DCFAC Sketch-Dump Space

It’s surprisingly difficult to avoid what are either baby hands or Mickey Mouse glove-sized fists

5 Likes

Testing out some new prismacolor water color pencils I got. Any advice or tips?

Edit: Sorry for the terrible lighting : p

11 Likes

Those colors are really lovely! I’ve never used Prismacolor’s watercolor pencils before. How do you like them?

And I’m not really in a place to recommend much when it comes to watercolors, but something I always read that seems to have good impact is always start extremely light and then build your color. It takes more time, but it lets you build more dramatic contrast, which makes the art pop

3 Likes

I like them a lot! It’s still a bit rough figuring out how to evenly get the colors down since sometimes a bit too much water activates the color differently and makes it splotchy. But aside from that bit (which all water color pencils usually have at least in my case) these are the best ones I’ve had.

4 Likes

When the stores open up again, I’ll try to pick up a few to test them out :slight_smile:

And you should check out this artist if you get a sec:
https://www.deviantart.com/nati/art/Violet-In-progress-493433936

She works with paint rather than pencil, but I think her art is a good example of layering colors and negative space. I keep wanting to try to mimic her technique to get a better hang of it.

4 Likes

No worries on the lighting, looks great!

5 Likes

Looks great!

4 Likes

I made this for my mom for Mother’s Day she is in the bottom right, What do you guys think?

11 Likes

That’s beautifully done! And given a place among such heroic moms is such a compliment! Hope she has a wonderful Mother’s Day :bouquet:

5 Likes

It looks amazing!

4 Likes

I love your new icon lol

4 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

So I was going through the thread and there is nothing short of amazing artist and writers here in the community. I use to draw a bunch as a kid but stopped around 16. The quality of my drawing was pretty much the same from around middle school till when I stopped at 16. I took one art class in middle school but it kinda turned me away from art. I didn’t like having to draw or sculpt (I was pretty good at sculpting and would love to get some of that polyclay stuff to make some DC statues one day). I have to be in the mode to draw which always seems to be late at night until my hand and eyes start to betray me lol. IDK I never cld get into just sitting down and drawling something when told to. It as to be organic/in the mood I guess.

This is fan art from @Don-El comic strip Superhero Jim. I know I butchered the hands LOL.

This is fan art from @MisfitCMJ character which I need to do some more with different angels. I wanted to have a glowing sphere of energy in her left hand but never got good with colors and only had some really crappy color pencils that when you tried to go back over anything it would remove the first layer. I messed up her right calve when inking. I feel I got the right width but the way I inked the calve muscle it looks fat but its suppose to be at more of a side angle than the other leg so it was a little wider. Also it was done with a super dull #2 pencil and plain bic pen.

I have always had a hard time with getting poses right when drawling from my imagination. I know the position of limbs are wrong and the hands are a mess. I had just gotten some fine pens and just wanted to practice so I went ahead and inked it a little.

One that I haven’t finished. I’m horrible at going back and finishing drawling. the lower part of Sup’s shoulder is a little high. I’m sure folks will know what this is from and hope any Alex Ross fans are not to offended with my attempt. Captain Marvels Lightning bolt was perfect before I went to ink it and want to get a white out pen to highlight hair and other areas.

I just did this the other night around 2 ish. Cldn’t sleep. Another one from Ross, I love his work. I will certainly get back to this one. Any Rocketeer Fans out there?

This is nothing fancy for sure but it’s the sword and gauntlet (?) from a character I made back in 4th grade. I just really love it.

14 Likes

You did better than I could with them! Hands are to hard to draw.

3 Likes

These look awesome! And Shazam vs Supes is my fav of the bunch!

I’m also a fan of Ross’ art! Right before the pandemic began, I actually started using one of the same books he learned from: Andrew Loomis’ Drawing the Head and Hands.

It’s not as intuitive as other artbooks I’ve used in the past, but so many artists swear by it. When I have more time, I plan to give it another go.

5 Likes

Thank you. it was done on the back of a review test paper and I had erased it so many times the paper was about to tear :rofl:

4 Likes

Ross’s art is always stunning. It’s just amazing. And I am not offended with your attempt @Aquamon , it’s really good!

5 Likes

Thank you I really would like to get good with color. I feel it makes all the difference. When I see the Ink panels in the back of a comic with no color it blows me away how different it looks. I’m bad at remembering or even paying attention to writers names and artist quite often. You always hear people name drop them though and I barely hear people talk about the colorist. They deserve more credit. Maybe it’s just my personal experience though and people do.

4 Likes

I feel horrible for the colorist that work on Jim Lee’s stuff! he’s amazing for sure but when I look at his black and white stuff before its colored, OH goodness I can’t make heads or tails of the background stuff! :rofl:

3 Likes

Same here. I recently picked up his giant size book JLA justice and liberty and there are a few panels I want to take a crack at. When I bought it I thought it was just a collection of his art and was happily surprised to find it was a giant comic! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes