DC Book Club Vol. II - SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN (2019)

Let me just start by saying these issues were great! I haven’t read a lot of comics, mostly Grant Morrison’s stuff like Final Crisis and Batman RIP, but this series carried a whole different ambience. The art was different, the message was different, the whole scale of it brought a different kind of flow. Don’t get me wrong, I still love Morrison’s stuff (and he’s probably my favorite writer!) but this comic was something… different.

Periodical #1:
The clothing was an interesting part of this series. Kudos the the artist! He effectively showed the relation of clothing to character attitude and development. One of the most notable instances of this was with Lois Lane: The kinds of dresses she wore, the slight tilt in her hat, her stance and body language all conveyed a feeling of confidence and fearlessness, and a effect that the writer and artist were both aiming for. Hmm… The question about the 1940’s brings up some political thinking… something I’m not going to get into. I think some of the story’s flow regarding people who are Asian had a lot to do I think with the way the United States viewed the race in the 40’s was not good, mostly due to the bombing of Pearl Harbor and conflict with the Japanese during WWII. An interesting line to me in correlation with this when other members of the unity home which country Roberta is from. I think that brings in some historical significance regarding the times and general opinions.

Periodical #2:
“Why only be half of what you are?” An interesting phrase to say the least. I think the essence of this idea really brings into play our own understanding of ourselves. Innately, we adapt to our surroundings. For thousands of years humans have done this, and it happens today. I think it’s really important to consider the part where Clark’s parents talk about how he withholds himself subconsciously, and has to actively try to be himself.

Periodical #3:
These issues really describe a hero as someone who actively tries to achieve themselves, to be themselves in the best ways they can be. It is also someone who defends the individuality and choices of others. The Klan’s claim that the impossibility of uniting people across different races and histories is part of American ideals is one of the most false drives of their philosophy. Whether or not you believe it is practiced in the past, it is an important part of American ideals now to be unified regardless of race, history or blood. It’s an important message that all of us should work together, whether you’re Jimmy Olsen or Roberta, it’s important to work together to save the day. And I sure as heck hope the lion’s okay.

9 Likes

I relate to this on so many levels. As someone also in the LGBTQ+ community, for so many years I was afraid to be myself, afraid of being looked at differently, or treated differently. I was especially afraid of how my family would react. Not being accepted by your own family just for being your genuine self, well of course that would scare most.

Superman

This panel really hit close to home. My conversation was very similar, except it was my mother who initiated it. She just came up to me one day and basically said the same thing Superman did. “I want you to know that it’s ok to be you, no matter what, we’re your family and we love you”. I feel like that helped give me the strength to be more open. Which brings me to the next panel that gave me the feels.

Superman2

Like Superman, even though we may be different, I may have a different lifestyle, or have different views and beliefs, I’m still the same person you’ve always known. We all have our own thoughts, feelings, passions, etc. But when we can accept each other in spite of our differences, we can’t lose.

This is why I love stories like this! Bringing these issues into the mainstream, having active discussions, and open communication can only benefit everyone, In this community, as well as in everyday life.

11 Likes

My dad, his 3 sisters and 2 brothers, were all first generation Americans.

His father, my grandfather, fled Sicily in 1922, defected from the Italian Navy, and became an illegal immigrant in NYC until he naturalized in 1943. He raised his kids to be American and was very proud to be in the land of opportunity. He only spoke broken English his whole life after teaching himself to read and write but his kids could only understand the basics of Italian.

The point of all this is my dad, although being 100% Italian, was culturally American. It was important to my grandparents that their kids assimilate more than they could to make life easier for them but for my generation, I feel like we lost a lot. Even though we are all proud to be of Italian heritage, we didn’t eat traditional foods or celebrate traditional holidays. I know one song and a handful of Italian phrases and those are filtered through my mom since my dad passed when I was young.

My point is, I feel like half of my heritage was lost and its sad. In this story in particular, I am so envious of Superman for being able to connect to his Kryptonian heritage. What a priceless gift to be able to connect with a part of you that would otherwise be lost to time. Recently I was given my grandfather’s hand written autobiography and I’ve been working at transcribing it for my brother and sister. It’s also been a struggle to read some of the less pleasant things about him. At first I didn’t know how to feel about it but in the end I admire his honesty and it’s a little like reading someone’s diary. It’s also a reminder that history shouldn’t be romanticized and if it’s not messy and ugly at times then it’s not honest. It has been incredible to read his thoughts in his broken English through his pen strokes and get to know him and his life struggles. I never got to meet the man, but I’m so fortunate he left this behind.

I think this is why so many things in SStK resonated with me. I wonder what my dad or his father would have thought of the story. I bet it would have resonated with them even more. :heart:

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing about your grandfather. I think it’s really great that you have that autobiography he wrote. My grandmother grew up in Germany during World War II and moved here after the war. It’s nice for me to know about where my family (on both sides) came from. It kind of helps make the world smaller and connect you to places you’ve never been, which is neat. For me, at least. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Been a while since I’ve read this one since I’ve purchased the trade. I was a bit leery of it because it seemed like a kid’s book versus being truly All Ages just looking at Gurihiru artwork.

Being an Asian American myself, I didn’t expect this to hit so hard or ring true. Tommy’s eagerness to crack jokes about his “otherness” before any of his white friends could was definitely a common defense mechanism. Also note the Lees distrust of the Black officers that came to their aid which brought light to the anti-blackness within the Asian culture. This book definitely surprised me by how nuanced it was.

11 Likes

The artwork was also deceptive to me at first glance, but I think it ultimately elevates the issues as a whole due to its contrast with the heavy topics it brings to light - it makes it accessible to more audiences than it would’ve otherwise.

You bring up a good point in regards to the scene with Inspector Henderson and his friends coming to help the Lees with the burning cross. It’s easy to intrepret Dr. Lee’s words simply as general distrust of anyone coming near the house or his family in that moment despite the fact he still asked them to leave after he saw they put out the fire. I was glad to see Roberta try to be a voice of reason even if she ultimately wasn’t the reason her father backed down.

The page itself has some nice elements to it as well - the smoke acting as a “line” separating Dr. Lee from two of the men helping him, Roberta on the left side of Dr. Lee like an “angel on the shoulder”, and the burning cross looming in the background as Inspector Henderson announces his intention to stay. Honestly, I could talk about the artwork choices all day.

9 Likes

This is my first time reading Superman Smashes the Klan as I missed it’s first publication run and I am very happy to now be immersed in it. I see a lot of members already commenting on the same aspects and moments, so my apologies for any repetitions. However here are my thoughts on Periodical #1!

As always, we want to see your favorite art and moments! There were plenty of times our eyes welled up…We would love to see your screenshots, or even just a description, of your “Best Of” panels in the comments below!

Superman Smashes the Klan is an incredible display of how powerful sequential art can be. Even after the first periodical you can tell that this is one well designed book. I really enjoyed the use of red word balloons with red letters to convey when they are speaking Cantonese.

One of my two favorite art moments involves a quiet scene, when Roberta’s mother tries to help her daughter get used to her new surroundings by saying “If you learn enough secrets about a place, it becomes home.” It’s not only a great line from Gene Luen Yang but well displayed by Gurihiru.

My second favorite moment is really a thought provoking reveal. It’s already been pointed out many times from the other responses I see, but I still need to mention it here. It’s of course when we see Chuck wearing his Superman shirt for the first time, AFTER the cross burning incident and before Uncle Matt decides to kidnap Tommy.

It’s easy to use Superman as a storytelling tool to display the polarities of good or bad or black and white. Especially in many of the early stories he’s been used as an oversimplification. But here, with Chuck wearing that shirt, it shows you that this book is going to wade in complex, murky waters. It’s telling you that even if we have drastically different viewpoints we may still admire the same things.

I really find Chuck to be the most interesting character so far and I am really looking forward to seeing his complete story-arc. I do wonder if it’ll end up good or bad but seeing him wear that shirt reminded me that he’s still just a kid. He’s going to have some really confronting choices to make and you can already see from the first periodical that he’s already struggling and conflicted. I do hope he makes the right ones.

I really really enjoy Gurihiru’s sequential art and character designs. It makes the more shocking and adult themed moments resonate a lot more I think. I’m not sure what I was expecting just from the covers I’ve seen, but it’s been a very rewarding experience so far.

There are many references to characters’ jackets, coats, and capes. What ties the symbolism of all their clothes together? How do characters use their clothing to convey their personal story?

I think it’s not so much as using clothing to convey their personal stories but rather to demonstrate the importance and the power of being in clubs. Whether it’s belonging to something good like a baseball team or something bad like the Klu Klux Clan, we tend to be attracted by groups. The main difference between a club and a family is that, in most cases, a club is something that you choose, or are expected to choose based on your current environment. However, a very powerful moment was when the mother and father are outside talking to Detective Henderson, with Clark Kent sitting next to Roberta…and Roberta narrates “I can’t believe Dad took the time to put on his lab coat.” I think that lab coat was meant to convey not only to Henderson and to anyone perhaps passing by at that moment, but also to himself that he still has his dignity intact and that he has worth.

Even if you decide to move somewhere else you still carry with you your own unique identity.

Do you think this story would be received differently if it was set in modern times, rather than in the 1940s?

Probably. This is commercial art after all so I do understand how the publisher might not want to have it set in our current time for the fear of the story being criticized of being too preachy or politically correct, especially in this time when everything seems polarized. And thus potentially hurting sales and not getting the message to where it needs to go.

I always felt that putting these issues in the past has the danger of emphasizing the naivety that racism is a thing of the past. Or only the highly uneducated are racist. Which of course isn’t true.

However, I do think having it being set in the 1940’s does have some advantages. Being from the Midwest, I was not aware of the Klu Klux Klan being so active in California, especially terrorizing Asian Americans. I always thought the KKK was a problem of the south and didn’t really gain longevity anywhere else. Also, I really enjoyed Yang’s commentary at the end of the book where he dives into a bit of history to give this story some context. I believe SSTK was published under DC’s Young Adult line of books, and was weirdly surprised that I learned quite a lot from this.

Also, as a Superman fan I must admit it’s a lot of fun getting a Superman from the 1940’s, when he was leaping instead of flying and running on telephone lines to get from one place to another. It’s a Superman that I’m not used to seeing very much. Furthermore, through this different power set, it’s not only a cool nod to that part of Superman’s history as a character, but also it allows Yang to make the characters around Superman to have more of a sense of vulnerability. In this world Superman just can’t get to someone instantaneously anymore in order to help them. Now it takes time. And that brings a sense of danger to the story, especially when things are getting dicey for our characters.

And that’s it for Periodical #1! Hopefully this wasn’t too long and I’m really enjoying this and can’t wait to read the next two. I knew this would be a great and emotional read. But so far it’s exceeding even those expectations!

9 Likes

Totally agree here, it was a different version than what I’m used to as well, and I really enjoyed it!

6 Likes

What I love about this comic series is that it’s not about Superman punching evil billionaires or even about Superman himself. It’s about learning how to adjust to new surroundings, you see this with Roberta losing her jacket and Superman learning his true heritage.

My favorite thing about this comic though, is how accessible to everyone. All ages and all types of people can read and relate to this book.

7 Likes

Hey :slight_smile: welcome back to the community, friend!

You’re so right about this - from the beginning when Roberta was super reserved and couldn’t connect with any of the people around her to the very end when she learns to open herself up and adjust to the situations and types of people around her, this notion of adjusting or fitting in is always present.

Where do you think Roberta’s initial inability to adjust to her surroundings might have come from?

4 Likes

Maybe her mom. Her mom continues to speak Cantonese even though it’s clear her father really wants everyone to assimilate and speak English. Maybe Roberta holds onto the past because it is familiar. Definitely an interesting question.

6 Likes

Ah, very good answer. Moving to a new place is stressful, so holding onto what you know is like a coping mechanism. When the Lees are driving into Metropolis in Issue #1, she expresses her fear of moving away from the only thing she’s ever known until this point.

She also has trouble simply introducing herself to others in the beginning… words come out involuntarily and they don’t make sense haha - like word vomit. It must be that her fear is so great it overwhelms her. So she hides under her cloak of familiarity for as long as she can until the Klan members start interfering with her life in a major way. She is then forced out of her shell in order to save someone precious to her - truly the journey of a hero, if I do say so myself.

Fighting your inner demons is never easy, but Roberta is like a light shining in the darkness… showing us that we can do it too if we just believe and hold onto the strength of positivity and all that is good in the world. Hopefully we won’t need to encounter the troubles she went through for our enlightenment, though!

7 Likes

I really enjoyed this story. I related a lot to Roberta’s difficulties in making new friends. I am an introvert and really bad at small talk. In large group settings, I tend to pull into myself and be very quiet. I am better as a man in his 50s but I was really shy back in school, especially pre 8th grade. I am a white man, so I didn’t experience the racism that Roberta and her family did. I think it is important to see people as individuals while trying to understand cultural differences.

7 Likes

I too am quite the introvert, so I relate to both you and Roberta here. Small groups are easier, but large group settings can be super scary.

Definitely! Thanks for sharing your thoughts @scoop001

5 Likes

Now I know what the artstyle reminds me of! :grinning: From a old cartoon anime that I grew up watching when I was little, ‘Superbook.’ Here’s couple of pictures from it’s first season…
mqdefault

I’ve always like those artstyle.:slightly_smiling_face:
:superman:

7 Likes

Anybody else feel a little weird that Roberta’s quirk was vomiting all the time? lmao

“Ugh, what’s that smell?” Sorry… bahaha

5 Likes

Periodical #1

• As always, we want to see your favorite art and moments! There were plenty of times our eyes welled up…We would love to see your screenshots, or even just a description, of your “Best Of” panels in the comments below!

This was a very sweet scene. The kindness of Clark and Lois checking on Roberta.

This as well some fun Smallville community moments

The entire cape sequence was great. Another showing of Supe’s heart

Lana and Clark’s friendship is great and this was a nice intro to it. Always an overlooked friendship in the Supes world.

Then making fun of the Klan was hilarious. And the Supes entrance was nice.

This was great to Roberta kind of telling Supes what she and her family was trying to do.

This was great too. A nice message of we can be the story teller to bring change.

The similarities in these were great

And this entrance was amazing. Definitely dramatic movie feel

• There are many references to characters’ jackets, coats, and capes. What ties the symbolism of all their clothes together? How do characters use their clothing to convey their personal story?

In a sense the close we chose to were represents you. Weather through more personal reasons like find memories and feelings for i confidence such as Roberta’s jacket. Or to stand out and distract or draw attention like Supes or Show a group and organization or belief like the the klan. They choose these thing to represent them but those symbols can be misinterpreted like the klan believe Supes show white superiority.

Or clothes could be simpler because you like which one a way still represents you.

• Do you think this story would be received differently if it was set in modern times, rather than in the 1940s?

Yes, I may have been seen in more of a fearful light. As in a modern setting it may have thrown people away fro the message as many don’t like to think about the bad and wrong in the world and rather focus on the good. I think with it being set in the past you can look at the message and issue and see how we grown and how things changed and improved for then while also thinking what still needs to improve and be better. Kind of like getting good and bad news at the same time rather than straight bad news.

Periodical #2

• In what ways does Clark Kent’s exploration of his origin reflect each member of the Lee family’s experiences?

Supes like the Lee’s were hiding who they were to fit in and scared of what may happen to them and there family if they don’t. Supes trying to look like an extraordinary human rather than his true Kryptonians self to appear people and fit in while the Lee’s doing the same with the Father telling the mother to speak English Tommy joking about his race before the other kids could and Roberta hiding her name. The hid parts of themselves to blend in through fear of persecution but once they started to be more true to there selves like Supes using his powers the Dad quoting the Job Robert being called Lan-Shin. That idea of of learning to be true to yourself was something they shared.

• “Uncover enough secrets, and you make a home”, is repeated throughout this periodical. Aren’t secrets normally supposed to be kept? How does this message change our understanding of secrets, and the way we understand other cultures?

I think secrets in this context aren’t the normal secrets we think of. I think by secrets it means get to know. Since technically everything you don’t know is a secret in a way. So this scene which was very awesome™:+1: is saying get to know the people the places and this scary unknown place becomes a home of family, friends, and memories.

• “Why only be half of what you are?” How have you related to this question in your own life?

That was a great scene with Supes and his krypt parents. All those chats they had were great showing him discovering them. To me personally I’m not sure. I guess as twin there are people that see as half of him and vise versa. As in my pre college years many people talked to me and brother as one instead of two with the usual twin stuff. Didn’t really bother me much as I am terribly social so it was always a nice icebreaker and they were never offensive about just curiosity and My brother and I had fun with it, but I guess that’s when I feel like half of who I am.

Periodical #3

• What are some other comics that have depicted the origin story of Superman’s costume? How are they different, and how are they the same?

I don’t know many Supes costume origins but this was great. I like the strong man scene a lot and how Lana thought they were different form small details like the wig and smile them giving the whimsy and wonder. To then the usual of Ma Kent making it as gift accepting him to do this. Very nice. As to other all I remember now is Man of Tomorrow’s were it was the sam but Bats inspired him.

• Within the world of SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN, what does it mean to be a hero?

Difficult question but I think it’s being true to yourself to help and protect others. To inspire for positive change that will better everyone and be will to hope for people to change for the better instead of assuming they’re forever bad (in this case Chuck).

• The Klan believes that “you cannot unite a nation that shares neither blood nor history.” What do you think bonds/unites people other than history?

I think compassion and kindness it way that bonds one another. Care for there well being. Also a common goal is some that unites people.

• Do you think the lion’s okay?

Yes. Supes would never hurt an animal.

Bonus Discussion! “ Superman & Me ” Back Pages by Gene Luen Yang

• In both the comic and in these back pages, there are themes that the beliefs the Klan hold are not based on hate. Even Denny, the fellow student who liked Gene’s G.I. Joe story, was kind to him, until certain circumstances occurred. How do we reconcile opposing beliefs within ourselves or in others when confronted with them?

I think it just best to communicate. Talking it out discussing it. Talk to a friend, family, therapist, or the person in question. It may take more than one conversation but talking through it calmly can help you think and maybe make sense if it all.

• Like " Clan of the Fiery Cross" , the 1940’s radio show SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN was based on, the writing aimed to avoid being too preachy for adults, but also not too scary for kids. Do you think the story succeeded in this goal?

Definitely. The amazing art style definitely has a kid friendly tone and the story doesn’t dumb itself down to keep it not scary. One thing with many kids things they think that kids are stupid which they aren’t. There was way to talk about issues like this to them in mature, intellectual, kid friendly way with out dumbing it down an this does a great job at that. It has that superhero aw and amazement but also the serious message and weight of the story in it. And even could lead to nice parent kid discussions of the subject.

• What are some specific actions we everyday citizens can take to unite for a better tomorrow?

Just simply being kind to others and showing through example. Showing the we are all just amazing people no matter what we look like, the love we feel, the religion we believe, etc. in the end we are all people. And treating each other with that kindness we would treat people is something simple to do for a better tomorrow.

Overall with the book it was amazing. The story was really great ther characters were awesome™:+1:. The art was fantastic. Definitely a great Superman story and story in general.

6 Likes

I love how they split the panels here with Superman and Roberta together on the right. It’s a cool way of representing how their viewpoints are aligned together but Chuck is off to the other side right now.

Me at 3 am:

This was a cool call back and example of how racism can be baked into culture and you don’t even realize it. It’s obvious to us today but what things are we doing today that we will realize in the future are totally backwards.

So Roberta’s jacket represents safety, courage, and strength for her. When this happens she’s finally feeling like she belongs and everything is going to be ok. I found it fascinating that the sleeve is ripped off and when she didn’t have her jacket she felt “like a weirdo” exposed and vulnerable. It’s also interesting that this is the first time our antagonist is seen exposed, without his hood.

This made me tear up and I love that in the end Lan-Shin embraces her true name and she’s another L.L. in Superman’s life! And I’m pretty positive her mom turned her ruined jacket into a bag since it was yellow before PLUS she doesn’t need a jacket anymore!
Also Lois is such a badass in this!

9 Likes

Oh and I forgot the most important pic of all!!! It’s the flying Grayson’s! :sob: :broken_heart:

9 Likes

Best panels - I loved each time Superman/Clark shared his cape/jacket to comfort a child. To me, those acts of comfort and support are just as heroic as punching out some Nazi machine. Superman as an unstoppable friend who wants to see you doing okay is an inherently compelling angle that never gets old, and we could all probably embody that strength for someone else.

“Uncover enough secrets, and you make a home”, is repeated throughout this periodical. Aren’t secrets normally supposed to be kept? How does this message change our understanding of secrets, and the way we understand other cultures? - A large obstacle to understanding between people and cultures is hiding one’s embarrassment, shame, and/or pain. I think those are a form of secret that, once shared and understood, allows community to take root and grow. So long as people are separated, ostracized, and alienated, there will be unnecessary secrets. Of course, people hiding or excusing bigotry is another kind of secret that must also be brought to light.

Within the world of SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN, what does it mean to be a hero? - Standing up for someone else, even when they may be in the wrong. Keeping an open mind to others’ perspectives while still holding to bedrock principles. Not giving up on yourself or accepting someone’s stereotype or poor opinion of you.

The writing aimed to avoid being too preachy for adults, but also not too scary for kids. Do you think the story succeeded in this goal? - Among children and adults I know who have read this story, it has been deemed a massive success in being nuanced, relatable, moral, and exciting in equal measures. Gurihiru’s artwork deserves plenty of praise for those impressions, too.

What are some specific actions we everyday citizens can take to unite for a better tomorrow? Do not be a passive observer of bullying or bigotry. Notice the family’s father having to endure passive-aggressive comments about how minorities get a free pass. One of the things I love about this book is how it addresses multiple levels of discrimination, from outlandishly villainous Nazi/Klan caricatures to daily microaggressions and their gradual absorption into self-doubt and low self-esteem.

12 Likes