DC Universe Superman Book Club Week 9: The Unity Saga

First let’s answer the original questions:

1- This is my second time. I’m current on the series. To confess, I skimmed through for this post.
2- Hard to choose. On one hand, I liked the dialogue between Rogol Zaar and Jax-Ur a bit more compared to Clark’s internal monologue regarding Zod. On the other hand the battle scenes with Superman and Zod fighting together were amazing. My vote goes to Superman and Zod, just because of how unexpected it was. That Zod entrance…
3- Will try to get around to watching this and post about it when/if I do.

Now to my 10 cents…I love this series. I hadn’t read a single thing by Bendis before, so no preconceived biases there. Ivan Reis, yes I have a bias, or ten. Ivan Reis doing Superman? Yeah, had me at hello. The art…I mean…this is how I picture Superman in my head. Apart from the amazing splash pages, I love how Reis is able to capture facial expressions. Look at the progression from panel to panel in this sequence:

Pair Reis’s abilities with the “voice” mentioned by other’s here that Bendis gives Superman, and I find this series very moving and enjoyable.

As far as Bendis’ writing, I have to say I like it, a lot. Superman feels like Superman. The series is never boring. In these six issues we see him:

• Save the earth from the phantom zone, while seeing all the ill effects the phantom zone has on the planet.
  • Fight an army of super powered villains.
  • Reflect on his past, yearning for his son and wife.
  • Do the “little” Superman things (like stop people from looting).
  • Team up with a long time enemy in Zod.
  • Work with the Justice League.
    I don’t know…there was never a dull moment for me, and there hasn’t been throughout the series.

One more thing I like about the Unity Saga so far? The sci fi space setting. It’s a setting I really like that I don’t come across often in my choices of ongoings. So getting it with my favorite character is a definite bonus.

Regarding Rogol’s motives and Krypton’s demise. More is revealed later in this series and in Supergirl (which really should be read with this for maximum story/effect) that fleshes out the story more. Don’t want to spoil future issues though in case we’ll be reading them here.

No exaggeration, this is up there with my all time favorites. I hope when all is said and done, Bendis and Reis end it on a high note.

4 Likes