DCU Superman Book Club Week 1: Brave Beginnings and Bold Adaptations

Hey, can I also get a two-pack of Lex “New-cue-lur” Luthor and Ducky Luthor?

1 Like

You surely can!

I want a Goon Squad box set, so that Luthor can make his Bad Guy Pitch to William Hootkins’ (he played Eckhardt in Batman, for those unaware) character and the other bad guys that were in the room.

Oh, and a car for Lenny to drive around in would be (in the words of Wakko Warner) “fabu”.

1 Like

Yeah, that would be easier than having to modify my Porkins action figure. :stuck_out_tongue:

And I don’t care what anyone says about Superman IV. It has one of the best Supes lines of the series: “It’s common knowledge that you hate children and animals, Luthor.”

1 Like

Jek shall remain with the Power of the Jedi. :wink:

When, when will we get a Lieutenant Eckhardt action figure?! considers writing a postage paid letter to McFarlane Toys

The Donner era movies are just rife for a toy company to make oodles of scratch/product from. I really wish those movies and the Fleischer shorts would enter the merchandising crosshairs of DC licensees (be they toy related or otherwise) more often.

1 Like

@msgtv

Hete is an interrsting link

https://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/the-first-fleischer-superman/

1 Like

Nice, definitely on our list in the next few months

1 Like

So far I’ve only finished the Action Comics issues, but I liked them. What I found interesting reading them right now is how contemporary they still feel today, even if the way that Superman handles them is often childlike wish fulfillment.

The very first Superman starts with him rushing to save someone innocent from being put to death. There’s a big case in Texas right now that people are trying to stop the execution of man who was seemingly arrested for it by the cop who more than likely did it. The second issue is basically about the Military-Industrial Complex before it even gained the name. The third issue is about corporate greed causing harm to the workers that help make their wealth happen. It’s pretty interesting to see.

Also, hopefully this isn’t too much, but I feel like this is Superman when he’s disguised as a worker and leading these drunk coal miner tycoons and their fussy mistresses down their own unsafe mine:

3 Likes

I actually have something very similar to this from Jakks. From 2015, think it was a Christmas gift from my brother awhile back. Probably the exact same thing but the head looks different in your pic.

1 Like

What’s interesting is there’s two early stories about “war profiteering” echoing post WWI isolationism and in a little over a year Superman will be fighting “saboteurs” trying to harm the arsenal of democracy in pre-Pearl Harbor issues.

3 Likes

That goes into the theory that history is cyclical. The same patterns will always emerge.

1 Like

And Luthor in his first appearance certainly has an Axis air about him as he threatens to throw Europe into a war.

Action%20Comics%2023%20panel

3 Likes

Nice catch

2 Likes

Of course, they left themselves a little room for deniability by making Luthor an independent, puppetmaster-type mad genius who wanted to manipulate the countries into going to war so that he could take them over afterward.

Action%20Comics%2023%20Luthor%20A

Also, I’m not the only one hearing Hackman and Reeve in these panels, am I?

Action%20Comics%2023%20Luthor%20B

“Lex Luthor: the greatest criminal mind of our age!”

“You diseased maniac!”

3 Likes

Hey, is anyone able to see the photo I posted on the previous post? I’m not sure if the image is broken or if the meme is just too spicy for this site. If it is, that’s cool, just want to make sure what’s going on.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can’t see it. Could you make the post into a Wiki so that we can look at what might be up with it?

1 Like

Okay, just did.

2 Likes

Okay, so it’s certainly a broken image:

span alt class=“broken-image” title=“This image is broken”

I was hoping a link would still be in there, but it isn’t.

1 Like

Got it! Dumb meme activate! :smiley:

2 Likes

And yes, on point.

1 Like

@Jay_Kay To my knowledge, Jakks Pacific has made three other Superman figures in the DC themed line of their Big-Figs collection (which encompassed Star Wars and WWE lines as well).

One was New 52 based, the other a traditional comic based version and the last was effectively the same, but an Amazon exclusive in a cloth suit and in a really cool box that featured all manner of cool comic artwork.

The Fleischer iteration may have a different head in addition to his different paint apps. He certainly doesn’t have an animation accurate headsculpt, but given his nature as a Walmart exclusive, I can understand why Jakks didn’t engineer the tooling for an item that had a smaller than normal retail run.

Love the pic from Sunny, BTW. :+1:

@AlexanderKnox I definitely heard the voices of Reeve and Hackman when reading those panels.

1 Like