DCU Book Club Week 5: Hawk & Dove (2011) Issues 1-5

Just joined didn’t know a book club existed i’ll start tomorrow!!

2 Likes

Just read issue #1 the whole newscaster scene about politics really made me think many ppl would consider thats what we are living through today. Solid action throughout the book I like how it touched upon Don.

2 Likes

I’d love to be apart of this! Love the idea. I would, however, like to catch up from week one. Any suggestions on how I can go back to those posts? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Djoker-977

I really should have saved those links. I’ll see what i can do :slight_smile:

Week 2’s book was Identity Crisis and i know that book has left the service.

2 Likes

After reading the entirety of the 89 version of Hawk and Dove then realizing it was the wrong one I walked into Hawk and dove vol 5 with high expectations.

Those expectations I think where what lead me into having a bad time. This all said here is my review.

Hawk and Dove vol 5 (2011) 1-8 (as might as well its only 2 more chapters to finish off the whole series)

The character development in all 8 chapters let alone the 6 we where to read of this series is less then what transpires in some of the more dense chapters in the 89 series. The characters are more caricature like and lack any sort of depth that came from earlier renditions. Often times The characters act in ways that make little to no sense. An example of them acting in such a way was when Judge Hall slights his eldest son, despite Hank being returned from the dead, and still compares him to his younger brother as the brawn to Dons brain. Like I can understand wanting the other son back but when the son you have has somehow miraculously returned from the dead you should be a bit less of a dick (I’m not 100% certain this wasn’t retconned out but as dove was dating deadman I assume its still in the universe).

The page count compared to older comics seems extremely low and the cuts between chapters feel very jarring compared to the 89 series. The backstory although was their it wasn’t really that in-depth. It honestly felt like these where extra comics they slapped onto the end of some other bigger series only to get them out the door. The main villain of the arc condor and villainess swan look exactly like hawk and dove just a slight color pallet change. This makes the villains although are supposed to be related feel boring. The story was ok, but dynamic duos should be about the duos chemistry and what chemistry there was seemed forced at best between the two. This comic seems like its a mix between being a rebirth and a continuation as the boyfriend of dove meets her in a previous one of comic and hawk is revived supposedly in one of those one offs.

Final rating about a 6/10. Art was nice to look at, but short page count lack of any indepth character development and jarring intro to the scene as well as lack of any real sense of ending made the series meh at best. Nostalgia can only carry a series so far and this one only got it 8 saddening issues.

3 Likes

That moment you spot a couple of mistakes and wish you could take your review back down, and edit it, but there is no edit button nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

also small addition to the review the lack of supporting cast and supporting characters instead of focusing the light onto the main characters made them feel more empty. The thought bubbles where meant to remedy this but didn’t really help at all. They interacted with maybe a few other important side characters in the entire arc and only 1-2 showed up more then in one issue.

3 Likes

@DjokeR Got it!

Week 1: https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/comics/dc-universe-book-club-week_1

Week 2: https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/comics/dcu-book-club-week-2-discu

Week 3: https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/comics/dcu-book-club-week-3-night

Week 4: https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/comics/dcu-book-club-week-4-teen-

1 Like

@GanJ Agreed, maybe if Hawk and Dove are well received on Titans they’ll get a new series, as well as a Titans spinoff show. On to issue 2 because I’m bored at school. :confused:

1 Like

Matt, you have Mighty links powers!!!

Funny, I’ve been reading the 60s series and was planning on reading up to the New 52 series, but I guess I can skip to the “end.” :joy:

Read issue 2 @MattMcDonald should I just read the rest of the series and save my thoughts for Friday’s discussion?

Hope after Titans, Hawk & Dove gets their own show.

2 Likes

Thanks for the review @thaddpole!

My thoughts are similar. Everyone does feel like a caricature.

1 Like

Yeah I read this back during the big 52 explosion , I’ll be interested to read again, but maybe not the very best thing that came out of 52.

2 Likes

@thad I am happy I am not the only one to notice the low page count. You actually hit a couple things I have said as well. The characterization seemed off, it wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t great.

I FINALLY can join the book club this week cause I did my homework! The low page count meant I was able to read all five issues relatively quickly. I think I’ll finish a couple more issues and comment this weekend. @MattMcDonald - Thanks for leading this.

6 Likes

@JLWWSM

Awesome! Glad to have you!

2 Likes

Didn’t even realize it was just for the five issues, already almost through it. Just do you guys know, the whole series was only eight issues – it was one of the first series to be cancelled in the New 52 era.

1 Like

Hard to understand why

Nice characters. Never read anything about them before. The series is not that good though. Not only an ugly art but unnatural dialogues for the New 52 level. Would love to read more of them but with a more effective creative team.

2 Likes