arkham citzens (guards, doctors, visitors, etc) during a mysterious breakout. Sort of like Clue if the hallways had Zsasz and Joker running around in them.

Right now, I don’t have the time to DM it but as soon as I do, I’ll launch it. Aiming for Thanksgiving, but at the latest mid December.

To prep and get excited in the meantime, you can go ahead and get an idea for what original character you want to play as. My only conditions are they can’t have powers (or at least not crazy ones), they have to be willing to help the group stop some bad guys, and they need a name, age, pronouns, reason for being there, weight, and height. If you struggle, feel free to ask me anything. I’ll also probably have a premade player character sheet ready to go if someone needs it.

(I’m being a bit loose on the original characters and powers bit but the idea is that you are close to average and I think original characters will be more site rules on fan fic friendly.)

2 Likes