DCU Book Club Week 19: YOUNG JUSTICE (1998) Issues 1-7

@hunterprime

Glad you liked it! Thanks for dropping in!

1 Like

Young Justice Issue 1 1998.
Not sure I see the similarity between this Young “Just Us” and the dark little tragedy many of us have been watching every week lately, or how the storyline can go to something young and innocent like this to the Wagner Opera epic we have going now on the TV series.

The first issue is a lot of fun to read, going at times almost Deadpool 4th Wall on us, or more like a Mad magazine satire of Young Justice. So basically issue one is introducing the three characters along with their straight man / narrator Red Tornado, and giving them a nice fun supercycle have adventures in.

1 Like

Young Justice #2 1998.

I admit it I’m a sucker for a nonviolent resolution to a conflict in a comic book. I applaud Peter David for having that happen here!

1 Like

This series is amazing and so much fun. I love that Nightwing is apparently Robin’s parental guardian during the PTA issue.

2 Likes

Young Justice #3 1998
Old school clunky computers, “the arcane art of Cobal-lah” hahaha.

I agree it was a nice touch having Red Tornado reunite with his daughter.

The Young Mxyzptlk, prior to Young Just Us influencing him, reminds me very much of someone over on our Discord DCU Book Club Channel, but I won’t say who. since he may send me to the cornfield…

1 Like

Young Justice #4 1998
Todd Nauck’s artwork is perfect for this tongue in cheek Mad parody fun romp flip through the DC teen ager superhero index.

Funny I mentioned being sent to the cornfield for the last review; I see the villain in issue 5 is indeed someone scary who is threatening his relatives just like the cornfield Twilight Zone episode.

I’m probably crazy here, but it seems like by issue 4 we are beginning to see the ensemble for Young Justice that will sort of be around by the time the animated series kicks in.

1 Like

Young Justice #5 1998 - The big throwdown with eminently-forgetable villain Harm.

Harm’s outfit is right out of the early 90s Image Art book, right down to the red paint on face. No great explanation of his odd combo of powers, and as was noted earlier, the tone of the series shifts gears to sad and tragic, right down to daddy shooting Harm in the final panels (the relationship between harm his parents is very reminiscent of what would later be Superboy Prime’s relationship with his parents).

1 Like

Young Justice #6 (1998)-

This is more like it! Great humor, inventive mash ups with Despero, but also with individual adult Justice Leaguers and Young Justice! I liked the clever use of Despero’s host shadow for fighting strategy.

It’s a little suspicious to me how many of the characters and plot threads here show up again a few years later in Geoff John’s Teen Titans first several issues that we all read a month ago (minus the manic pacing).

1 Like

Young Justice #7 (1998)

A lot of Truth to that parents squabbling with each other at Parent Teacher conferences. Loved seeing Dubbilex in an apron!

And too funny how the girls never asked their moms for permission to go camping with the guys; equally hilarious and true to life that it would never occur to the teen boys that no mother in her right mind would agree to send their daughter camping with a guy they never met, and with no adult chaperones to boot, LOL!

I am not sure how I as the reader am supposed to take the Superboy shadow scene: check, he said he is the new never aging always a boy Peter Pan; check, Peter Pan had issues with his shadow…but where do we go from there?

Perfect ending. I’ll have to research later how this evolves into the Young Justice animated series.

Personally I would rate this an 8 out of 10. Perfect marriage of artwork with story concept. The fourth wall stuff got to be a bit much at times. I wish the tone of the series had been more consistent for the seven issues. It was all over the place during this 7 issue launch.

1 Like

Enjoyed the read! Issues 1 & 2 are good reads even if the stories were light on substance and I understand the reasons for it. Issue 3 was a new take on Mxyzptlk character, showing that there was a different side to the character at one point in time and the team sending him on course to be a pain in Superman’s backside. Issues 4 & 5 I thought really brought substance to the story, Harm was a formidable opponent for the team and the conflict between Harm and his parents was tragic and well written, the ending of issue 5 now that was some dark stuff. Enjoyed the introductions of Wonder Girl, Arrowette and Secret. Issues 6 & 7 I thought took a step back in tone from the previous 2 but were still solid, the Desperro story was a nice surprise though I’m curious about the connection between Desperro and Secret. Issue 7 was a nice story about the team bonding and up till now I was under the impression that this was the Dick Grayson Robin but that got crushed when Nightwing shows up in this issue but then again they never did drop Robin’s identity in any of the issues to this point they always called him Robin or Rob.

2 Likes