DCU Superman Book Club Week 1: Brave Beginnings and Bold Adaptations

It is this one, then. It has the same S shield, with the black background and more curvy S. I think the light in that picture just must be reflecting off the head different in real life. Silly light.

1 Like

Watched episode 1 last night. They are beautifully rendered, the colors are incredible as is the lifelike movements. Not sure why they went with orphanage vs Kansas farmers. It’s not like they couldn’t do both as quickly. And, great take on Lane, competent adventurous reporter (an aviatrix to use the term from the time).

3 Likes

As I recall, initially the Kents took the extra mile to keep things a secret by initially secretly dropping baby Clark off at an orphanage, and then legally adopting him.

2 Likes

Finished up Actions Comics 2 and 3, my thoughts:
2-

• It’s easy to forget that Action Comics used to not just be a Superman book, then you see the cover of this issue.
  • Forgot to mention it in #1, but the whole conflict about trying to screw America into getting involved in Europe in WW2 is very topical to 1938 in particular.
  • Superman just casually throwing thugs out of high windows.
  • Glad Clark had enough free time to go enlist in a foreign army. And apparently it’s just super easy to do that?
  • Interesting to see Superman take such an unorthodox approach to stopping a munitions dealer: make him join the army and see what his weapons do to people.
  • Oh Lois, almost getting executed by a firing squad. What shenanigans you get up to.
  • First time someone notices that when Clark is gone, so is Superman. I’m sure it’s just a coincidence.

3-

• I wonder if Clark has to take into consideration how long it would take a normal human journalist to go out in the field and come back to avoid suspicious.
  • With the first two issues so heavily focusing on the feats of Superman, I like that this issue shows Clark as an effective journalist.
  • I wish I could say this fat cat executive was a cartoon caricature, but he really, really isn’t.
  • There’s something sad about the fact that Superman didn’t really have to do anything directly to get the rich idiots to go down into the unsafe mines.
  • The most unrealistic thing in this entire comic is the executive having a change of heart after experiencing the conditions of the miners.
  • OH DANG, I FORGOT TO SEND IN MY APPLICATION FOR THE SUPERMEN OF AMERICA.

Overall, I really enjoyed the Action Comics issues this week. Simple, but fun stories.

4 Likes

@msgtv I declare that “aviatrix” is the Superman Book Club’s Word of the Day. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think they have a website you can submit your application to. I’ll have Olsen look into it. steps outside the DP office Olsen! Where is that kid?!

@Arrowversity thanks for chiming in. With regards to Action #2, Superman’s casual chucking of thugs out the window stood out to me. This was definitely a Superman who didn’t pull his punches in dealing with the bad guys.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think the “superheroes never kill” crowd would probably clutch their pearls seeing some of these old Golden Age books. As I recall, in one of the stories of this era Superman straight up causes a plane crash, killing all the villains inside.

3 Likes

When the “Superman doesn’t kill” deal came up after Man of Steel came out, I thought “Oh, really? Because he kinda has, especially in the Golden Age.”. Like Cavill’s iteration, the GA Superman was also in the infancy of his tenure as a superhero and wasn’t quite “formed” as the Superman we all knew he would become.

History repeats itself.

2 Likes

My only issue with the killing in MOS is that there wasn’t some blow back or Superman saying “I’m too powerful, I can’t be the one to decide who lives and dies”

1 Like

To me, the fact that Superman howled in anguish as soon as he killed Zod showed that he did think something akin to “What have I done?! I can never do this again.”. It makes you wonder how he would have defeated Doomsday in BvS if Doomsday hadn’t got him first.

One of my favorite “Superman kills” stories is Superman v2 #22, by Byrne (his last issue in the run).

2 Likes

That’s fair. Even watching it the first time I was a little surprise the tag scene didn’t somehow address the issue instead of a throwaway scene

1 Like

It’s probably the G.I. Joe fan in me, but Superman really looks like Cobra Commander on that cover I posted.

Superman/G.I. Joe: the next great DC/IDW team-up mag. Like the Rush Hour Renegades, it’s comin’ at ya!

I prefer my Superman to not try to kill people, but I don’t hate it when he does. I think if Man of Steel had a different director or just was a better movie, him snapping Zod’s neck wouldn’t have bothered me as much as it did.

1 Like

I too prefer Superman to not kill his adversaries. When we’re talking about a Superman that fully understands what’s he capable of, and is the fully experienced hero that we know him to be, he’s smart and strong enough to defeat his foes without resorting to permanent brute force.

Exceptions sometimes have to be made, but generally The Man of Steel can get the job done without resorting to the last resort.

3 Likes

Byrne didn’t have that moment, either, but it wasn’t long after he departed that Superman re-evaluated his decision to kill Zod (with the help of a new writing team) and exiled himself to space.

Am I saying that we need a midquel between MoS & BvS where Superman escapes to the one place that hasn’t been corrupted by capitalism? Yes, yes I am. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can only guess that they read the origin from Action Comics #1 instead of the revised origin from Superman #1.

Speaking of that revised origin, it looks like Pa Kent is going full Kevin Costner with his advice to Billy Batson, er, young Clark. Mary (not yet Martha) is a tad more altruistic.

Kents%20Superman%20issue%201
“Are you saying I should let everyone die?”
“Maybe.”

1 Like

Its as if David Goyer actually read the comics at some point, and used them as a basis for his MOS script.

high fives DG

I like the dude myself. I don’t see why others don’t, but to each their own.

2 Likes

I prefer the tv Superman parents names of Eben and Sarah. It was like a writer thought “what’s the most country name I could give Pa?”

3 Likes

I wonder how many Ebens there are in the world that were named that because of Adventures of Superman. :thinking:

2 Likes

I think the one that really gets me is when people diss BvS and its depiction of Superman and then immediately suggest Superman: Peace on Earth as a superior alternative. I’m like…
Superman%20Peace%20on%20Earth
BvS%20Peace%20on%20Earth

2 Likes

Again, it’s almost like Chris Terrio and David Goyer (especially him) know the comics and referenced them in their screenplay. Wonders never cease. :wink:

Going back to the Fleischer material, here’s a look at Mezco’s upcoming figures for those who’ve not yet seen them. They’re part of the Five Points line.

5 Likes

Just watched the 2nd episode. Really great 1st scene where we only see the shadow of the mechanical monster until it lands and it’s feet meet its shadow. And if you’re going to do a statue doesn’t it ave to be of Superman spreading his cape over Lois?

3 Likes