Dan DiDio out at DC

There have been some pretty excellent comics that have come from DC during his long time managing the place, including some fairly bold ones. I sure hope that whomever it is that replaces him holds at least an equally high regard for experimental visions like Tom King’s Mister Miracle and Mark Russell’s Flintstones.

13 Likes

For Batman, Yes, But I will continue to lissen closely for amazing runs on character like Peter J on Superman, Joelle Jones on Catwoman, Jeff Lemire on Animal Man or any modern run that is good

6 Likes

Ok. THR is a more than reputable source. Thanks for the link.

I don’t have the vitriol towards some do. My biggest complaints (although not the only two) was his ridiculous take that DC needed to have a massive crisis event every couple of years and storylines that had so many tie-ins that were core to storylines.

Let books be their own books. Let them evolve and build themselves up over time. DC had one crisis event in 47 years. They have had 6 in the last 35 and with 5G was essentially going to make it 7. That’s absurd.

19 Likes

I agree, Mister Miracle is the best that came from this long run in my opinion, but they need to be a little more picky with who is avalible to a writer. Bendis should continue his work on Legion, but have him finish his stuff with Superman. I think that writers work better when they have a character no one has heard of and they make that character popular with an amazing story. It worked for Moore on Swamp Thing, Gaiman on Black Orchid, Robinson on Starman, and Morrison on Animal Man/Doom Patrol. They started low, where as Bendis was given free rain.

5 Likes

This!

8 Likes

I just wish he was off of Young Justice. Three of my favorites are on that team and he’s just killing me!

2 Likes

I wonder if Jim Lee being promoted to DiDio’s spot and we get Geoff Johns back. That would be good. I think Geoff wanted to stretch into new areas like the Stargirl series. I wonder if he’s seen how other areas work and would now return.

I also think that the full implementation of 5G won’t happen.

8 Likes

Mister Miracle was amazing, but it was essentially standalone. Or that was the way I read it. Tom King was all about it being canon, but…Anyway, they’re not doing nearly enough good work in the main universe imo.

1 Like

This is a man with a litany of mistakes under his belt. He is likely the one that conceived my favorite Batgirl turning evil, and at the very least, facilitated an environment of pointless changes and mediocrity that gave that same character the dumbest reinvention of any hero. Naturally, there are more serious issues, like letting Eddie Berganza stay on as long despite his reputation as a serial sexual harasser.
As Linkara put it in a thread on Twitter, some good may’ve come from his tenure, but it was often in spite of him, rather than because of him.

Perhaps he didn’t intend for things to happen as poorly as they did, and maybe he’d be a fun guy in a social setting. But regardless, some people just aren’t cut out for leadership roles. So I’ll let Balki and Cousin Larry express my feelings about his departure.

He will not be missed, in case I wasn’t being clear.

4 Likes

Entirely plausible. And perhaps the creative decisions which were formerly his purview may be ceded to the editors. But this is all speculation.

1 Like

This is exactly what I’m praying for. I felt like Johns was so passionate about Rebirth and then it got sidelined hard for some reason (Didio?). I would like to see Rebirth done right and then stick to that continuity for a few decades like post crisis.

9 Likes

Sorry to see him go, but then again if it was his idea with having Superman not wearing a red trunks and wear blue boots, and change Wonder Woman costume, All I have to say is don’t let the door hit you on your way out!
What’s going to become of DC Universe now?

4 Likes

Who knows? AT&T is a money machine. I could see them outsourcing. I hope not, but I could see that being an option if they replace DiDio with a telecom numbers guy.

5 Likes

He gets a lot of crap, and justifiably for some publishing decisions that weren’t great. I will be charitable and not name them at this time when he’s unemployed.

But I’ll be one of the few to say that some of my favorite comics came on Dan’s watch, with his explicit blessing, or even at him driving it. I am grateful for the hits!

GL: Rebirth/Sinestro Corps Wars, 52, Wednesday Comics were just some of the bolder ones that I hold dearly, but Dan had a long time at the helm and there were some great big swings since the early 2000’s. Thanks for loving these characters as much as I do, Dan.

Curious to see how things move forward, and I also agree with @HubCityQuestion that it won’t be Geoff Johns stepping up so soon after basically losing his title to Jim Lee. But I will say that there have always been rumblings of Jimmy Palmiotti taking on a bigger role given his success running Marvel Knights, I would be SO interested to see that!

11 Likes

Yup just saw the article, on yahoo news, though the way yahoo news is, who knows. looks like he was with DC for 10 some years.

I am not familiar with him at all, so I can’t honestly give any real opinion on it. Other than I hope who ever replaces him has a love for DC as many of us do.

6 Likes

I have had some major gripes with his tenure at DC. After all, it supposedly was his idea to have Doctor Light sexually assault Sue Dibny, and many similar decisions also seem to lead back to him. He may also be to blame for derailing the Rebirth initiative.

That said, I can’t celebrate a person losing a job they’re passionate about, and DiDio was clearly passionate about DC. I hope that he at least gets to complete his Metal Men maxi-series, if nothing else. (All of this is assuming that we don’t find out something horrible as the reasoning behind his sudden departure, of course).

11 Likes

I would love to see Palmiotti at the helm. But I am trying not to fall into the trap of “best case scenario wishing”. I mean I hope for the best, but them firing him does not promise someone better at the job taking his place. It could be someone with the love for the characters he has who has better decision making and leadership skills. Or it could be a numbers guy who doesn’t know or care about these characters and lets spread sheets and bean counters dictate all their decisions.

I am cautiously optimistic this is a good thing. But also think people who start saying things like Johns taking over might want to temper their expectations, or they could be setting themselves up for a disappointment,

3 Likes

But I like Barry.

3 Likes

Over on Reddit someone made a big post compiling all the folks who worked at DC during his tenure and the one that stood out to me the most was Gail Simone’s:

I liked Dan very much. We disagreed on a lot. But he did a lot that others took credit for, and when thinks went bad, he often took the blame he didn’t deserve.

This also brought up that a lot of the books with LGBT content over the years were there only because creators went to Didio when their editors tried to cut it.

Here’s the comment.

8 Likes

But I like Barry.

2 Likes