DC Collectible News

Page 29 of the below tome has The Things:

7 Likes

The first figure of the David Zavimbe Batwing is on the way! :partying_face:

I’ve seen him in-package, and its worth noting that he’ll be coming with removable jetpack and booster effect pieces. :+1:t2:

8 Likes

y’know what if McFarlane doesn’t release the 1989 Batman figure as a single release and forces me to buy a Batmobile or a big set to get it, i’m gonna have to get tough

nun-punch

fair warning!

7 Likes

:scream: have mercy!

7 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/McFarlaneFigures/comments/13ut6e1/in_hand_look_of_the_knightfall_batman/

6 Likes

Found a solid source via Mr. @biff_pow for DC Multiverse figure news/updates/talk- the MacF figures thread on Reddit

10 Likes

IMG_5341

10 Likes

He’s cool, especially for collectors who are in the market for a solid Bronze Era B-Man. :+1:

9 Likes

YOrder

#Sideshow

10 Likes

:pensive: :hugs:

10 Likes

You’re still waiting??? That’s criminal!!!

Outside her Super Powers figures, Diana hasn’t got much love from old Todd… It’s not like she’s one of DC’s three most valuable IPs or anything…

8 Likes

I hope it ships soon :cry:

10 Likes

The McFarlane Toys’ Instagram just announced they renewed their license with WB for the DC brand and more. That’s fine by me. I think they’ve done a great job, but more women figures for this next round, Todd!

7 Likes

In nearly three and a half years, I’d say Diana’s had a pretty good representation from McFarlane in the Multiverse line:

• Wonder Woman 1984 (regular look)
  • Wonder Woman 1984 (Golden Armor)
  • Batman: The Last Knight on Earth
  • TLKOE wearing Dr. Fate’s helmet
  • Dark Nights: Death Metal
  • Justice League: Endless Winter
  • McFarlane-designed
  • Dark Nights: Death Metal (gold repaint)
  • McFarlane-designed (Gold Label)
  • Endless Winter (Gold Label)
  • Shazam!: Fury of the Gods

Is there ample room for improvement?

Absolutely, there always is.

If I had planned the assortments, I would have had a comic-based, vanilla Diana alongside the two WW84 figures.

Not just for comics fans, but also for casual, non-collector buyers who would want a comic Diana alongside the movie versions of her.

Has McFarlane eclipsed Spin Master’s WW output?

Yep! Although, that’s not terribly hard, given how Spin Master has only released three Wonder Woman figures in the last 3 and a half years (4-inch regular, 4-inch gold and 12-inch).

Recent repacks of the 4-inch figures aside, Spin Master hasn’t done anything new with Wonder Woman since the end of 2020.

Are we better off now, than where Wonder Woman was at this point in Mattel’s run?

Undoubtedly, as three and a half years in on their run, the only Wonder Woman figures Mattel could make were from Justice League and Justice League Unlimited.

Mattel’s first comic-based Diana didn’t debut until the fall of 2008, well after five and a half years into their tenure with DC and, that was only after WBCP had given the full DC master toy license to Mattel, something they hadn’t had from 2003 through 2007.

Is McFarlane’s Wonder Woman output better than that of the Kenner/Hasbro era?

Oh, yes. Especially once you factor in that while Kenner regained the DC license in 1990, it wasn’t until 2000 (after Hasbro had phased Kenner out, both as a company and brand), when the one Wonder Woman figure from the entire Kenner/Hasbro era was released to Toys R Us, as part of the final series of basic figures in the JLA line, formerly a Kay-Bee exclusive.

Finally, is McFarlane outpacing Toy Biz?

Well yeah, but that’s like shooting fish in a barrel, since Toy Biz made precisely one version of Wonder Woman in their near 2 years with the DC license.

Ultimately, McFarlane absolutely has room for improvement, no question.

When you compare where they’re at at this point in time with their Wonder Woman output to where another contemporary license holder (Spin Master) is, where the last two licensees also were at three years and change in their respective runs and to what Toy Biz released in their relatively short DC tenure, McFarlane is still very much outpacing the pack and by a wide margin.

That said, when we do eventually get a modern, vanilla, comic-based Diana in their Multiverse line, I’m buying at least two (one open, one boxed), so as to do my part in saying “Thank you, Mr. McFarlane. While it took longer than necessary, I’m still going to support Ms. Prince as I’m able to do so.”

SN: I might buy more of a regular, comic-based Diana beyond the initial two, if she should prove to be an impressive enough piece to where I can find different reasons to keep dropping bread on her.

I absolutely agree.

The recent crop of female characters (Injustice 2 Supergirl, Raven, Donna Troy, Knightfall Catwoman and Fury of the Gods Wonder Woman) all seem to be selling quite well, both online (where many of them have had multiple sell-outs at the McFarlane Store) and in physical stores.

If fans keep up with their end of the bargain (buying the product), then McFarlane should keep up their end (making it) and even better, increasing their output of women-based badassery.

sits back and dreams of the Female Furies being introduced in Multiverse, as well as Super Powers

That’d be sweet.

dreams further of an entire WW-centric wave of 7-inch Page Punchers

Keep going.

dreams of Yara Flor, Artemis, Donna Troy, Circe and so many more in the Super Powers line

Hot damn, let’s make this happen, McFarlane Toys! Please, please, please. :slight_smile:

Reddit? IDK…there are a lot of uninformed (to put it mildly) folk over there.

Dare I dip my toes into the Reddit pool?

cautiously looks into the pool from a safe distance

Maybe later, when the diving team has left…and after I’ve had my poolside snow cone.

8 Likes

In-package promo shots of upcoming Multiverse wares:

Knightfall Batman

He looks good and will still be a pick-up, but right now, I kinda-sorta prefer the DC Essentials Knightfall Batman a bit more.

Two-Face as Batman

Hopefully the first of at least a few Batman: Reborn figures (c’mon, Steph as Batgirl!).

Batwing (saved the best for last)

No side-shot of his packaging, but there are money shots of his effect pieces in-use:

I’m all-in for the lot and of the 3, Batwing’s my most-anticipated.

10 Likes

That knightfall Batman is really cool, hopefully they’ll do another version of it with a black cape and cowl.

9 Likes

They could always retool and repaint him for a No Man’s Land Batman, easy-peasy.

9 Likes

Points well made and done thoroughly! I wouldn’t argue that McFarlane has done the worst with Diana, but…

The fact this hasn’t happened yet is insane.

I hope so. The lack of female figures available when I was a kid is something that drives me to buy them today, when released.

Every image I’ve seen makes me think, “great figure.” ALMOST makes me want to buy it despite the fact that I don’t like to encourage the constant release of Batman figures.

8 Likes

A No Man’s Land wave with a classic black and grey Batman and Cassandra Cain as Batgirl would be soooo cool.

8 Likes

The lack of female characters drove me nuts when I was a kid.

Toy exec: “Little boys don’t want figures of female characters.”

Oh, really?

So, when I was little (ages 5-8 specifically), why then did I have multiple figures of Janine from Kenner’s The Real Ghostbusters line?

Figures I excitedly bought when I had the allowance money to do so and politely asked my parents to buy for Christmas and birthdays?

Explain away, toy exec.

Toy exec: “Female characters aren’t appealing to boys.”

BS. Total BS. I wanted figures of Vicki Vale and Chase Meridian when I was a kid.

When 9-year-old-me was flipping through Batman Returns figures at Target one summer day in 1992 and saw Catwoman right behind Robin, did I pass on her and only buy Robin with my allowance money?

Heck no! I wanted Catwoman every bit as much as Robin, if not more so (and not to throw shade Robin’s way, as he’s still the all-time best TDR figure, but at least Catwoman was in the movie), so my mom kicked in a few bucks so I could buy Catwoman along with Robin.

Who wanted a Margo Lane figure in Kenner’s The Shadow line?

This guy! :superman_hv_4:

Who wanted (and got, thanks to “Santa”) the series 2 repaint of Ellie Sattler from Kenner’s Jurassic Park line during Christmas 1994?

This guy! :clark_hv_4:

Who was excited when he got Toy Biz’s Wonder Woman in 1989 (a figure I still have, BTW)?

This guy! :nerd_face:

Other companies weren’t afraid of including women in their lines (looking at Playmates and their Star Trek output), so it would have been nice to have 'em in the DC lines of my childhood and teen years, as I would have supported the pieces that interested me.

Even Funko hasn’t made Pops of Vicki, Selina (outside her Catwoman suit, that is) and Chase, which is a shame.

“What about Julie Madison?”

Eh sure, but we all know Chase rocked the whole “intimate evening at Wayne Manor with Bruce” deal way better than Ms. “Welp, I’ve been in enough of the movie. I’m gone.” Madison did.

Funko has at least made many Pops and other figural representations of female characters that otherwise get the shaft in the action figure landscape, so they’ve got that going for them…which is nice.

Knightfall Catwoman needs someone to wrap her whip around, ya know. :wink:

7 Likes