[Superman Fan Club] đź“» Superman Radio Show Listen-Along Clan of the Fiery Cross! đź“» Wednesday May 19th 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT / 8 pm CT

Presenting: The Adventures of Superman Radio Show episodes #1308-1313, episodes 1-6 of the 16 part “Clan of the Fiery Cross” (and Pep cereal of course).

It’s time again for the hot twice-a-month Wednesday Evening [Superman Fan Club] :radio: Listen-Along :radio:, open to one and ALL!!!

This month we give a hearty welcome to the DC Book Club, who are also enjoying the three part periodical series by Gene Luen Yang and Gurihiru “Superman Smashes the Klan” which is based on this radio storyline of 1946.

6 short episodes = a fun way to celebrate the halfway point of the week!!!

Where: Right here on the forums! In this thread! In the comments!

When: Wednesday May 19th 2021 9 PM ET / 8 PM CT / 6 PM PT / 7 PM MT

We’ll launch the Youtube video (or audio recording if you prefer) in perfect harmony!

What to queue and save to Youtube Favorites beforehand:

There is one recording of the episodes we will be listening to and discussing live as it plays here in this thread Wednesday evening:

The Adventures of Superman #1308-1313 parts 1 through 6 of the 16 part episode adventure of “Clan of the Fiery Cross.”

On Youtube: (1 hour 7½ minutes): https://youtu.be/VXSkGm6gzco

or

Audio only on Google Drive (1 hour 7½ minutes): The Adventures of Superman #1308 - Clan of the Fiery Cross (part 1-6) [1946-06-10].mp3 - Google Drive

All of the recordings for these Listen Alongs are also in this Youtube Playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLY5lxO0toreKAZJk2lGhtc_cUou_SbNHv

All Superman Radio Show episodes are public domain.

Does joining the [Superman Fan Club] sound like a fun idea for you this year? Do you crave enjoying and discussing with others this radio show of the 1940s as well as Silver and Bronze age comics featuring Superman and his family 1955-1985? Then click here for more information: DC Community

The second half of the storyline is planned to be presented here Wednesday June 16th, same super time, same super site!

See you Wednesday night!
                ಠ_ಠ   

:radio: … . … … Look, Up In the Sky! … … . … :radio:

9 Likes

Woooooooooo! :partying_face:

5 Likes

yayayayyay

5 Likes

Pep-brand cereal is nummers! :drooling_face:

6 Likes

We’re going grocery shopping this weekend and I’m picking up Pops cereal since it’s one letter away from Pep and it’s my favorite cereal. Going to listen in style on Wednesday if I don’t eat it all before then! :bowl_with_spoon:

7 Likes

It’s going to turn out to be a Super week next week potentially between:

The chat on Tuesday with Gene Luen Yang

Your Watch Along @Bar-El later Tuesday

This Listen Along Wednesday

And then the wonderful Superman and Lois Mid Season Premiere Watch Along on Saturday! @arkhamassassin

It feels like a mini DC Fandome for Superman fans!

7 Likes

Well, Superman is unequivocally the best franchise in comics (and one of the best in entertainment as a whole), so we fans of “The S” always have oodles of his entertainment noodles to figuratively nibble on. :superman:

makes a note to attempt to join this LAL, should his schedule allow it

Speaking of radio shows that starred legends, I’m tempted to once more listen to the Orson Welles-starring The Shadow radio show. My mom has those on tape, and they were a childhood favorite of mine, especially the Blue Coal ads.

6 Likes

Me as well. I’ve only heard little bits and pieces of the Shadow radio show. I’ve read lots of the original pulp of it, including currently.

I see Comic Book Plus has collected those recordings as well. I’ll do a little more research on it and see if it might be fun to scrub out most of the commercials and maybe do something over in the Iceberg Lounge with that sometime this summer.

5 Likes

There’s a few others very tempting that they have including Tom Corbett, Space Cadet.

4 Likes

Whichever adds can be scrubbed, please don’t take out those for Blue Coal.

“Friend, is your home protected for the coming Winter season? Be sure it is, by picking up a bag of Blue Coal today. Yes, that’s Blue Coal! Ask for it by name at your local dealer.”

I love old-timey radio shows. Sirius has a radio show channel, but I don’t remember the channel # offhand (too early to Google it :yawning_face:).

6 Likes

when will we finish the talking cat @Don-El ?

2 Likes

In about two and a half weeks

3 Likes

I’m not sure we’ll be able to finish the entire thing then, but we’ll have an entire night dedicated to several of the Talking Cat" episodes the first Wednesday evening in June.

4 Likes

I found some Kelloooooooooogg’s PEP!

7 Likes

Did you use your own time machine?

5 Likes

Whatever you do don’t eat too much of it at once, at least according to this article on Wikipedia…

Pep became one of the first “fortified” cereals, with an infusion of vitamins, beginning in the 1930s. Extensive advertising, from print advertisements to sponsorship of The Adventures of Superman radio show, and the television and radio shows of Tom Corbett–Space Cadet, helped keep the brand in the public’s (particularly children’s) consciousness. Pep was included in “variety packs” of serving-sized boxes of Kellogg’s cereals. The cereal’s “mildly laxative” property was routinely mentioned in print ads.

Pep faded from popularity as public tastes changed, and the brand was discontinued in the late 1970s.

6 Likes

I didn’t know that. I’ll have to look for it. I love the Shadow show and the Green Hornet, years ago I found MP3 discs of the Superman show, the Shadow and Green Hornet on ebay. They have a lot of episodes on each disc, not all of course, but a nice selection. It would be cool if you could pull together some of those other shows for a LAL in the Iceberg Lounge @Don-El. I’d be there!

6 Likes

:joy: :poop:

6 Likes

No, I’ll be trying the new Kellogg’s Sugar Smacks.

8 Likes

We were taken aback during one of the Listen Alongs recently where there was a commercial similar to this, where Clark and Jimmy were actually part of the commercial highlighting the free Sundial watch you could get from Pep!

3 Likes