DC Universe Superman Book Club Week 9: The Unity Saga

Definitely – nothing wrong with disagreement as long as it’s civil. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s what I love about this community. It’s possible to have a civil discussion about this topic without all the ‘Bendis hate’ drama.

2 Likes

It’s been a bit since I reread these, but I don’t recall minding anything in this particular story. There were some things I didn’t like about the intro mini, like how contrived getting the family off stage was, but by the time this rolled out the “damage” was done. I liked how epic this tale was, as Superman deserves epic problems to deal with.

I agree with y’all that the destruction of Krypton is more interesting without a villian behind it, but Rogol Zaar seems like a pretty good baddie for Supes to go up against.

Regarding Zodd, it’s very rare that there’s a story featuring him that I haven’t enjoyed him in.

Now regarding civil discoure, you all are, of course, fools if you disagree with anything I’ve ever said. :joker_hv_2:

3 Likes

First let’s answer the original questions:

1- This is my second time. I’m current on the series. To confess, I skimmed through for this post.
2- Hard to choose. On one hand, I liked the dialogue between Rogol Zaar and Jax-Ur a bit more compared to Clark’s internal monologue regarding Zod. On the other hand the battle scenes with Superman and Zod fighting together were amazing. My vote goes to Superman and Zod, just because of how unexpected it was. That Zod entrance…
3- Will try to get around to watching this and post about it when/if I do.

Now to my 10 cents…I love this series. I hadn’t read a single thing by Bendis before, so no preconceived biases there. Ivan Reis, yes I have a bias, or ten. Ivan Reis doing Superman? Yeah, had me at hello. The art…I mean…this is how I picture Superman in my head. Apart from the amazing splash pages, I love how Reis is able to capture facial expressions. Look at the progression from panel to panel in this sequence:

Pair Reis’s abilities with the “voice” mentioned by other’s here that Bendis gives Superman, and I find this series very moving and enjoyable.

As far as Bendis’ writing, I have to say I like it, a lot. Superman feels like Superman. The series is never boring. In these six issues we see him:

• Save the earth from the phantom zone, while seeing all the ill effects the phantom zone has on the planet.
  • Fight an army of super powered villains.
  • Reflect on his past, yearning for his son and wife.
  • Do the “little” Superman things (like stop people from looting).
  • Team up with a long time enemy in Zod.
  • Work with the Justice League.
    I don’t know…there was never a dull moment for me, and there hasn’t been throughout the series.

One more thing I like about the Unity Saga so far? The sci fi space setting. It’s a setting I really like that I don’t come across often in my choices of ongoings. So getting it with my favorite character is a definite bonus.

Regarding Rogol’s motives and Krypton’s demise. More is revealed later in this series and in Supergirl (which really should be read with this for maximum story/effect) that fleshes out the story more. Don’t want to spoil future issues though in case we’ll be reading them here.

No exaggeration, this is up there with my all time favorites. I hope when all is said and done, Bendis and Reis end it on a high note.

4 Likes

P.S. The arc is called Phantom Earth. Unity Saga is the name of his current epic. #1-18+ which include Phantom Earth, House of El, and President of Earth.

2 Likes

Agreed, @JasonTodd428. We can all agree to disagree when need be, but it’s just fiction afterall. Fiction we’re certainly very passionate about sure, but fiction nonetheless. The analysis of it (whether its something we like or not) is always better when we can have a mature and fun discussion of the material.

Great job so far, Team Superman, keep it up! :+1: Frosty cold mugs of Soder and Big Belly Burger for all! :beer: :hamburger: :fries:

I agree with @moro in that this debut arc definitely put the “super” in Superman in the ways he spotlighted. I always enjoy seeing Superman balance the needs of Terra Firma amongst those of the intergalactic variety.

In addition to the story and art, another plus of this story was Adam Strange. Whether he’s smooching with his lady on Rann, restoring Rann after it was stolen, standing alongside his Justice League Canada teammates and so on, I will always prop up any story to some degree so long as the Hero of Rann is present within.

1 Like

Yep, I originally wrote “divisive” but back tracked over it because of what you just said

1 Like

As some who enjoyed this the first go round, I read it now with a more critical eye. And to me this still holds up very well. Of course, we don’t have to deal with the most significant complaint yet, as Jon remains off screen for now. For issues 1-3.

!

I miss the Dominators, they were the big bad for a good while and we just don’t get to look at those lovely faces enough

Bendis can be very quippy with his dialogue, some can’t stand it I find it very entertaining and here completely in service of the story.

A Superman IV reference turns a joke character into something very impressive

Love this, a very Superman thing to do, ask Livewire to help

Story wise my only complaint is that Earth in the Phantom Zone is too good an idea. You come up with that, and you take your time and do a mini-event.

3 Likes

Off topic I know but mainly my complaint with the Jon situation stems from a long standing dislike for suddenly aging up characters. It’s just a pet peeve I have unless the set up is handled really well. I felt the entire thing was badly bungled from the start though and to be honest that soured me on the whole thing.

1 Like

While I liked the story where it happens the opportunity cost is too high. Jon was something new and we gave that up for an updated version of what we’ve already seen

3 Likes

I agree. I really wanted to see Jon change and grow on panel. I’m also annoyed that they decided to dump a character that was a potential draw for a younger generation of readers.

3 Likes

Good points fellas, good points.

slugs back a frosty mug o’ Soder

S’too bad 'bout Nuclear Man. It was nice to see him again after 21 years (when the issue came out in 2018, that is).

1 Like
  1. Is this your first time reading The Unity Saga, as well as the current ongoing Superman title? No I have these in print. I think the last one I have is issue 10 maybe 11.

2. Superman and General Zod or Rogol Zaar and Jax-Ur: Who was your favorite unexpected team-up from this week’s reading? Would have to go with Sup’s and Zod even though it was brief in this part.

I am 50/50 when it comes to Bendis. at times he is really good and then there are times when I wish he would ease up on all the dialog. It’s weird I guess because I love Wolfman and how his writing has a lot of dialog. Always felt like you got your money’s worth with him, but I just feel that Bendis’s writing has a lot of unnecessary dialog in it. When he is good he is good though. I love the talk Sup’s has with Jon is this.
here were some of my favorite part of this story.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Super funny :exploding_head:

good talk :+1:

heck yeah! :superman_hv_3: :nerd_face: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:nerd_face:

4 Likes

Okay, finished at lunch today. The high points for me were the art (boom pow that’s good stuff), Superman’s interaction with his friends and Jon, and most of all Zod! Always dig the big bad trying to go good. And he makes an awesome entry.

3 Likes

The downside is what would have been the touching scenes between Superman and Jon. In the first reading they were great. In hindsight they are sad with the opportunity lost.

3 Likes

I loved Zod’s entrance! :metal:

It was very fitting for him, and Ivan Reis rendered him beautifully.

1 Like

In case anyone is wondering, I posted a link to another Bendis Superman discussion I was participating in (here on DCU), because I felt it provided some additional insight into my thoughts on the series. However, I deleted because I felt it was inappropriate to direct people’s attention away from this discussion. Sorry :slight_smile:

1 Like

No prob @moro. :slightly_smiling_face:

On another note @moro, check this out (eBay picture):

Something new for your Trinity shelves. AFAIK, it’s the first figure of Superman as (mostly) seen in the Superman: Lois and Clark mini from a few years back.

2 Likes

Thanks @Vroom :slightly_smiling_face:. That could go well with the regeneration suit Supes from DC Direct. Who makes it?

1 Like

Spin Master, from their brand new Heroes Unite line. That figure, New 52 Superman, modern Shazam!, Cyborg and The Flash are showing up, and there are Aquaman/Black Manta and New 52 Superman/Darkseid two-packs coming as well.

1 Like