Dawn of DC

Any thoughts on the post dark crisis reboot

6 Likes

Thanks, I hate it.

4 Likes

Hard to tell until we see the January solicitations. It’s pretty much all speculation until then.

Bringing back the JSA and associated titles under the “New Golden Age” banner is a very good start as far as I’m concerned, though.

Why? How much do we even know about it now? Did I miss something?

7 Likes

For one aspect revealed in something called the Big bang involving Mark Waid changing the omniverse or multiverses which will reveal that the recent independent universes like Knights of steel, DC mech, and Batman 89 are canonical to the main multiverse. Mark waid will be the architect of this concept and my guess is that it will include the concept of hypertime to explain certain issues away.
It’s the beginning of a new DC multiverse, but what that implies for rules established by Grant Morrison in Multiversity and if Waid is going to curtail the message established after Death metal of everything matters for something entirely new and original. We just have to wait and see.

Besides the Golden age era, we actually don’t know what to expect with the rest of the changes to the prime earth characters.

We know Nightwing will be central figure in that era and apparently these covers reveal the lineup for this new Justice League team

It’s still to early to call but from what I am seeing, the Future State characters are not the focus in it. They aren’t the new Justice League as many people assume but rather the old team(Wonder-woman, Batman, Superman, Aquaman Arthur Curry, Flash Barry Allen, and Green Lantern Hal Jordan with new members which will include Shazam Billy Batson and the titan leaders of Nightwing, Starfire, and Cyborg.

4 Likes

Can’t say I totally Blame you. The DC universe at this point had 3 reboots in the span of 5 years that pretty much reaffirm themselves with the idea of bringing back what was before but this always mean their is always a similar universal ending threat that we seen before. The phrase “been there, done that” rings in my head every time it happens.

Joshua Williamson is a talented writer but this story, no matter how meta it got, didn’t need to exist, feeling more like a facsimile of Death Metal but less messy.

With infinite frontier establishing the new and old legacy characters that unfortunately new fans will get blindsided now that a new era is starting again, something I feared happening when Future State was announced way back in December 2020. The justice league didn’t need to be replaced or anything but I knew that Jace, Jon, and Yara would not last when the nature of DC comics is always going to revert to a status quo that would denote legacy heroes.
It’s why Legion of super-heroes, Titans, and young justice hardly ever last long now and have a smaller presence than they did before.

I hate crisis and wish DC just stop making them. It’s annoying and honestly hurts getting more people to read comics when things like this happen annually.
Just let it phase out or something because they aren’t fun anymore, and right now it’s just straight up depressing.

6 Likes

I am looking forward to it, if it does mean a return of legacy characters. DC has been very stale since future state. I do like Yara and hope she sticks around in some form. I also am hoping for a return of the main Superman title with Clark Kent.

7 Likes

I really don’t think this is going to be a reboot at all. I think it’s like Infinite Frontier - a relaunch, but not a reboot.

5 Likes

I don’t know, I actually feel pretty positive about it and will unless they give me a valid reason to feel otherwise. The return of the Infinite Earths means you can have old alternate universes return, add existing alternate universes into canon, and create brand new alternate universes. As a Multiverse-guy, I like that. I’ve enjoyed the Multiverse as it has been since the end of 52, but limiting it to 52 earths was always kind of a compromise.

Would I have like Jon, Jace, Yara, Jo, and co. to take over as the new generation Justice League? Yes, I would have loved that. But, that ship probably sailed after 5G was canned. Ultimately, I like Mark Waid and trust his work, so I don’t see any reason to be worried about this. Unless they actually give me a reason to be worried about this.

Agreed. I don’t think this is like a New 52 hard reboot. It’s just the beginning of the next few years of DC stories.

5 Likes

Based on interviews, Dark Crisis is not a reboot. Interviews say they want more titles like Justice Society, Teen Titans, Legion. Dark Crisis mainly promoted the legacy characters and also did promote the Justice Society but unfortunately, they were not able to promote Legion in Dark Crisis.

4 Likes

If want to have some Titans in the Justice League, I would go with Superman, Batman, WW, Barry, Hal, Cyborg, Starfire, Raven, Changeling. Nightwing can lead his own Justice League team or Titans team rather than be in the main Justice League which is usually dominated by Batman.

2 Likes

Depends on what happens to the characters I care about. For example, I like the current run of Nightwing, so if he gets completely overhauled I’ll probably be disappointed. If he just gets showcased in multiple books as his solo continues, then I’ll probably be happy. If they kill him, I’ll be mad. The same goes for Wally, although I’d be fine with two Flash books (The Flash and The Flash Family or something).

Dawns should be happy and hopeful things…

5 Likes

Maybe Nightwing can lead his own justice league team with Jon Kent, Yara, Jo.

2 Likes

Maybe! I don’t think any of them are going anywhere for the time being, so that’s always an option. Or, they could still take over the Justice League in the future.

2 Likes

Geoff Johns seems in charge of the Legion again so my guess is Geoff Johns will bring back the retroboot Legion.

3 Likes

I dunno if we can get two Flash books, but we did get Flash to go twice a month now!

4 Likes

This is a shot in the dark, but, in Flashpoint Beyond #5, Johns made a reference to a “Legion of Four Worlds.” That is both a throwback to his Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds tie-in, but is also a possible look at what’s to come. If there is to be a “Legion of Four Worlds,” my guess would be the four Legions are as follows:

1. The OG Legion (1958-1994)
  2. The Post Zero-Hour Legion (1994-2005)
  3. The second Mark Waid Legion (2005-2011)
  4. The most recent Bendis Legion

In a fit of wild speculation, I would say that the new Legion could be some rebooted combination of the four. But, again, this is a shot in the dark. However, if Waid is a big figure in the next DC phase, it’s worth noting that Waid created two of those Legion teams (Post Zero-Hour and 2005). Legion continuity is the quantum physics of the DC Universe, though.

5 Likes

It’s going to take more accomplished creators than just Johns and Waid to revive this drowning comic book company. I hope that with creative commitment there’s a monetary component accompanying this “initiative”. You gotta pay people what they’re worth DC! Otherwise, this "Dawn of DCU is just snake oil.

1 Like

Johns and Waid ate worth a lot. I think the real problem is the nee guard needs to step up besides Taylor and Venditti.

3 Likes

It also might be an editorial problem. Someone needs to say “no” every so often to some of the lame stories their stable of writers is pitching.

2 Likes

This whole Dawn of DC just feels like I’ve already seen this alot

3 Likes