DC Book Club Vol. II - SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN (2019)

Just finished reading Superman Smashes the Klan, and all I can say is that that was a fantastic read! It was compelling, thought-provoking, and a multi-layered story, all while bringing a message of anti-hate of all forms, to the forefront. The story was phenomenal and the art exquisite. A very great find indeed. I very much will look to pick this up in physical form to add to my collection.

9 Likes

Tell me about it! I think the best part of a story like this being published is that it starts to get the discussion going concerning the topics covered. Indeed Gene Luen Yang created a masterfully beautiful story that really puts you in the Lee family’s shoes. How is Roberta dealing with the issues she faces? How are these issues different from issues other people face? And what is it that we as a people need to do to ensure that people like Roberta are not singled out but are made to feel welcome? Jimmy Olsen in this series is a great example of an answer to this last question - he welcomes Tommy the instant he sees him. Tommy had a great arm, and that’s all that mattered in that context, not where his family is originally from. We definitely need more Jimmy Olsens in the world today, don’t you think? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Of course the lion is okay!!! Superman wouldn’t knowingly hurt a lion. At least, not my Superman.

Living for the next day. This was mentioned in the comic and I do believe that is a big thing. Sadly, this is also what causes many problems in the world. One group thinks their way of life is the right way and wants tomorrow to reflect that thought while another group has another way of life and wants that way to reflect tomorrow. I do believe that humanity is mainly good, or tries to be.

In a historic context, this did achieve the goal as the Klan’s numbers dwindled after the broadcast. However, there are still soreheads out there that want to feel better than someone else. With the microphone turned up to 11 thanks to the internet and other sources we have seen the rise of these groups once again. I won’t go into why I think this is happening but it certainly is and I think it wouldn’t hurt to put this kind of story in a top-rated television show.

4 Likes

Yes! Did you have a favorite panel, art wise?

4 Likes

A few thoughts on Periodical 1:

1. I think the art is fantastic. I love the initial spread of Superman punching the Atom Man. The splash page of Superman standing between Roberta and Chuck is great. I also really like the close up shots on characters’ eyes. Roberta at least gets a couple of those in this chapter.

2. I think there’s great contrast between Superman and the Klansmen. Superman wears his uniform to make others feel safe and (traditionally at least) to protect those close to him. The Klansmen wear robes to intimidate and scare others and in my opinion to protect themselves. Superman and Roberta also share a connection. Roberta’s jacket reminds her of her mother and her home, while Superman’s uniform ties him to his Kryptonian home.

3. I think setting this story in the past has a way of lowering the audience’s defenses and making readers more willing to listen. I think there’s a bit of a risk of readers then not connecting this story to modern events, but overall I think this is a good strategy.

6 Likes

I can see this. By wearing the uniform and mask, the Klansmen can be more open with their hatred. Maybe not as afraid of repercussions with their identities being hidden.

6 Likes

Here’s some thoughts on Periodical #2:

1. I noticed a few parallels between Clark and the Lees. When Clark learns he’s an alien, he feel extremely out of place, much like Roberta does in Metropolis. Clark gets called names, like Tommy and Roberta do, and has law enforcement stand up for him, like the Lee family. Clark trying to silence his parents Kryptonese message reminded me of Dr. Lee’s insistence that the family stop speaking Cantonese. Clark is mocked and talked down to like Mrs. Lee. Clark, like Dr. Lee and Tommy, tries to fit in by talking and dressing like the others around him.

2. I think that uncovering secrets to make a place feel like home encourages us to be curious about other cultures. I think this message is good for both those who feel like newcomers and those who already feel at home. Those who feel like newcomers are encouraged to be active in trying to make themselves begin to feel more at home. But that process goes so much easier when someone who already feels at home is welcoming and wants to learn about the new neighbors. Jimmy Olsen does a great job of helping the Lees uncover some secrets about their new home.

3. Thanks to everyone who’s shared about experiences where you felt like you were or could be only half of what you are. I’m inspired by your courage. At times I try to hide what I think or what I care about because I want to fit in better, but I’m sure others experience more pressure than I do.

A few panels I loved this time around:

• Roberta tearing up while waiting for Tommy to breathe after Superman pulls him out of the river
  • the sheriff winking at young Clark
  • Superman’s cape blowing behind a blushing Roberta (right after he ties the cape around her neck)
  • Lana smiling as she hands Clark’s hat back to him
  • Superman holding up the two Klansmen
  • Superman tossing one Klansman into the tree
3 Likes
  • As always, we want to see your favorite art and moments! There were plenty of times our eyes welled up…We would love to see your screenshots, or even just a description, of your “Best Of” panels in the comments below!

That’s so hard, there are so many good ones! So many good Superman shots – from him initially running on telephone cables to floating in the air with glowing red eyes. I also enjoyed moments of Roberta’s – or Lan-Shin’s – journey, especially when she shows off her Superman jacket.

• There are many references to characters’ jackets, coats, and capes. What ties the symbolism of all their clothes together? How do characters use their clothing to convey their personal story?

Hah, speaking of! I think clothes like that are used to be an outward expression of who they are, more importantly something bigger than what they are afraid of what they are. Superman uses the strongman costume to not appear frightening to people, and Roberta does the same with the jacket made from his cape.

But the Fiery Cross also uses their elaborate costumes to hide their true natures. Their example is far less glamorous, of course.

• Do you think this story would be received differently if it was set in modern times, rather than in the 1940s?

I think you could do a good story about this kind of thing in modern times, but it would probably be less universally praised.

I think honestly part of why it feels more universal (or at least more marketable) is the time frame of it and how it’s a bygone era that few of us really lived through. It’s removed enough from time that people can read into them as simple cannon fodder baddies with a bad message, but they’re related enough that people can see parallels to what goes on today and it feels more relevant.

And there’s also the meta narrative of Superman slowly becoming just a strongman into the more fully-powered hero we know of today. While there’s been some attempts at bringing in Golden Age Superman in the modern day, such as Grant Morrison’s run on Action Comics, I think the way it’s done here works for that meta narrative of how Superman is the ultimate immigrant hero.

• In what ways does Clark Kent’s exploration of his origin reflect each member of the Lee family’s experiences?

While we don’t really get to see a lot of Chinatown in the story, Roberta and Tommy certainly feel like Strange Visitors from Another World. I think in Tommy we see Clark/Superman’s outward approach of trying to blend in through bravado, and Roberta is Clark in his quieter moments, when he lets his guard down.

• “Uncover enough secrets, and you make a home”, is repeated throughout this periodical. Aren’t secrets normally supposed to be kept? How does this message change our understanding of secrets, and the way we understand other cultures?

“Secrets” is kind of a bigger, more mysterious name for acquaintance. When you’ve just moved from a place with a completely different culture or speed, a lot of things feel hidden from you, but the more you discover, the less scary it becomes. I can relate to that just from moving cross country a few years back – while I don’t think it will ever fully feel like “home” to me, time and being out there makes it less intimidating.

• “Why only be half of what you are?” How have you related to this question in your own life?

I think a lot of people can relate to that, that feeling that you have to hide your true self to fit in. I know I have and I honestly still struggle with it sometimes.

• What are some other comics that have depicted the origin story of Superman’s costume? How are they different, and how are they the same?

They’ve differed in terms of how Clark comes to them – from his parents making it, either just as a costume or by using symbols of his homeworld, or acquiring the suit or armor from a Kryptonian source. Either way, it’s all Clark embracing his Kryptonian roots and using them to help his adopted homeworld.

• Within the world of SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN, what does it mean to be a hero?

To embrace the community you’re in, not to give in to easy, corrupting messages of hate, and stand up for what you belive in.

• The Klan believes that “you cannot unite a nation that shares neither blood nor history.” What do you think bonds/unites people other than history?

Humanity. End of the day, we’re all just doing what we can to protect our families and live our lives with as little hassle and interference we can. Our history stretches far more boundaries than that of nations or bloodlines.

It’s funny, I’m reminded of Luthor realizing this when he has Superman’s powers in All-Star Superman (another top best Superman story of all time):

• Do you think the lion’s okay?

Of course, Clark would never hurt a lion – and not just because he was one once!

6 Likes

Very true, I really enjoyed all of the artwork in these stories.

Love this! Lol

2 Likes

This comic was awesome! Loved the art style, I think if it was modern it would either be better, or worse. It could shine a light that there are still kkk meetings today, or it could be un relatable, because meetings are rare today. As for

You cannot unite a nation that shares neither blood or history

America is kinda based off people from all nation joining together.

And, yes. I think, or at least hope, that the lion is ok :relaxed:

3 Likes

Definitely – Gurihiru have actually done a lot of great accessible comics like this, from continuations of the Avatar series, to other great all-ages superhero stories. I think my favorite of theirs that they contributed artwork to is The Unbelievable Gwenpool, a character that sounds like a dumb, marketing ploy who quickly became one of Marvel’s newest lovable characters, and one who can be deliciously meta about the nature of comic book storytelling in a way that still feels real and accessible. I know it’s probably not super kosher to recommend Marvel reads here, but I got to!

3 Likes

Here’s some thoughts on Periodical #3:

1. In Man of Steel Ma Kent also sewed the costume, though there Pa and Clark designed the S-shield. In Birthright Ma Kent again sewed the costume, though there it was made from a Kryptonian banner. In Secret Origin Ma Kent sewed the costume once again, though there it was made from Kryptonian blankets. In Earth One Ma Kent sews the costume yet again from Kryptonian blankets, though there it seems like she might be the one to design the S-shield (maybe with Pa’s help). In the New 52 Action Comics Superman’s official costume was Kryptonian armor he found on the ship of the Collector of Worlds, so that’s the oddball among the versions I remember. Generally Superman’s costume has connections to both Krypton and the Kents, as it did here.

2. In this story I would say being a hero means trying to help others when you can (or even might be able), taking care of your own (no matter how different they may be), and fighting for what’s right.

3. I think having shared values and dreams can unite people. I’ve seen a couple wonderful examples of religion uniting people. Sadly, however, in practice we seem to much more often use our beliefs and values to exclude others.

4. I’m sure the lion’s okay, though I’d imagine he had a sore jaw for a while.

Finally a few panels I loved in this chapter:

• The splash of young Clark holding back the lion
  • The spread of Superman busting through the wall of the Klan hideout (especially the fear shown by the Klansmen)
  • Ma and Pa hugging Superman (and then Jor-El and Lara hugging Superman a few pages later)
  • Joan and Alexandra smiling and winking at Roberta (great nod to Joan Alexander, who voiced Lois Lane on the radio show)
  • Lois smiling when she learns Superman can fly
  • Superman narrowly missing the ground as he flies off with Riggs after recovering from being stabbed
  • Lois smiling as Superman flies away with her
  • The final splash with Superman soaring over Lan-Shin, Lois, and Jimmy
3 Likes

Love Easter eggs like this!

2 Likes

Yes! I love the framing of the shot - very powerful.

6 Likes

Well hello there DC Book Club Tally-Ho :wave: :sunglasses:

What an excellent read it was going through each periodical. :smiley:

Seems like I might also have the same answers as a lot have already, and some of the panels I picked out are also the same. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

So… Here are some others that I also picked out. :clark_hv_4:

Superman Smashes The Klan Panels 1

Good 'ol Lois and Jimmy is right Superman. :superman_hv_4:

Also what a hit Superman! :open_mouth:

Very much like the scene of Metropolis. :cityscape:

Don’t worry Chief Perry, Clark knows what he’s doing. :joy:

Nice bonding moment between Roberta and Tommy. :grin:

Jimmy is also a Pal in going along with how Roberta was reacting. :0_jimmy_olsen:

This panel stuck out to me in that Chuck realizes the situation he is in is not right, and how later on even though he hopes the best for his family, he also recognizes that he definitely can not be apart of it because what they are doing is evil.

From our question… This panel did stick out to me because it’s true that some secrets should be kept until the individual is comfortable in sharing them. However, from reading it in this context, the way I thought about it was that in uncovering these secrets the process allows for learning more about the world that surrounds you. Since there are vast differences from culture to culture, uncovering these “secrets” allows for a better understanding between cultures as well as a better respect for each other.

Superman Smashes The Klan Panels 2

Ah, thank you Lois for being you. :woman:

Great Caesar’s Ghost is right Perry! It also would not be a Perry and Jimmy interaction if Jimmy doesn’t call Perry Chief. :joy:

A super leap! Hold on Roberta the trip will be over soon. :flushed:

Thank you Inspector for the help, and whoosh away Superman. :superman_hv_3:

It was very nice of Superman to give Roberta his cape. Nice to also see the many suggestions about Superman’s costume in the thread here. The one I know about his costume was a fun adventure that Jimmy actually had when he and Superman visited Smallville again in Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen #8.

Good work Kent, on your way to getting a Pulitzer if you keep your writing up like that! :superman_hv_4:

Just reading each kids reaction to the Super jacket of Roberta’s. :rofl:

Good thinking Jimmy. :nerd_face:

Also, really good thinking Superman. :joy:

Superman Smashes The Klan Panels 3

Aw, gee Ma and Pa… :man_facepalming: :sweat_smile:

Ah, yes… The curious case of what happened to the lion next… I think he got a nice steak to eat. :lion: :yum:

Excellent point on all accounts Lois! :rofl:

The importance of listening to each other and it’s true that you do end up getting what you pay. :thinking: :grin:

Ah, what nice pictures of each of Clark’s families. I like how they are each similar to each other and how important it is that his parents are there for him always. :cry: :+1:

It’s true Superman that we all share the same tomorrow. Better to work towards a better tomorrow than to hide and potentially also do things that definitely hurt others.

Yup, poor Clark seemingly missing out on all these stories… :man_shrugging: :superman_hv_4:

Excellent ending shot to an excellent read. :star_struck:

And… As for the bonus discussion…

To reconcile opposing beliefs within ourselves or in others when confronted with them is to first recognize the person. Recognizing that the person can have good or bad days like any of us and that there are more important things than being right or wrong in a situation is key to reconciliation. Reflection on the situation from another perspective is also a good way to reconcile.

I think that the story succeeded in not being too preachy or too scary for kids.
It showed why the thinking of the Clan of the Fiery Cross was wrong and why it is important not to think that way and that it is better to come together as a group for better days not filled with hate.

Some specific actions we everyday citizens can take to unite for a better tomorrow include helping others when we can, set examples to be followed that are more productive, and learn to deescalate situations without harm. There is still work to be done, and as long as there are those willing to make that better tomorrow, we can and will get there.

6 Likes

Finally, a few bonus discussion thoughts:

1. I don’t think I can solve the problem of reconciling opposing beliefs in a few sentences. I think it could be a good start to really examine our beliefs and try to understand others’ beliefs. Why do we believe what we do? How do our beliefs affect how we live, and what do they mean for how we treat other people? What’s really important to us, and do our beliefs match that?

2. I think the story succeeded in its goal. I’m an adult, and I didn’t find the story too preachy. I flipped through it with my young daughter, and she didn’t seem overly scared.

3. I think the best advice is following the example of Gene Luen Yang’s father’s friend, Dave. We should take the time to get to know our neighbors, putting ourselves out there to talk with and learn from those around us. And if we see others being treated unfairly, we should stand up, say something, and—if possible—do something.

Thanks so much, everybody! Having this discussion with all of you has been so wonderful. I knew I really enjoyed this story, but I’ve seen so many new things through your comments and analysis. I’m so glad to not be reading alone!

6 Likes