DCU Book Club Week 19: YOUNG JUSTICE (1998) Issues 1-7

Greetings!

Young Justice is back baby!

Season 3 of the show is in full gear and there is a brand new ongoing hitting the shops every month. It’s never been a better time to be a Young Justice fan!

So let’s go back shall we?

This week the club is going to be checking out Young Justice (1998) Issues 1-7.

Discussion kicks off this Friday (January 25) at 5PM EST and lasts all weekend! Feel free to leave spoiler free thoughts/impressions throughout the week!

If you want to talk about all things DC and other fun stuff DCUBC is on Discord: https://discord.gg/SUs87JP

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me via email Mattcmcd@gmail.com or on Twitter @Mattmcdonald

12 Likes

AWESOME!!!

I actually picked up that first issue of Young Justice, so this is a great wat to get to know the team!!!

3 Likes

Just recently went through a whole bunch of that book because I picked up the trades in digital trade form on sale a while back. So I already read a bunch of these not too long ago. Fun stuff!

2 Likes

Now THIS is the stuff, Professor Matt!!!

1 Like

I’m looking forward to this!

2 Likes

Mighty Endowed…

That was pretty well done.

2 Likes

I’ve read ahead a bit and it’s GREAT

1 Like

I work super early, so I fell asleep before I got to start Issue #2 but it definitely looks like a comic that doesn’t take itself too serious. This is going to be FUN!

1 Like

Just a word of warning. Issue 4 of Young Justice continues in to Young Justice Secret Files #1, which is not on the service. Also, if this is your first time reading the series, you really need to read Young Justice: The Secret #1 followed by JLA: World Without Grownups prior to reading Young Justice #1 (I would say The Secret is a definite must read, JLA not so much) Both of those are on DCU.

5 Likes

Arrgh I wish there was an edit option. I should clarify that JLA: World Without Grownups is a good story but I mean its impact to understanding what is going on with the Young Justice title is not as important as The Secret.

5 Likes

Thx!

1 Like

Yeah, Like I said, I’ve been reading it via digital trades I got on sale on Comixology a while back, and it’s kind of funny just how few issues of the regular series there are in it.

1 Like

@PeteyParker

Thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes

@PeteyParker
Thanks!

2 Likes

Bubble

1 Like

One of the things Im really liking about Young Justice, from 1998, i’ve been reading alot of serious books between The Long Halloween, Dark Victory , And Other Batman. This is all fun and about them joking with each other. Lots of throw back media jokes from yesteryear. And Leather Jacket Superboy has always been my Superboy and to see him come back in Brian Michael Bendis’s current Young Justice. Its pretty cool looking back at the team and the high jinx with Impulse who. I think I relate to Impulse the most . Issue 4 and 5 Had Secret and Harm who were also in Young Justice Animated Episode 18 “Secrets” , but conclusion is way more darker in the comic . Then the Halloween Party issue #3 with Mr myxlplyx was Fun. But Over all what keeps me turning the page is the simple stuff like the gang sitting in front of the fire and hanging out, its a change of pace from just reading the fights.

6 Likes

Some of these jokes are fantastic! I’m really enjoying the humor in these books…

(…if my kids catch me taking notes on comics I’ll never hear the last of it…)

2 Likes

Reminder book club friends we wait until Friday 5 Eastern to start doing our reviews here so there’s no spoilers before then

2 Likes

@astrowolfboy

Thanks for sharing! I really enjoy the slow moments as well.

1 Like

@hashtag

It’s a genuinely funny book!

2 Likes