DCU Book Club Week 5: Hawk & Dove (2011) Issues 1-5

Hawk and dove were good, dialogue was a bit weird

3 Likes

Just finished Issue #3. I wasn’t huge on Issue #1. I thought Issue #2 was alright. I really enjoyed Issue #3.Liefeld’s art is great. Gates’ Dialouge took some time to grow on me, but I love his Hawk. I loved the moment in Issue #3 where Condor straight up bit a white house guard’s head off.

3 Likes

I just remembered – when this series was coming out, Liefeld put on YouTube a video of him inking pages for this book WHILE HE WAS DRIVING. This…stunned and angered a lot of people at the time, as one might guess.

2 Likes

@Jay_Kay

Oh I didn’t know that! How bizarre.

1 Like

@MattMcDonald thank you so much, kind sir!! I was actually lucky enough to read week two unintentionally thanks to DC Daily’s recommendation lol!! (score!!!) I appreciate you hunting down the links. I’m so ready for DC Universe to update some of the kinks and make this so much more convenient for us. I know they’re working so hard to make this all better for us… This community rocks!!! Diving in now while I wait for Titans Episode 2! Cheers!

4 Likes

Don’t forget! Discussion begins TODAY at 5PM EST and lasts ALL WEEKEND!

2 Likes

So Hawk & Dove 1-5 what did everyone think?

I’m most interested to hear what everyone thought of the art in this book. So far it seems pretty mixed. One thing i have always respected about Rob Liefeld is that any book he works on just oozes 90’s comic culture. Love it or hate it it kinda feels like his signature.

Also i’m interested to know what everyone thought of the characterization of Hawk and Dove themselves. I’ll admit Hawk and Dove are in my DC blindspot, so i can’t really speak to how they were portrayed here.

I’ll be in and out all weekend! Can’t wait to hear from everyone. <3

2 Likes

I came across the Hawk and Dove '89 title about 15 years ago. I loved it. And they were largely absent or under utilized in the DCU ever since.

So when this new title came out I was thrilled.

I dig Liefeld’s art style. Especially with Hawk’s war-persona.

The story was a bit of a mixed bag that didn’t work. It tried to reintroduce these characters, give them a backstory, give them a mythology, mess with that mythology… oh and have a character arc.
It tried to do way too much… with 3 less pages per issue.

Also… I wasn’t too keen on the shift in the mythology. Originally Hawk and Dove were the avatars of chaos and order. Here it is shifted to war and peace. Not a huge change but I think chaos and order brought a better nuanced storytelling option to the table.

So I liked it… but the story suffered under the weight of trying to do to much.

“If you aim for everything, you hit nothing.”

1 Like

@Untoldpodcast

The War and peace thing felt weird because Dove was so angry a lot of the time. It wouldn’t be as weird seeing her angry if she still represented order, but i don’t really think of peace when i think of anger.

2 Likes

I went ahead and read the whole eight issues – overall, the few pros I found were weighed down by the downs.

The biggest con of this book is definitely Rob Liefeld. While he’s improved in a few ways since his more prolific 90s work, I honestly feel like that’s just made his art feel more boring than anything. Just the same man or woman with the same couple of expressions, all under the same blank background.

Writing wise, Sterling Gates tries to add some GL emotional spectrum style world building with the War Council, as well as some interesting hints of pay history between Dawn and Don Hall, but it’s all thrown by the wayside in favor of literally the dullest villains I’ve ever read in my life.

Literally, the most interesting thing that happens in this book is Deadman possessing President Obama to save Hank’s dad.

Overall, very disappointing book for these characters – which sucks, because I feel like these characters have a lot of potential for a very interesting book.

2 Likes

All imma say is, at least Liefeld tried feet

4 Likes

Most everyone always had the same expression on their faces, which was them gritting their teeth.

2 Likes

Read the rest of the arc I thought the ending was somewhat anti- climatic and the dialogue a bit corny but I enjoyed it. Read Hawk and Dove are getting a new series soon on twitter as well.

I agree with most of the comments here. The gritting teeth was a over-used. The art work was ok for me. I had no exposure to Hawk and Dove before I read the comics, and after I read it (I read all 8), I felt like I still didn’t know much about the characters. Their mythology was kinda glossed over. Something was off with the character development. Also is there more back story to the ghost guy? I felt like I didn’t get enough info on him or the previous Dove, his brother, Don.

The stuff with Deadman was established in the series Brightest Day, released just before the New 52 era. Basically, that story dealt with twelve heroes and villains being bright back from the dead for a mysterious purpose, and two of them were Hank and Deadman. Deadman worked with Hawk and Dove for a bit, and the relationship started there, and even when he died again after serving his purpose, the relationship continued.

It’s also a part of the first arc of Justice League Dark that was happening around the same time. However there, the relationship was a lot less ideal – with him using other bodies to try to continue the physical side and the like.

2 Likes

Thanks Jay_Kay for the context!

I agree with everyone else i saw way too much of the gritting teeth

Thanks Jay_Kay, that was very helpful!

The DC Universe must have great dental care.

3 Likes

Insurance in any superhero universe must be insane just on the buildings side alone.

1 Like