DCU Superman Book Club Week 1: Brave Beginnings and Bold Adaptations

Yes, and I happen to like my Lois extra “richy.” That’s why I love both Bryne’s and STAS’s take on Lois despite not liking their take on Supes himself. And, of course, it doesn’t get better than Margot and her patronizing talks with Clark.

1 Like

My preferred takes on Lois are when she’s a bit “richy” but within reason.

There are points in the Fleischer output where she’s just an out and out annoying “rich”.

2 Likes

In an early Action Lois says she “loathes” Clark. That’s just beyond the pale.

1 Like

Agreed. Clark would deem her “Superrich”.

How do you loathe Clark Kent? The guy’s just trying to do his job Lois. Sheesh!

1 Like

Not too long into the run, she comes across more irritated or disappointed in his being a coward, which is still a bit much but understandable in the context of a comic book world.

2 Likes

Here’s another question that came to mind regarding the Fleischer shorts:

What do you think of his costume in those compared to what his comic costume was like at the time? I always found the red belt of his FS uni to be an interesting change.

1 Like

That and the S shield was done a lot better in the shorts.

1 Like

The black shield and the darker colors in general make for a striking and memorable costume.

3 Likes

@ralphsix and @AlexanderKnox, agreed on both points.

I’d like a find a t-shirt with the Fleischer symbol, which I’m sure can be found somewhere online, but I’ve yet to see one in the wild.

1 Like

I haven’t watched the cartoons in quite a while will start tonight.

2 Likes

There are some variations of it online, but I don’t see anything licensed.

1 Like

One of the many ideas floating around in my head for the History Club is the Fleischer shorts. I haven’t looked yet, but any opinions on if there’s enough info out there about the story behind the scenes and their impact for it to work?

2 Likes

Its a bummer that the Fleischer Superman is so underrepresented in merchandise (with home video releases being the most prevalent field of merchandising for it).

I’m glad to see that Mezco has some FS action figures coming out next year. As of right now, this is the only FS action figure (eBay pic). It’s by Jakks Pacific, and is from the DC segment of their Big-Figs line. It was a Walmart exclusive I believe.

2 Likes

I imagine there’s a copious amount of information about the shorts out there. I’ve never investigated it, but given how beloved they are and their production history, there must be a trove of info available for them.

I’ll give you a nugget of info for free: The Blu-ray release of the shorts (which was not done by Warner Home Video, but a third party outfit) STINKS. Lousy transfers, the opening and closing Paramount logos are missing on each short, the company that put out the release puts their stamp on each short and it’s distracting from the overall presentation, etc.

The booklet that the Blu-ray came with was nice though. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

yes the lack of Fleischer Superman merch is a big bummer. There are a couple figures/statues but they are high in price for there size. I really hope the ones we saw for CC will be made. (Superman, Robot, Clark & Lois) Didn’t know about the Big-Fig one. Will have to get that one

1 Like

My tongue about rolled out of my mouth when I saw those Mezco Fleischer figures. They need to make a giant robot too, along with the “dinosaur”, the robot that flies (complete with an opening chest that can hold burgled loot), etc.

2 Likes

Ok so it’s Mezco that is doing those mini figs then?

1 Like

Yep. They’re doing Adam West Batman too.

I’d love to see them do Donner Era Superman. There’s at least five or six waves of product (depending on how they break it down) that can emanate from a Superman Quadrilogy line.

1 Like

Yeah that would be awesome!

1 Like

The world is seriously overdue for a Superman IV: Superman vs. Nuclear Man action figure two-pack.

2 Likes