DCU Book Club Week 5: Hawk & Dove (2011) Issues 1-5

This series sucks.

Who would even want to live in Gotham? I’d be terrified…

Anyone else read this week’s book and want to let us know what they thought?

Yeah let me try to do this issue by issue
first of all I had forgotten how short the new 52 $2.99 Comics were. in a way that was kind of part of the fun, I could buy a lot more on a given month. the stories were shorter but at least you had lots of variety for the same price as fewer number of comics for the competitors’ comics. Issue one did a nice job of introducing a valid contemporary political villian for them. issue 2 usher’s in this new super villain they’re going to be fighting that is supposed to be like a evil mirror image of them.

I was okay with that work because I’m a big fan of liefeld’s Supreme

Issue 3 played with the mystery a little more which of course entices you to keep reading. The reveal at the end of issue 3 is pretty cool, complete with mystical dagger. Of course the great moral here, only villainous evil super teams fall in love with each other while they’re at work. The good guys keep it professional in above the board.

Issue 4 reminds me why I enjoy Sterling Gates as a writer. He keeps the plot lines peppy. I believe he did Supergirl around the same time and itwas pretty good back then too. Funny twist with the swan being able to attack that man was was pretty cool and of course what happens with the billing gets broken out of interrogation again and Ice plot twist. And Sterling continues to slowly feed us answers to the mystery.

Issue 5 does a really nice job of wrapping up. this particular story cycle. it’s funny how the bad guy, by the way he just uses people to keep climbing and getting more power, reminds me a lot of the workplace for some reason. It’s not always true , but I have noticed how certain executives at the top of some companies I’ve worked at stayed there a long time and had a genius for making sure everybody else took the blame when things went bad and they would end up walking away smelling like roses. So I was okay with the artwork and I was very okay with the plot side of the writing. It’s at the stage nicely for character development and exploration.

It’s odd how we never really had it explained how the Condor and his actions / motivations had anything to do with the main background villian who had all the compelling political motivations. But overall, a fun read. Remind me again of the excitement of that roll out of the new 52 in the multiplicity of the new plot lines going on at the time. Thanks again Matt!!!

( in the issue for comment above by me " billing" is supposed to be “villain”)

Yeah again issue 4: Swan being able to attack Deadman, main villain being broken out after interrogation, both great plot points.

Wow Don thanks for that! I don’t think I’ve actually read any Sterling Gates before. I wasn’t over the moon with this book, but i really did enjoy how quickly everything moved. It was a nice change of pace.

1 Like

Sterling Gates actually did the Supergirl stories just before Flashpoint

Stop being weekly. I need binge this show. :sob::sob::sob:

Hopefully it finds its way to DC Universe soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was disappointed in this series, to be quite honest. The characterizations were flat and the Deadman romance ended way too abruptly.

1 Like

@Buddybaker

Yeah they were pretty quick to write Deadman out

Its been a little while since I read this so my memory is a bit foggy, but I remember being very disappointed. This was probably my introduction to the New 52 as I always have found Hawk and Dove an interesting concept. However, this book just seemed very generic and a bit hard to follow at times. The art also was very jarring for me. Overall, I felt like it was a decent attempt just very disappointing since Hawk and Dove are easily one of my favorite duo’s in comics. Though I prefer Hank and Don more.

3 Likes

Yeah the hawk and the dove series is here and hey it’s got Steve Ditko drawing

I’m gonna read it one day I swear

2 Likes

I’ve started to read the original Hawk and Dove (with brothers Hank and Don), and while it is not without its problems it is far better and more conceptually interesting than the New 52 reboot.

2 Likes