DCU Book Club Week 19: YOUNG JUSTICE (1998) Issues 1-7

@MattMcDonald

Yes! The ending of #5 definitely caught me off guard. I kind of wondered if they were heading in that direction when the father first told the mom that he was going to take care of it, but I didn’t imagine it would actually go there.

1 Like

If any of you have a chance, I recommend reading all of the issues that are included in the first collection. The story actually begins with Young Justice: The Secret before going into the issues we read. That first comic tells the story of how they met Secret. After issue #5, it jumps to Young Justice: The Secret Files (which is a different comic from Young Justice: Secret Files), which has a little adventure with the DEO and some other characters Secret knows. After issue 7, it goes to JLA: World Without Grown-Ups issues 1 and 2. I haven’t read those last two yet.

1 Like

As of right now, all of them are available on DC Universe except Young Justice: Secret Files.

It’s right here https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/-/39fcba3b-c51e-4ece-9957-4bbaf6f80b82

This was sooooo funny!!! Like others have mentioned, I enjoyed the lightheartedness of the series. The issues 5-7 were my favorites. As a mom, I had special appreciation for the drama in #7 - and I’ve actually seen moms behave worse than that in real life.

I like the way the author(s) captured the youthful spirit in this series.

Cassie’s hyperventilating reaction after she told the JLA off was laugh-out-loud funny.

Impulse really lives up to his name, in the best way possible.

I enjoyed the story more when the girls showed up. They add a special ingredient to the group’s dynamics.

Also when Red Tornado speaks, I listen closely. He’s the voice of reason :slight_smile:

Great pick @MattMcDonald

6 Likes

@superdccoolkid

Great to hear! Thanks for stopping by!

@beardgangtony

The art especially just oozes the 90’s. It’s great.

@laffingllamas

Thanks for letting us know! I’m for sure interested in Secret. What a cool character

2 Likes

@JLWWSM

The girls stole the show here. Especially Secret. Love that character!

2 Likes

That’s how to write a fun comic.

I was a little concerned that I had missed something, when I saw Red Tornado, then Peter David introduced him, I like Reds attitude toward the youngsters.

It’s interesting how small slivers of this title, still show up in the Young Justice series, Happy Harbor, Red Tornado, Superboy not aging as a clone, Cadmus, New Genesis Super Cycle, the JLA questioning whether they are ready, even four of the characters have aspects of four of the six members in session one.

The series does improve even more when the three girls show up.

1 Like

@Turok

Yep yep yep. The DNA of this book can be felt through a lot of the DC Universe. I can’t believe I had never read it.

@turok

I’m for sure gonna download the rest of the Issues. Thanks for dropping by!

Bubble

I already said this, but I just have to say it again, the youthful fun of this series is so enjoyable. It evoked nostalgia for the carefreeness I felt at that age. I forgot to mention I liked the super cycle story, particularly the super cycle picking its new owner and the debate over it being called a “super” cycle.

2 Likes

@JLWWSM

Super Cycle is the best

1 Like

It was such a joy rereading these issues. As everyone has said, it really hit its stride once the girls joined the group. I can’t imagine Young Justice without them.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of the parent teacher storyline, but I loved the campout. We got to learn a lot more about the characters, and how they feel about being a super hero. It also made them feel like real kids who live extraordinary lives.

Superboy talking to his shadow was one of my favorite moments. Behind all of his ego, there‘s a kid who’s terrified of everyone he loves growing up and leaving him.

All of the serious and deep moments hit so hard, because the rest of the series is so fun and irrelevant. Can’t wait to keep going with my reread of this series. Thank you Matt for choosing this comic! (Also my name is Matt too :raised_hands:t5:)

3 Likes

I really enjoyed this series. It was lighthearted and fun. There were so many enjoyable moments throughout like the girls joining the team, red tornado spending time with his daughter and the campout. Also I was getting 90s boy band vibes from superboy.

2 Likes

@longlivetimdrake

No thank You for dropping by! It’s always good to hear from another Matt!

The camp out was great and Superboy talking to himself was so very touching. Not only is he a superhero he’s also a clone. I can’t imagine how isolating that must be. So so sad.

2 Likes

@Blue_Shadow

I loved seeing Red Tornado with his daughter! Although I thought the whole “It’s Halloween so I’m pretending to be human and seeing my daughter” was a bit corny. Good moment nonetheless.

2 Likes

I love how the yj is a book that is meant for fun and a little bit of drama and character development is great as well

3 Likes