Dan DiDio out at DC

Agreed - I shouldn’t get my hopes up for Jimmy, nor should I rumor monger. Just wishful thinking for, as you said, someone who loves the characters and has good leadership skills.

I was about to comment that they may likely bring in some kind of proper Warner Brothers suit to keep things on track, but then I just realized something. Did they EVER replace Diane Nelson as President of DC Entertainment when she left a couple years ago? I got so used to Dan and Jim ruling over things, I forgot they used to have a clear boss. A quick Google search yielded me no results.

So in two years, Diane Nelson quits, Dan Didio is gone, and Geoff Johns yields his title. Would anyone have guessed back when Image was being founded that Jim Lee would have ended up solely in power of DC one day, with no one even close to his level of power?

1 Like

Bleeding Cool has an article of creator responses too. They all have positive things to say about him except for Rob Liefeld. (Plus Chip Zdarsky and Evan Dorkin making jokes)

I doubt it. For a company like AT&T comics are a very small portion of their business. They are likely to let people who know comics run things unless DC starts losing money.

1 Like

Definitely not. I remember a lot of Image fans were thinking Jim Lee and company would dethrone Marvel and Image and reign supreme over comic book land.

Obviously Image is far from a failure, but well… it most definitely didn’t work out like most seemed to think it was going to.

5 Likes

@TurokSonOfStone1950 To be clear, Superman would be 80ish by the time of 5G. Batman would be at a similar age. That’s not to say it’s insane, but it is time to move on a little bit.

2 Likes

Honestly I wish Geoff Johns would take the helm. I love the idea of everything being made to matter and the idea of 5G and all these generations books but I’m not his biggest fan. Still wish him nothing but the best though!

3 Likes

Just as with some of the bad decisions we’ll never know exactly how much was DiDio and how much was not. For instance there has been a lot of talk about how despite being the one who set it in motion, DiDio apparently hated what they did in 52 and later stated that Countdown was “52 done right”.

But I agree that we did get some interesting stuff during his tenure and there is no doubt he actually did love DC and its characters. He did always seem enthusiastic when talking about new projects and as far as I can tell a lot of creators like him and he gave a lot of the creators we love today their big chance at DC.

A lot of the decisions I haven’t liked during DiDio’s time as co-publisher, seem to have been championed by DiDio based on a lot of the commentary over the years and much of what I have liked seem to be the stuff he didn’t. That said I’m sure that he’s likely been blamed for a lot of things that wasn’t his fault or praised for things that wasn’t either. But no matter how much I might hate some of the decisions that have been made, they’ve been done with intent of improving the brand, so I can’t really hate the man for trying. We just saw the DC Universe and what made it great very differently.

As for the comments about it being too late to change 5G, I’d have to somewhat agree. When we look back at the launch of the New 52 it seemed that a lot of decisions were made at the very last minute and that originally it wasn’t intended as a hard reboot. There was quite a few things at the beginning that supported that claim and we’ve seen creators comment on it afterwards as well. Now, how close to the actual launch date the changes happened I don’t think we fully know, but we have see images from some of the books being done that had to be changed because they went from a softer reboot to mostly a hard one.

Finally, I’d like to say that while we see lot of people rejoicing his departure, I think we have to separate the man from his role when doing so. I doubt most people actually enjoy seeing a man losing his job (I have a hard time seeing DiDio not finding something else pretty quick though) I think most of those comments are more about looking forward to a different direction than what DiDio stood for at DC. We have no idea why DiDio was removed though so the big question now becomes what kind of direction will that be.

6 Likes

yahoooo yippeeeeee hooraaaa–

far

8 Likes

I liked Dan. We can pretty much confirm that he has left the company.
There were some really great stories told under his tenure as EIC. I didn’t agree with everything he wanted but I liked him.
What makes or breaks DC from here is who do they replace him?
If it’s Jim Lee or Geoff Johns, I am onboard. Those guys are great.
If it is Bendis? … Oh boy… I’ll have to check my stock portfolio and see if I got stocks to dump.

3 Likes

Here’s a very reliable source:

I don’t know how I feel about all this. As some people say, I don’t really know how much of the decision-making was up to him. Also, on the verge of a big change it does make me nervous. The next person may want to change things, and since a start date for some kind of changes/new content has been announced, it could lead to some last minute changes and therefore half-baked. Things can already be confusing in the DC timeline and what’s canon and what’s not. If they mess it up even more or muddy the waters even a bit (more) it could lead to isolating existing readers more and prevent new customers from hopping on.

If they do continue/change what they’re doing starting in May, I hope it’s not a reboot. I hope they just clarify DC timeline and what’s canon, what’s not, etc. Make it VERY clear for ANY reader old and new.

4 Likes

The way I see it, like was said earlier, a lot of the stuff Dan gets flack for? Jim Lee was there, too. We really don’t know who did what behind the scenes other than Dan realllly liked being the spokesperson.

And I don’t think Jim Lee did all that great of a job running Wildstorm. Just sayin’.

But, hey, I’m down to try anything. Although, it is a little concerning how much has happened since the AT&T purchase.

7 Likes

I hate that this happened, because it only reiterates the issues that the whole company is having. The movies “can’t get it right”, the comics “can’t get it right”, etc… AT&T absolutely scares me. I am really worried about what comes next. Rumors are not good, but of course, they are just rumors at this point.

6 Likes

What I wonder is how will this effect the books going forward. Bendis and 5g has his change everything with no merit feeling all over it. I mean Naomi is Basically Riri. You can make good character’s that are new if you develop them well and take your time. Honor Guest is a great example of this. Which should still be published. You don’t take up others mantles and have no history behind them. Sales for Rebirth shows what people want in a cynical world of divide. We want hope and a light at the end of the tunnel. Not more modern Picard type nonsense. Where the history is thrown out for spectacle and short term gain instead of honoring what came before. Let’s hope that is the case.

5 Likes

Dan DiDio is a guy who loves comic books. Surely this alone makes him relatable enough to anyone reading it here that we can avoid the negative comments due to his inability to cater to our personal preferences?

10 Likes

(In case my joke was unclear, I agree. And I have preexisting Jim Lee baggage anyway, having barely survived the 1990s.)

5 Likes

I am starting to wonder if the DC Collectibles name change to DC Direct might be bigger than we know… Could we see DC Direct be the place to get DC Comics at some point? Like the only way to get them is to order from DC Direct? Okay that is just me thinking outside of the box…

2 Likes

Dan seems like a good guy, he has passion and if this thread has proven anything, that we are passionate too. He just made some bad decisions when it came to the fans, He does deserve to be treated well, however, his years at DC ruining characters is over

3 Likes

I think that whatever happens, DC fans need to stand up and support the heck out of the comics side, if we want to see DC comic books in the future. However, if the new stuff is just garbage, then of course I would be very torn on what to do.

6 Likes

Here Here!

1 Like

It is interesting to ponder isn’t it. I am fascinated by the reorganization of so much in our society currently. I haven’t seen where any of us would know what happened or who or what made the Didio decision.
The consolidation of the streaming wars has me fascinated. I watched a fruity pepples commercial a minute ago on CN & ended up pondering the deals that went into all of those IP exchanges.
Hmmm… H-B, WB, Boomerang, to WarnerMedia… Is that right?.. I haven’t looked it up yet, just pondering.
Anyway, it’s been a good week. How’s your week?

2 Likes

My week was great, until the Dan DiDio news. I knew something was up when the DC Direct name change came out. It is certainly interesting times.

2 Likes