Dawn of DC

That Frank Cho cover is simple but gorgeous! Interesting that Ravager is a big marketing point, but not in the solicit text. The Jim Cheung and Simone di Meo covers are very Batmantastic.

I’m a bit frustrated that this is basically Urban Legends repackaged with a less Batman focused lineup. I don’t mind the expanded lineup, but…I just hated Urban Legends so much. If you’re going to do short stories, I would prefer them as backups, not really expensive anthologies.

3 Likes

Ravager is in stormwatch. Maybe dc does not have confidence in stormwatch so they put stormwatch in an anthology title. Seems like even superman needs some help from the popularity of Batman.

2 Likes

I’m really only interested in Stormwatch because Mr. Bones is in it.

1 Like

Looks like dc is quite serious about having more diversity. Three new titles have a chinese, a whole team from India, and a korean (city boy).

2023 city boy 1 by alexandre tefengi

2023 city boy 1 by minkyu jung

4 Likes

2023 dawn by jeff spokes

Looks like the hawk title is about hawkman, hawkwoman and hawkgirl.

5 Likes

Where’s Hawkwoman?

3 Likes

Hawkwoman is maybe hiding behind hawkman. The art has the old costume of power girl so it was maybe drawn some time ago. The Flash looks like the old flash costume of Barry Allen before Death Metal or maybe it is the influence of the movie costume. The wonder woman cape looks great altho wonder woman rarely wears the cape nowadays. Some believe the wonder woman costume might be getting a slight redesign. Maybe there will be a 2nd flash family title.

2 Likes

Unless I’m mistaken, she’s next to Nightwing and the Natasha Irons Steel.

1 Like

No, that is Hawkgirl.

5 Likes

looks like you were right about jason mot being on ram vs team but he isn’t on an outsider book ether does this mean no jason todd book this year :disappointed:

2 Likes
2 Likes

I really do like the premise of spirit world and with Cassandra Cain Batgirl here, it would be interesting to see her in a magical world with Asian influences. My only problem though is why John Constantine is involved? It’s totally just my pet peeve, but I can’t stand the idea of him in this book. I much would perfer Princess Amethyst, Madame Xanadu or any other magical character in this series, because I feel like DC has ton of amazing magical characters they rarely use ever since John Constantine has been around. He doesn’t need to be in every magic focused book, DC.

1 Like

I’m not interested in this book, as the magic world of DC generally just doesn’t interest me (I like Zatanna mostly for the execution that Dini writes with, not the concept at all), so I don’t have a horse in the race, but my perspective from the outside is that Constantine is the Batman of DC magical world, and they’re putting him in for sales. And because writers really like him.

2 Likes

Looks like they are using more popular characters to help out the less popular characters. There was a plan to put Harley Quinn in the Firestorm story but they maybe decided in the end that firestorm does not need Harley Quinn. The Circuit Breaker story had Jay Garrick and Wally West on the cover but in the story, they instead used Avery Ho.
For the china yokai world, it can probably be done like Gegege No Kitaro who fights a great variety of japan yokai. Many of the japan yokai originated from china and india. Many china yokai originated from india.

1 Like

I’m bummed that its just a Urban Legends repackaged to I thought I was getting brave and the bold again

2 Likes

An outsiders title will probably come out and maybe will have maybe 1 or 2 batman family characters to help boost sales.

3 Likes

When that happens, I really would like to see the Jace Batman on the team. In Second Son, Katana was his teacher. I would love to see him on a team still learning. Especially from Katana or Black Lighting.

1 Like

I haven’t really seen Jace written in a way that makes me want to see more. On the other hand, Brandon Thomas wrote Duke Thomas on the Outsiders absolutely brilliantly.

2 Likes

That’s what I am thinking though. Brandon Thomas wrote Signal great. I would like to see Jace in a similar fashion. I see the potential to make him a Batman with a journey in the DCU. He needs to learn to be a better hero as Batman from heroes who are more established and began globetrotting with the outsiders. A “Batman” and the Outsiders title seems fairly straightforward.

Right now, the way the main writer John Ridley is writing him, Jace is a little too much self-righteous for me to take him seriously. It’s frustrating to see his creative potential squandered.

1 Like

Right now, Ridley has driven Jace way too far into the ground at the expense of two characters I love - Luke and Lucius. And Ridley hasn’t treated Tam well either. So I just want him to go away for a while, a new writer pull him out in a decade or so, and find a new fanbase.

2 Likes