[DC Animated Club] Present, Kevin Conroy: The Man Behind The Bat

Hello everybody,
As we’re about to celebrate 2 years of DC Universe, you can almost find Kevin Conroy in any shows on here with him playing Batman.
Conroy has been voicing Batman for 29 amazing years, longer then any actors both in live action and animation.
So this month we’ll be looking at some of his work that he did on each different series and video games! There will be a watch along soon, be sure to check for that one. Anyway here’s a video of him telling how he got started,

I just have to throw in this video which I think is his favorite Batman quote, :slightly_smiling_face:

Questions

1. Which version of Batman do you like that Kevin played?
  2. What’s your favorite Batman episode?
  3. Have you ever met Kevin? Please do share if you did.:slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll try to update this thread as much as possible, please feel free to leave a comment.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes
  1. Favorite is Batman the animated series the best he did was Justice League Action!
  2. Favorite batman episode? My favorite Conroy episode is Epilogue but favorite batman is Chill of the night
  3. This brings back a really painfull memory of mine, I planned to go to a comic con with him in it but the pandemic came
2 Likes

So sorry to hear that, I hope you’ll get a chance to meet him next time.:confused:

1 Like

Favorite Batman of all time. Live action, animated or otherwise. Same with Mark Hamill’s Joker. I loved all his DCAU stuff most (don’t make me choose)

Almost Got ‘Im and Heart of Ice are my favorite B:TAS episodes but I think my favorite Conroy Batman moment is in JLU “This Little Piggy” and how much he cares for WW and that whole exchange at the top of the episode (and the singing)

Funny story about meeting him. I once saw him in public randomly. I tried to walk up to him but was so overwhelmed just looking at him I turned around.

3 Likes
  1. I am partial to his work as Batman in the Arkham games, he works with a great cast and it really is one of the better displays of Batman’s fighting and detective work. Also in Justice League: Doom as a special feature when he breaks down the agamemnon contingency gives me chills everytime.

2. Hard to say, anything with Mr. Freeze in BTAS, his interaction with Ace as retold by Amanda Waller in JLU, anything his voice touches is just gold.

3. He did a pannel at wondercon a few years ago and I was a day late so I just went into the room to be where he was, it was magical. I hope to meet him.

3 Likes

Welcome to DC Universe @jacksonjakebova.2813! :grinning: And Thankyou so much for your comments, I’ll be adding more stuff about Kevin Conroy Throughout the month of September, be sure to check back.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes
  1. I think his work in the Arkham games is probably my favorite. So much versatility and the amount of recording hrs spent blows me away.
  2. This Little Piggy from JLU has to be the fave…Batman singing changed my life and I think to this day Im still in denial it was real at all.
  3. Tho one thing I know for sure that isn’t real is me meeting Kevin Conroy :sob:
3 Likes

Let’s start with the early years before Batman.
Early Years
Kevin Conroy was born in Westbury New York on November 30th, 1955.
In 1973 he went to Juilliard school. It’s a same school that other famous actors like Christopher Reeve and Robin Williams went too.
By 1980 Conroy started to appear on television like the soap opera ‘Another World.’
In 1983 Conroy had a small role in 1983 miniseries ‘Kennedy’ playing young Ted Kennedy. This movie stars Martin Sheen (The West Wing) as John F. Kennedy, John Shea (Lois & Clark: The Adventures of Superman) as Robert Kennedy, E.G. Marshall (Superman 2) as Joseph P. Kennedy Sr. And Blair Brown (Smallville episode: Lineage). And future DC actor John Glover appeared in this movie with a very small role.
Here’s a 12 minutes clip of the movie that take place on the Election night.

A year later Conroy appeared in another President miniseries movie, ‘George Washington’ playing John Laurens.

Throughout the 80s he would be doing Shakespeare on Broadway, appear in tv films and guest star on a TV shows like Murphy Brown.
By 1991, his life was about to change with a biggest role yet…

To Be Continued…

After the successful of 1989 Batman, it was clear that Warner Bros wanted to make a new Batman cartoon series. Bruce Timm volunteer to work on the new Batman series, he decided to based Batman on the classic Fleischer Superman cartoon. Here’s a video of his test pilot…

After seeing it Jean MacCurdy who was executive of animation for Warner Bros, greenlight the series.

When Kevin Conroy audition, he got the part when voicing Batman with lowering his voice, as Bruce Wayne, he use his own voice.

PP_20_-_Your_crazy_friend
He would voice Batman for 85 episodes and a hit animated film, Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm.

3 Likes

Hello @DCAnimatedClub,
Fandome has a video on Kevin Conroy, I hope you guys get a chance to watch it. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

First thing I watched. Great insight into him as an actor. Probably will watch again later. Also did one for Cyborg/Beast Boy actors in TT/TTG

1 Like

I didn’t miss that one! Really enjoyed it!

1 Like
  1. Which version of Batman do you like that Kevin played?

Obviously the BTAS because its a classic but I’m more partial to the JL/JLU, arkham games, and the Batman Beyond series (something about a crabby old bman is just adorable)

1. What’s your favorite Batman episode?

Its probably Batman Beyond return of the joker and Knights of Camelot and injustice society and the batman superman movie (OH man I thought thatd be an easy question lol)

1. Have you ever met Kevin? Please do share if you did.:slightly_smiling_face:

No I haven’t unfortunately, I did go to NYCC and saw the panel for arkham origins with Troy Baker and Roger Craig Smith (I know they’re no Conroy or Hamil but it was amazing, Baker read the killing joke in jokers voice it was a good time)

1 Like

Omg I’m not the only one! (Not with Conroy) but I fan girled so hard once I couldn’t even think of anything to say and my hands were shaking so bad. I’m sure I looked like a fish out of water :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

Yeah any chance I get to meet someone famous I avoid bc I just :see_no_evil: suck at it lol

4 Likes

I was far enough away he didn’t see me freaking out but I knew if I got closer it would be embarrassing.

2 Likes

I live in NYC. I was in a packed subway and we were all really close together (because it was NYC in the before times). I ended up being face to face with John Wesley Shipp and couldn’t go anywhere for a few stops and he asked if I was ok, saw me wearing a flash shirt, and then asked if I was a fan. I kind of embarrassed myself already so I just said I loved 90s/CW shows. I think by the look on his face he liked that I mentioned I watched 90s series. Probably everyone he meets in public knows him as Jay Or Henry Allen.

2 Likes

Wow that’s awesome! Don’t feel to bad, everybody has a embarrassing moment with celebrity. :slightly_smiling_face:
My worst embarrassing moment was asking Kate Mulgrew a question in front of 5,000 people!:cold_sweat:
I notice the episode of ‘Lion and the unicorn’ episode of Batman the animated series when it first air with Voyager in second season, so I thought this was my one chance to ask. I was wondering if she made that episode before or after she got the part of Captain Janeway.
When I ask, she was confuse and ask me to repeat the question, then after I repeat my question she ask the crowd of 5,000 people what I ask, by now I’m feeling embarrassed and wanted to hide somewhere!
Then I said Kevin Conroy was Batman, then thankfully that trigger her memory and she said she made it before, she did it with a polite nod with a smile.
So don’t feel bad @N81, you’re not alone and Thankyou for sharing your story.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Mulgrew is amazing. Huge Trekkie

1 Like