DC Book Club Vol. II - SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN (2019)

I saw that too. That was my exact thought.:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

First off, I’d just like to say that this was a wonderful book to choose for Book Club, especially during these times. As an Asian-American myself, I grew up reading Gene Luen Yang, starting with American Born Chinese, and later his run on The New Superman. I adored reading this because it so nicely summates what makes Superman appealing to everyone- that he doesn’t belong to any one race or peoples, that we all see a little of ourselves in him, and we see the optimism and promise for a more unified tomorrow.

And more so than that, it took a historicist approach at reorienting the 1940s ‘Clan of the Fiery Cross’ radio special and made it relevant to Asian-Americans today who have always had to deal with the feelings of ‘otherness’. Although unfortunately it demonstrates that hatred for those different from us is very much alive as it was back then, that there are always storytellers and writers who will write stories of truth and justice that we can all hope will become a reality.

Periodical #1

There are many references to characters’ jackets, coats, and capes. What ties the symbolism of all their clothes together? How do characters use their clothing to convey their personal story?

Ah, this is a great question. The first thing I noticed was that Roberta was asked to throw away her Qi Pao, and she just couldn’t bear to part with it. It represents her old life in china town, and is reflected in her unwillingness to assimilate into suburbia as readily as her brother does. Not until she is wearing the jacket that her mom made from Superman’s cape does she feel like she can really start fitting in. Throughout the story, there is a great emphasis placed on the clothes that each character wears, which signifies their personal desires.

• Dr. Lee wearing his lab coat despite the Klan literally burning a cross on his lawn represents his willingness to work hard in order to build a better life for his family, a very familiar tale for 1st generation Asian immigrant children.

• Superman adopting Samson’s strongman style reflected his desire to hide his identity from others, but still appear larger than life, much like how Samson was able to hide his own identity (which Clark saw through straight away).

• Tommy immediately changes his cap to the Unity baseball team’s cap which indicates his desire to assimilate into the culture of Metropolis.

Although these clothes, represent the initial desires of these characters, the lack of clothing represents a closing arc for each. Dr. Lee abandons his labcoat because he disagrees with his lab’s research, and chooses to become unemployed in order to find work that align to his moral values, which is unthinkable for an Asian immigrant, but reflects his closing arc that he is now open minded and trusting of those in Metropolis, of Superman and Henderson, in contrast to how he was when he arrived.

At the end of the story, Lois Lane gifts her a pen and acknowledges that her name is Lan-Shin, Roberta is no longer wearing that jacket, signaling that she is now comfortable in this city, and is ready to create a new life with new friends.

Do you think this story would be received differently if it was set in modern times, rather than in the 1940s?

I think that there are many anachronisms written into this story purposefully so that it feels modern. Being called ‘ching-chong’ and being teased for ‘eating dogs’ is something that still happens today, and I believe Yang wrote this in such a way to show that although we believe that racism has been greatly curbed today, it’s still just as bad as back then.

I do think that if this was set today it would be seen as too preachy, and the message wouldn’t get across as well. Yang purposefully wrote this in the 1940’s to bring attention to the problems that immigrants like mine and his parents faced when they first arrived here, especially given his little sections teaching Chinese-immigration history at the end of each issue. I also believe that it was important for Yang to write this during the beginning of Superman’s career to demonstrate that he has been there for all of us, and that although it may not be canon, Roberta’s experiences with trying to fit in and shedding her nervousness at becoming a new person helped blossom and develop into the Superman we all know today.

Periodical #2

In what ways does Clark Kent’s exploration of his origin reflect each member of the Lee family’s experiences?

“Uncover enough secrets, and you make a home”, is repeated throughout this periodical. Aren’t secrets normally supposed to be kept? How does this message change our understanding of secrets, and the way we understand other cultures?

As Clark slowly accepted his alien origins, he came to understand that in order to be his best self, he needed to understand his whole self. ‘Secrets’ can be interpreted as information that cannot be shared, but in this case, ‘secrets’ seem to indicate parts of our own, or others’ identities that we don’t want to acknowledge. For Clark, he refused to believe that he was an alien, choosing to be oblivious to his birthright as a Kryptonian. But once he embraced his heritage, and learned of his birth name, Kal El, his parents no longer looked like aliens, but rather more like himself. This is a metaphor for how we choose to see other people. As long as we don’t acknowledge the parts of them that are human, and that we relate to, those ‘secrets’ of their identities, they will forever be alien to us. But once we acknowledge and uncover those secrets, they become one of us, and we can find refuge in one another as fellow humans.

*“Why only be half of what you are?” How have you related to this question in your own life?

For a long time I lived oblivious to my own culture. As I grew older, my parents lamented that I did not embrace my Vietnamese heritage, but as an Asian American I did not see any value in learning about a culture that wouldn’t benefit my life here. It wasn’t until I became a little older that I really wanted to connect to aspects of Vietnam, the cuisine, the religion, the little bits and pieces of life that I chose to never think about back then. I still don’t know if I’m Vietnamese enough, but now I at least have the desire to connect to that part of my life that was not there before.

Periodical #3

*Within the world of SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN, what does it mean to be a hero?

Within this world, heroes are those who choose the right thing despite adversity. In that sense, Superman is a hero not because he saves people, but because he chose to out himself as an alien, and prove that even though he was not of this world, that everyone was considered his people. Perry, Lois and Henderson are heroes because they all strive to do the right thing, Lois constantly chooses to find stories about those who would do harm to others disregarding her own well-being, Henderson helps everyone, despite obviously being looked down on, and Perry uses his platform in order to oust the Klan.

*The Klan believes that “you cannot unite a nation that shares neither blood nor history.” What do you think bonds/unites people other than history?
History and blood are just excuses that the Klan uses to create a sense of ‘otherness’ towards those they declare unworthy. We all share this Earth as Humans, and Yang showed that even though differences exist, we can still create meaningful bonds with those unlike ourselves. Although Roberta thought her old friends from China town would like to see her, she learns that they had a negative opinion of her, despite being Chinese. Tommy befriends Chuck through their shared love of Baseball (despite Chuck’s bad first impression), and Roberta and Lois create a bond through a shared name and gutsiness.

I thought this was a great pick for Book Club, and I’m looking forwards to joining new ones in the future!

13 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this comic a lot since reading it, which seems like a credit to the writing in itself. It’s incredibly timely to current events in spite of being set in the past. As many have already said, I loved the nuance of Superman struggling with his “other-ness” right alongside the Lees. I think the message is very relevant both to adults and kids - the people who matter are those who accept you as you are fully. Lois, Jimmy, and even eventually Chuck exemplify this.

When the Klan tried to claim Superman as their own symbol, I couldn’t help thinking of Bombshells United Vol 1, where a corrupt US soldier becomes Clayface and tries to tell Wonder Woman she is un-American for freeing people from the Japanese internment camps. (I hope it’s okay to reference other comics alongside this one - sorry, I’m still new here!)

13 Likes

I haven’t read bombshells but that sounds really cool! I’m off to go check it out!

6 Likes

Periodical #2

• In what ways does Clark Kent’s exploration of his origin reflect each member of the Lee family’s experiences?
    They are all hiding whom they are in order to fit in and afraid that their truselves won’t be accepted.
    “Uncover enough secrets, and you make a home”, is repeated throughout this periodical. Aren’t secrets normally supposed to be kept? How does this message change our understanding of secrets, and the way we understand other cultures?
    Hard to say, but knowing what’s behind the scenes so to speak, can lead to understanding and acceptance, which may make a home. As to cultural understanding, what one culture feels should be a secret can inform you of what they value and fear the most, which can lead to understanding.

“Why only be half of what you are?” How have you related to this question in your own life?
Obviously, to fit in and not bring additional attention to your differences. Also, the fear of alienating others by being better at something, so you can belong and not be ostracized, I think myself and most kids at some point have underperformed or acted out of are normal character in some way to belong with a group at some point.

7 Likes

I’ve been wanting to get this collected edition in print too. Does it have Yang’s essays? And if so, how do they appear? Between each chapter or all together at the end?

7 Likes

They do include the essays and they’re all together at the end.

8 Likes

It doesn’t have the covers though which is a bummer. I think there’s a clip of 2 but I wish they had the full page prints.

6 Likes

I completely agree and was also something I clocked when reading. Even today I’m rewatching some of the stuff I watched when I was a kid and am finding some teeth grinding, uncomfortable moments and was like, really!? That was in there?

Also I found it quite interesting that they included Detective Comics #1 as an example during Yang’s essay at the back of Periodical #2. Quite a big acknowledgement from DC and was really happy to see that from the publisher.

7 Likes

Absolutely this ^^ and it makes me so sad to think about. :worried:

I was just talking about this with my sister! We were talking about shows from the 90s that we loved at the time, but watching those same shows years later, they would never be acceptable now, with good reason.

I’m glad that they included Detective Comics #1, when we can acknowledge problematic ideas/views from the past, it will hopefully help us to not repeat them going forward. :slightly_frowning_face:

7 Likes

Nice profile pic btw! :ttns_gif_krypto:

6 Likes

Thank you very much! You just can’t go wrong with Krypto! :ttns_gif_krypto2:

7 Likes

Fair warning: SPOLIERS BELOW AND I’M NOT GONNA BLUR ANYTHING!

Well, I like references to obscure characters from the past, so I liked the moment that revealed that Kenny Braverman was one of Clark’s childhood bullies in this version of Smallville. In the mainstream DC Universe, Kenny was an old friend of Clark’s from Smallville. Kenny’s resentment of Clark helped turn him into the supervillain Conduit.

From Superman (1986-2006) #0

I also liked the reference to Captain Desmo who was a Golden Age aviator hero from DC Comics.

The best example of this we see is from Roberta. She wore the same red jacket every day for two years, and didn’t want it thrown away even after she puked all over it. Roberta’s mother had sewn it for her, and that jacket seemed to have become Roberta’s security blanket. She states: “Without it, I’m all nerves. A real weirdo.” We see a lot of examples of Roberta struggling to find her place in Metropolis and we later learn she even had a hard time fitting in when she lived in Chinatown. I think this shows Roberta suffered from at least some form of social anxiety. Somehow, wearing her first jacket soothed her anxiety. Maybe by letting her hide behind it like the old jacket was an excuse for why she had trouble making friends.

Then, Roberta got a second jacket made from Superman’s cape. By the point she started wearing this jacket, Roberta had made the decision to give Metropolis a shot. This lead to her being bolder, more outspoken. She started to stand up for herself, started making friends, and even aided in the battle against the Klan of the Fiery Kross. Her new jacket, with the S symbol on the back, helped signal this metamorphosis.

In Superman Smashes the Klan, Superman revealed that his mother sewed his cape much like how Roberta’s mother sewed her jackets. The cape and jackets kind of signal family and heritage in this way. One thing I want to add about the cape, in the Silver Age comics, Superman’s cape was sewn from the blanket he was swaddled in during his rocket journey from Krypton. This story didn’t use that continuity, but it may have been a nice touch to connect that cape back to Kryptonian heritage (but… then Roberta’s jacket couldn’t have been made from it- the Silver Age cape was invulnerable).

Other quick examples: Chuck Riggs with his S t-shirt and red boots to emulate Superman. This just came to me, but Chuck’s father isn’t in the picture and his Uncle Matt is… the worst. Could Chuck’s hero-worship of Superman be a search for a positive male role model? There is Dr. Lee and Inspector Henderson with their lab coat and badge, respectively. These pieces of professional clothing act as symbols of what these men of color were able to achieve in a racist society. These items of clothing may also act to protect them from this society. And, finally, the ridiculous, stupid-looking Klan robes which are meant to hide the hate that Klan members know wouldn’t be acceptable in polite society. In Matt Riggs’ case, his robe is also meant to signify some childish rank that really means nothing.

Yes or, at least, most likely. Though the KKK still exists, they are not as influential as they were back in 1946. If this story was set in modern times, it would likely have needed a more modern group to be the antagonists. That may have made the story a bit controversial. Those on the wrong side of history, like white supremacists, rarely see themselves as the bad guys. In a modern setting, this story may have been labelled as biased or there would’ve been complaints about “bringing politics into comics.” …Honestly, there may have been anyway, but it probably would’ve been louder with a modern setting.

Superman’s story is an immigrant story. What I liked most about how this was conveyed in Superman Smashes the Klan is that Superman is really bothered by the “smell” of Kryptonite. Almost like this “smell” of the pieces of his dead world reminds him of the fact that he isn’t human and that he “doesn’t belong.”

This shame and embarrassment about being different immediately connects with Dr. Lee who seems almost ashamed of his heritage at the start. Dr. Lee’s insistence to buy Roberta a new jacket and throw out the old, sewn one was the first sign of this embarrassment. Then there was how Dr. Lee responded to the Klan burning a cross on his lawn. He was convinced he could show the Klan that his family was not “like that.” Dr. Lee also wanted to have nothing to do with Inspector Henderson and the African Americans who stopped to help put the fire out. Clark also tried to distance himself from his alien heritage by throwing out the Kryptonian recording box and refusing to explore all of his powers. Both Supes and Dr. Lee shows behaviors of hiding the embarrassment over being different through denial.

Tommy Lee deals with being different by turning it into something entertaining. He feeds into the fascination of his heritage at Unity house by telling jokes about wontons and Confucius. This mirrors Superman’s decision to wear the costume of a circus strongman while doing his super-deeds. If you make something light and entertaining then people won’t be threatened and maybe they’ll forget that you’re different.

Roberta ends up being the best role model for Superman, in this regard. As I mentioned earlier, Roberta decides to accept Metropolis as her new home and becomes more bold and outgoing. She doesn’t try hard to fit in like her father and brother do. Roberta just allows herself to be herself in front of others. She helps convince Superman to do the same which was great advice. It lead to flying, laser eyes, and an underwater Fortress of Solitude. Sometimes you just have to accept the ways you are different and let yourself be yourself.

As someone who lived among a different culture for almost five years, I can tell you that this quote is right on the money. When you enter a new culture, everything does seem like an impenetrable secret. The longer you are exposed to the culture, the more secrets you uncover, the more you feel like you are a part of it and the more you feel at home.

Aren’t secrets supposed to be kept? …Honestly, the older I get, the more I wonder if ANY secret should be kept. Secrets, the unknown, make people feel threatened. Ignorance fuels hate. Hatred of other cultures generally stems from some fatal misunderstanding. Maybe if we were able to uncover all secrets, every culture could live in peace?

That sounds unforgivably hokey… I apologize… no more of that!

Sure, of course. I imagine almost everyone can relate to that. I hold myself back for the same reasons Superman or almost anyone does. What if it’s too much? What if people don’t accept me? What will everyone else think?

Honestly… I haven’t really felt like myself in almost 6 years. It’s tough. Don’t be like Moth. Follow Roberta’s advice: Allow yourself to be yourself.

I mentioned earlier that, in the Silver Age, Superman’s cape was sewn by Martha Kent from the blanket he was swaddled in within the rocket. In fact, his whole Superman costume was. It was mighty convenient that fabric was red and blue… but since it was Kryptonian material it was as indestructible as Superman himself. This is, probably, my favorite costume origin.

The costume in 1986’s Man of Steel mini-series that rewrote Superman’s history was also sewn by Martha Kent. That costume was sewn using regular fabric, though, and it came about because Clark needed a disguise to keep himself rom being hounded by people over his special abilities.

In the New 52, Clark wore regular t-shirts with the S symbol along with the indestructible cape that was his blanket in the rocket. That is, until he found Kryptonian armor on the Collector’s ship.

What I liked about the costume’s origin in Superman Smashes the Clan was that the idea for it came about as a way to make people feel less threatened by Clark’s differences/his powers. I also like that the idea came from the circus like the idea for Supes’ costume did to Siegel and Shuster in real life. Very meta.

It means allowing yourself to reach your full potential so you are better positioned to help others.

Emotions. Needs. The fact that we are all stuck together in this journey of life…? No matter how different we are from one another… there’s got to be at least one thing we all have in common… even if it’s just the space dust that makes up the particles of our very being.

Yes. Superman would never really hurt a lion. He’s spent a lot of time as one himself:

8 Likes

Same

4 Likes

Wait, I thought that was Dababy

5 Likes

Very well thought out responses. Thank you for being so thorough! :slightly_smiling_face:

I absolutely love this response, I don’t think it could have been put any better.

5 Likes

Thank you! I got a little carried away and definitely ran out of steam towards the end… But I’m glad I said something of worth in the midst of all that!

4 Likes

Heya dcbc!

Don’t forget- we’ve got our Listen-Along of the 1940’s Superman Radio Show that inspired this month’s reading in just about two hours. Hope to see you there! Link below for easy clickin’:

7 Likes

I am finally sitting down to read my copy of Superman Smashes The Klan. Below are going to be a stream of conscious and might just end up being jumbled word vomit.

Book 1

• Artwork is different from what I am used to but I am digging this decidedly different approach. Gurihiru has a new fan.

• The first time the uncle puts on his Grand Scorpion outfit he says "Love of our nation.’ In this context, seeing the ridiculous klan costume I instantly thought of the film Birth of a Nation. This is the film that revitalized the Klan in the early 1900s. I highly doubt this was meant as a reference to the controversial film but the imagery and those words did turn on that lightbulb over my head.

• After Clark’s exposure to the green crystal, he starts seeing himself in the mirror as an alien. This concept is amazing and it gives a chance to introduce what appear to be men in rubber suit style aliens from 1950s low-budget sci-fi flicks.

• I instantly hear Lane Smith’s voice when I am reading Perry White say things like “Great Caesar’s ghost!” and “Don’t call me Chief!”

Book 2

• Woah! The men in rubber suit aliens are Jor-El and Lara!!! Excellent writing that has a slow burn build up, wanting me to keep flipping them pages.

• I am enjoying Superman’s coming of age story. Sure, it is in the backseat but it has headphones on and you can hear it over the car stereo. Seeing how he is coming to terms with himself, his place in life, and even what he is was written with care. This story has many moving pieces and so far everything is fitting together like a jigsaw puzzle. This also means there is very little breathing room but that isn’t a bad thing.

• I am really enjoying Roberta and her journey of self-discovery. I can relate to moving to a new city or state away from all of your friends and feeling out of place. I think a lot of people has had that experience and was a great way to feed into an experience I never and I hope and pray everyone here has never had, which is the pure hatred of the Klan (or other likeminded groups).

• The artwork continues to impress me. The colors and shading are outstanding. I also have to mention how much I am enjoying the inking on each panel. My biggest enjoyment of the artwork is that it does not overpower itself and feels extremely sincere while. This really serves the story/stories being told in the best possible way.

Book 3

• The Superman origin retelling continues and I dig it a lot. There are enough similarities to previous origin stories while going in different directions. Also, I think Gene Luen Yang is all about the circus as this became a major part of New 52 Superman.

• I liked the twist that the klan was only used as a way to make money. This is something that I have suspected in recent year with different groups.

• Superman revealing himself as an alien was a nice turn that I wasn’t expecting. I mean, people had to expect that a guy that runs on electric lines throughout the city isn’t human, right? Nope!!!

This was a fantastic read. I enjoyed the fact this takes place in the same era as the radio broadcast. The writing was wonderful. There were definite moments that made me cringe but it was supposed to do that.

9 Likes

I love this “stream of conscious” approach you took to sharing your thoughts on this comic! I had the same thoughts regarding the artwork - going from uncertainty to starting to enjoy it to fully believing that the story wouldn’t have had the same impact if the artwork wasn’t the way it was.

I was also a fan of the slow burn take on Superman’s origin story; I thought it was really well-done and kept me engrossed in the pages. You’re absolutely right about people doing mental gymnastics to convince themselves that Superman is human and sometimes it’s easier to explain something away than try to examine it closer. The detail about him running on electric lines was also a nice touch - if you’ve seen The Boys, you might know why this is a good idea. :sweat_smile:

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the discussion questions when you have a chance! If not, at the very least, do you think the lion is okay? (Obviously, this is the most important one on the list). :lion:

8 Likes