Dear DC Diary

Dear DC Dairy
I read death of the family and its tie ins
still a really good comic even years later would recommend

2 Likes

Dear DC Diary,

i encountered a brainiac who thinks Batgirl got canceled because she’s a gender-flipped Batman and that’s too “woke”

i told him she’s been a character since the 1960s, and called him a mean word

8 Likes

I read more Justice Society

6 Likes

Oh, “woke” complainers annoy me so much. I heard someone point out that if people think the current Marvel movies are too “woke”, then imagine how much people are going to complain about the X-Men movies.

4 Likes

Someone bringing out the “woke” complaints is a perfect indicator that they don’t actually know what the hell they’re talking about

3 Likes

And for added measure, this doofus also misused “gaslighting” (and he was the victim, obv). But appropriating ideas and then misapplying them until nothing means anything anymore IS an effective strategy

center-cake-piece

4 Likes

Something tells me this guy only watches the movies and doesn’t know :poop: about comics. I had a guy try to tell me that Batwoman isn’t a real character (keep in mind this was in 2016, pre the Batwoman show) and uh… I literally had proof of otherwise. But I was just a 14 year old girl at the time, so what did I know? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Woke, not woke, progressive, liberal, conservative, right, left… I tire of labels society puts on everyone and everything. There’s usually more to real life people and issues than can be conveyed in a meme,
tweet, or other random internet post. I try to teach that to my kids, but it’s difficult in our current climate. A lot of folks see something and go along with it, instead of stopping to think, understand, do simple research.

Sorry, I know your comment was specific to the situation you faced, and I went all meta on you. It just triggered that response.

3 Likes

gatekeepers who haven’t even looked behind their gate :facepalm_catwoman:

3 Likes

Dear diary,

As a huge fan of DC Comics, the recent years have been mixed. Ever since The Dark Knight Rises came out a decade ago, I feel like DC hasn’t really been getting the consistent worldwide acclaim it used to get like those times. Now, of course, there have been movies that have come out in the past 10 years which are absolutely amazing (BvS, ZS’s JL, TSS)! But a lot of them aren’t great either, making the whole world thrash on them (WW82).
Also, the new Warner Bros. and Discovery merger has been cancelling a lot of the things that I absolutely love from DC (Young Justice). It even lead to other projects being discontinued even after they were already filmed (Batgirl)! This merger could benefit the future of DC properties, but for now, I personally believe it is destroying it.
I just want DC movies and shows to be as great as they were back during the era of The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. For me, that was such a magical time for DC Comics and specifically, Batman, ofc. I was 7-years old when The Dark Knight Rises came out. When I watched it in theaters back in 2012, it automatically became 1 of my favorite DC movies ever made! Those same exact feelings I had during those days are the ones that I want back today! Just got to stay positive for the future, I guess.

4 Likes

Hey… it’s all good, and all will be good :slightly_smiling_face:.

DC has been around for close to 85 years and has went through all kinds of ups & downs. If that’s not a sign of endurance, I don’t know what is. There are still dozens of comic series and a bevy of shows and movies to enjoy. Don’t fall for all the doom & gloom stuff, and don’t worry about the perceived overall popularity. You’re a DC fan, so you’re part of the “in” crowd :wink:. Find something(s) they offer that you like and have yourself a good time with it. If you’re looking for recommendations, we’re all happy to help here. All the other stuff, the cuts, cancellations, etc, all that will eventually sort itself out.

Don’t mean to tell you how to feel, friend. Just don’t like seeing all the recent news put people down, when there’s still plenty of good DC stuff to go around :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

I totally agree. There’s still great DC things out there, including the comics, ofc. But I’m just want them to see a greater future. I personally want the SnyderVerse to come back.

3 Likes

I’m with you. I like the Snyder movies as well, a lot. I have come to accept that the Snyder days are probably behind us though. Just like there was good DC stuff before and during Snyder’s tenure, there can very well be good stuff after. Future’s not written :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

True, true

2 Likes

I have to bring this up. I heard a rumor that the creators of the Batwoman show had no idea Batwoman was already a character and were making a show about a gender flipped me.

That sounds like a load of utter bs. Unless you have something to back up such a claim, there’s just nothing to indicate that’s remotely true

1 Like

Dear DC Diary,

Some random DC ramblings:

• Mezco announced a Batman figure I like based on his Golden Age appearance and I managed to steer clear, for now. Why am I even writing about this? Who cares? Eh, it’s a diary entry.

• I’m starting to collect comic book variants. Historically, I haven’t purchased a whole lot of floppies, but that is slowly changing. Will limit myself to Superman variants of interest, no regular pull lists or anything like that. Will also continue to read all my comics digitally.

• All the WBD DC related news lately have been a bummer. I’m taking my own advice from somewhere up there :point_up_2:, and enjoying the content that I like, without worrying too much about a future that is beyond my control. It is very curious, however, where all this is eventually going. I hope we hear some positive news soon.

• I added the Black Adam comic back to my Comixology subscriptions. Though not what I thought it was gonna be, I’m too intrigued by the character not to give it an extended chance.

• I’ve said this elsewhere, but I look forward to a time when we get some Batman comics that are not as gloomy as what we currently have. Having said that, Ram V’s Detective Comics is pretty dark, and also pretty darn good.

• Warworld Apocalypse next week! Can’t wait to see how this epic Superman adventure ends. Been a heck or a ride so far.

• Been years since I’ve done so, but I’m going through all the Superman Fleischer shorts. Those cartoons are masterpieces. Making me want to do an extended dive into Golden Age Superman.

3 Likes

Du du du. Dooo-doooo.

1 Like

I read more Justice Society

2 Likes

Broke: “Batgirl is a gender-flipped Batman”

Woke: “Batgirl has been around since the 1960’s”

Bespoke: “Batgirl’s movie was too powerful and would have made all other movies obsolete so it can never be shown”

Sweet.

4 Likes