Dan DiDio out at DC

For sure! Have a Super Day!

1 Like

Wrote on another thread without having seen this one. The is what my initial thoughts were:

My partner reminded me though that one of those times I met him, he was the head of a panel and he said some things that really upset me. I still wish him well.

I am very much interested to see what changes come from this and what the future of DC comics is.

7 Likes

Now that I have had time to think about who should take over, maybe a certain writer know for his batman and superman work, that also just so happen to leave Marvel TV recently could take control

Maybe a certain Jeph Loeb could take over?

8 Likes

Didnā€™t know much about him until DC Universe came out. Didnā€™t even read comics until it came out. From what I heard he was around for a lot of big DC events.

He seemed like a really nice guy. Enjoyed his chats with John on DC Nation. Wish him the best wherever he goes next.

1 Like

Jim Lee is my idol, how could he ever do something wrong??

Itā€™s funny because thereā€™s two sides commenting on this from news sites to industry professionalā€™s. Some are saying this is more proof of dc shutting down itā€™s publishing line (which I truly hope is greatly inaccurate) while others say itā€™s the best thing to happen to DC. :thinking:

1 Like

I actually figured you did but wasnā€™t 100%. Still, I wanted to expand on my thoughts anyway.

You did make me giggle.

1 Like

Donā€™t get me wrong, heā€™s a great artist. I just got the DC Art of Jim Lee or whatever itā€™s called this past Christmas. Just not sure how could he really is on the business end. I know thatā€™s just me looking in from the outside with no actual knowledge, though.

And, hey, he survived while Dan didnā€™t, so what do I know.

3 Likes

Loeb wouldnā€™t actually be a terrible choice.

2 Likes

Probably way more than I do.

Who knows what type of pressure comes with that job that Dan did over the last decade? First, thereā€™s the pressure of dealing with all of these creative folks, and the demands that they can sometimes make. Then thereā€™s the pressure of being the public face of the company, and having to put a positive spin on every bad decision made. Having to justify creative decisions to the fans, when some of them were a little head-scratchy. Dealing with the fan backlash therefrom. I think we all know what jerks we fans can be sometimes. Finally, and perhaps worst of all, is having to deal directly with and answer to the Time/Warner/AT&T corporate overlords. Those soul-sucking parasites who only care about numbers. Despite all of that Dan found joy in his work. That, in and of itself, should be praiseworthy. I hope whatever comes next for Dan, he is able to take a little time for himself. He deserves it.

6 Likes

With Dan Didioā€™s reported release as co-publisher, what does this do for all his other responsibilities, like writing Metal Men? Has he relinquished / been relieved of this as well?

Iā€™m bad with names and remembering who wrote what who drew it with them etc. However even I found this news abrupt and seemingly random; he was just on a episode of DC daily wasnā€™t he?! I hope itā€™s nothing really bad as the reason, he seems really amped about DC.

@Don-El
Actually

Legion of Super Heroes had two titles when New 52 came out.

As did a version of the JSA albeit with much younger characters: Earth 2 and Worlds Finest.

I are pretty sure for both.that one of the two titles had the writer very associated with these two groups Paul Levitz

Legion.was cancelled early because of sales but Earth 2 was around a long time ending with the Society title many years after 2011.

3 Likes

Yay Batmanā€™s Sidekicks wonā€™t be going through phases anymoreā€‹:grinning:

Seeing the news unfold on Twitter last night was rather odd. There were many people celebrating his departure. Then there was Gail Simone who took the high road. Others did this as well but her statement was the loudest among the negative static. While many here have pointed to Geoff Johns I will throw Gail Simone into the list of names. I have enjoyed many of her titles for DC and elsewhere and it would be sweet to see her version of DC.

5 Likes

It would be interesting to see her version of the DC Universe for sure. I imagine she is busy with her own works though. I seriously hope they bring in someone that fans know and recognize as having an appreciation for the comic book world. Also someone willing to make changes but also listen a little more to fans wants and desires.

2 Likes

It would be best if it is someone familiar with the corporate attitude. Loeb knows the ropes as well as anyone I can think of. Heā€™s used to dealing with the numbers people. Heā€™s a comic fan. Heā€™s creative. There are others, but he stands out immediately.

4 Likes

This reminds me of how much wrestling fans and comic book fans are alike. Wrestling fans seem to be more volatile when it comes to their dislike, perhaps that is because they will complain all at once when a show is on. However, both camps seem to want the companies they are fans of to to jump on the fan suggestion wagon. I am not opposed to this in the least bit, it interesting to see when worlds collide in this fashion.

2 Likes

I was not a fan of all of DiDioā€™s decisions ( New 52 ), however he also championed some great stuff. Like him or not he took chances, and I respect that. Iā€™m more concerned about the publishing side ending or being gutted. Ever since comic book movies and TV shows became so popular, Iā€™ve feared the soulless executives would one day cease the publishing side.

10 Likes