DCU: What Do You Like About DC Universe? And What Would You Change?

Oh damn didnt even know it backtracks im getting it but just waiting for improvements

Thank you all so much for your feedback! Every comment helps us make this service better for you all!

But thatā€™s the thingā€¦Iā€™ve read several of the older scans and they arenā€™t ā€œcleaned upā€ at all. They pretty obviously are just pirate scans with the non-comics material and the scanner calling cards removed. Which again, is fineā€“itā€™s their legal right as owner of the copyrights. But if thatā€™s all theyā€™re doing itā€™s hard to understand what actually is keeping the library as limited as it is. And with the video content less and less exclusive by day (and likely to eventually all end up on HBO Max) the comics are pretty much the only thing that gives this service special value.

Scanning also is not a legitimate excuse for the lack of modern, post-digital titles. Watchmen is a currently-running TV series with the movie adaptations on this service and yetā€¦no Before Watchmen to read. Why on Earth? Itā€™s not even good cross-promotion.

Thatā€™s something youā€™ll have to ask the admins about in regards to Before Watchmen.

Weā€™ve got an extensive library here. Remember, around April they added almost 22,000 comics. Iā€™m sure that didnā€™t come easy.

I really do enjoy the app and itā€™s accessibility, I love the wonderful work that developers have put into this service and I really appreciate the collection of media on here. That being said, I really would use this app FAR MORE IF IT WERE ON MY PLAYSTATION 4. Thatā€™s not said in anger, thatā€™s just the fact that Iā€™ve spent many nights trying to find something to watch on my tv because Iā€™d like to be able to use my phone while watching something like Titans or Young Justice or literally any of the amazing content they have on here, seriously Iā€™m absolutely in love with all the original series especially Alan Tudykā€™s performance as Mr. Nobody in the Doom Patrol, he was amazing and the most comically lovable villain ever. I really would watch it so many more times over if I could just watch it on my big screen instead of my phone. I know the reason why itā€™s still not available on PS at all is because of a business based decision somewhere in the mix and I just wish a deal would be made because I really am super jealous of my Xbox owning friends.

1 Like

Hey @steveo2112, totally understand where youā€™re coming from - I do want to correct one small misconception, only the first episode of Harley Quinn is being aired on TBS.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know, weā€™ll look into this- Itā€™s hard to imagine, but as we released 95% of the entire library in March of 2019, weā€™re still doing maintenance on our collections. Thatā€™s why we offer the ability for members to point out potential gaps as we work with our digital services team. Iā€™ve already put in the request to the publishing department and will let you know the status of the response.

Given the breadth of the endeavor to digitize comics, it would be SUPER helpful to let us know which scans are unclean. We can then give this feedback to our archives department and they can look into if there are cleaner pages available.

The best place to provide this feedback in this Master Topic- weā€™re rather proud of the feedback loop weā€™ve created there to continue improving the comics section:

Hi OranDrite! As Iā€™m sure you know, these issues can be incredibly interwoven, particularly when we start talking about issues that are published as prequels, Issue #0, etc. many years later. Part of what DC Universe has done to try and mitigate some of this confusion is createā€¦ COLLECTIONS! A very good example of this is our Crisis on Infinite Earths collection that you can find here:

Is there a specific storyline youā€™d like us to assemble for you? Let us know!

Heya! Is this the same as our ability to save an entire series, or different? Currently, if you go to a series page like, say, Arrow:

There is a button that reads +Save, which allows you to add the entire series to a saved spot in your lists. How can we change this to be more like how youā€™re envisioning? Inquiring minds want to know!

So what I mean is what youā€™re talking about, but specific to storylines instead of series. For example, Iā€™m making my way through the sinestro corps war right now. As you probably know it spans several series with crossovers and tie ins. Right now, my two options for reading the storyline in full is either go to the comics tab, choose storylines, and find it, or save several different series at once, and switch between them. Both of these options require multiple clicks through the app. Iā€™m suggesting that we the readers be able to save storylines to a list in the same way you save series. That way thereā€™s an easy way to find your storyline without clicking through 1000 things or switching between series. Itā€™s just a little thing to add to the overall user experience.

P.s. since your reading this, a FANTASTIC addition to this idea is the ā€œreadā€ indicator after youā€™ve completed a comic.

2 Likes

Ah, I gotcha @AncientOne12- Iā€™ll pass this along. Part of the challenge is that our metadata doesnā€™t automatically link the storyline across seriesā€™, so our Master of Collections is currently hard at work doing the manual effort of putting them together in our collections. I will simultaneously let our development team know about your technical request, and our Master of Collections know about a request for a Sinestro War Corps collection (hopefully it can get done before youā€™re done reading it!)

A ā€œreadā€ indicator is a very frequent request- one of my favorite songs to sing to the devs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Weā€™ll keep you posted on future releases! Since the holiday is upon us, our next robust release will most likely not be till February, so your patience is definitely appreciated :slight_smile: Thanks for the feedback!

Donā€™t worry about it, take your time, no rush. I think itā€™s clear you guys are trying hard to make this app successful and I love what you guys have done so far. Iā€™m more than happy to wait and see where things go from here, just wanted my two cents out there :blush:. Keep up the hard work :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It looks like this topic is to report bad scans, not entire series that are missing in spite of the claim that ā€œ95% of the entire libraryā€ is available. Just in the last week I have had no luck finding
Millennium
Spectre (1987)
Before Watchmen
Hero Hotline
Inferior Five
Vext
Angel and the Ape (any series)
Martian Manhunter (1988)
Warlord (1992)
Secret Files and Origins
Whoā€™s Who in the DC Universe
ā€¦I could go on but I neednā€™t.
The idea that this site has 95% percent of the DC Comics library on it is fundamentally dishonest and you have to know that.

Iā€™d love of you guys switched to a star system for all the content instead of a thumbs up. And the star system would worl similar to netflix where the the stars represent rhe general average rating said content has.

I donā€™t understand what the like system even does for comics

Think the ā€˜95%ā€™ comment meant 95% that has/had already been digitizedā€¦not the entire DC library

1 Like

@LK3185, you beat me to it lol

Yes, the 95% is in reference to whatā€™s already been digitized

2 Likes

It is with a heavy heart that today I had to cancel my subscription. Unfortunately my wife was unexpectedly laid off. But mods please know that it has nothing to do with the service. I love the service and will be back as soon as we are back on our feet.

1 Like

Iā€™m so sorry to hear. I hope you and your wife are okay and that youā€™re able to get back on your feet!

2 Likes

I am really tired of comic series from previous years on here that are incomplete. I get to starting a series to reach the end and poof no conclusion because someone didnt upload the last comic in the series or who knows why.

It would be greatly appreciated for reading any comic series on here, to have some kind of link in the main series, that one can click on and get information as to how many issues are in the series, and when additional issues will be released on this website. Right now there is nothing in that regards, it is just guessing on when a series will have errors fixed, missing issues put back in or more issues released at a future date.

When one goes to other sites for purchasing physical copies of comics, such as league of comic geeks , they provide simple keys to see your pull list, when release dates are, and etc. I mention this as at least something to reference from.

1 Like