Chip Zdarsky and Jorge Jimenez On Main Batman Title!

That feels very hard to predict, honestly. I wish we had more solid numbers in terms of units sold.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry, I wish we had more solid numbers as well. I have found lists with actual units sold, but they are quite old and thus would not be indicative of current sales patterns. It’s fluctuated from as high as 125,000 units sold to a low of around 20,000 units sold. So it has been in “crisis” before and recovered. Another thing to note is that the market has also been saturated with titles for the past few years as well, so that’s another flaw in simply ranking the titles without showing sales numbers.

1 Like

If they are serious about it, it kind of makes all those issues and all that build-up feel quite futile and redundant (not to mention crushingly disappointing). However, I think It’s just too popular to drop without any explanation or confrontation at the very least. Regarding Talia, we simply do not know what will happen over the remainder of the Shadow War event; anything could occur in the next issue.

1 Like

We will have to see, of course. But DC’s editorial policy has been pretty darn clear.

1 Like

And a preview of BATMAN #125

I’m liking Jorge Jimenez’s new style.

Thinking about it, but I don’t believe that I’ve ever once regularly read BATMAN.

I of course knew who Batman was through the toys (I had the Mego Batman and Robin, and Batmobile) and cartoons, and reruns of the Adam West show, but I believe among the first Batman comics that I read were the “A Death in the Family” storyline. Because surely they weren’t going to kill Robin. Yet they did. And I didn’t call, but the call-in number was a fun gimmick.

(I remember everyone talking about it and how big of a deal it was, but I didn’t read THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS when it first came out.)

Anyway, I’ll make it a first and pick up BATMAN #125, and subscribe to it on Amazon Comixology.

(And I guess perfection for me would be if they reverted back to the original numbering.)

1 Like

Great pages – I think Jimenez’s art really needs to be shouted out, because while he doesn’t dramatically change his style, it definitely feels scratchier and grittier with more shadows compared to stuff he was drawing during Tynion’s run.

2 Likes

This blew up BatCat fans on Twitter…

1 Like

Yeah, I saw that – it’s interesting, because the guy in the room with Selina a new thief character that Tini Howard has introduced in her Catwoman run, but in a recent issue there was a page that has her sleeping next to Harley and implying that there is some attraction, but “both of our hearts are elsewhere.”

Also, the most recent issue of Catwoman’s “next on” at the end suggests that Batman will be in the next issue. So I’m thinking it’s one of two things:

1. Something happens in the next issue of Catwoman that makes it so that she hooks up with this Valmont guy.
  2. Selina and Valmont aren’t actually hooking up and Bruce is just assuming they are.

Honestly, I think it could go either way.

2 Likes

They aren’t hooking up. the other side of the bedsheet is not ruffled right for two people to have slept in the bed…however I am also thinking batcat may not be on such a break as they seem to be.

but I am thinking the bat may be dead for a while…well actually with dark crisis he likely is going to be dead for a few arks.

Good catch on the sheets!

I doubt he’ll be dead in this arc – I mean, a cover like that tells me he’s definitely not going to, honestly. I mean, he’ll probably be on death’s door and Nightwing will probably find him, but he’ll survive. Remember, all the DCU books, unless they tie directly into it, take place before Dark Crisis.

That said, if Zdarsky’s Batman is anything like Zdarsky’s Daredevil, Bruce is probably going to go through some crap at first.

Which reminds me I really need to catch up on his Daredevil…

1 Like

The cat is the wrong color too. this is from Catwoman 43 and The cat has been about the same color throughout the run…WAIT THE OTHER CAT IS FERAL TOMCAT FROM THE NEST IN CATWOMAN vol 5 issue 25

wouldn’t A world without Batman would be a tie-in?

@Nobody.bladesmith

This blew up BatCat fans on Twitter…

I can imagine it did. :smiling_face:

When I first read it, it was like, “Oh yeah, this is gonna get some Tweets.” :smiling_face:

I immediately went to Comixology and got the beginning of the Tini Howard run of CATWOMAN.

I was just going to wait until it came here, but no, I want to read this now.

EDIT:

As for BATMAN #125 (the leaked pages)-- between the sinister “woke” Penguin and his “woke” stance, and what looks to happen to Tim, this is looking pretty good!

1 Like

It’s a tie in for Dark Crisis, but that’s going to be something completely different to what’s going on in Zdarsky’s run. The “World Without Justice League” books likely have to do with what has been seen in books like Infinite Frontier and Justice League Incarnate, where all the characters seen in the Death of the Justice League story, plus Barry Allen, are in dream worlds created by Pariah and the Gentry that keeps them malleable and in check. Think if of it as a cosmic version of the Black Mercy.

Also, that’s actually an older image – they recently revealed more tie-in books for the event, and the only Bat-Book that’s going to directly tie into Dark Crisis as of right now is I Am Batman #15.

1 Like

wait… batman once force his way out of a Black Mercy…a heck of a lot faster than superman.

These two seem to be in good spirits…

And…

Zdarsky responded with a video of his own. “Tomorrow, Batman #125 comes out,” he said. “You don’t need to read the previous 124 issues to get it – but, hey, maybe you should. DC would like that. Batman #125 is out tomorrow. Jorge is amazing.” He goes on to joke, “[Jiménez] is so much better at these videos than I am. So that’s charming. I think I hate him.”

That’s music to my ears, because I sure had no intentions of doing that. :smiling_face:

I can jump on fresh and new, so good.

I don’t know why I’m suddenly on this with BATMAN, but I guess if they had kept the original or legacy numbering, this would be BATMAN #890 – or if you don’t count The New 52, then BATMAN #838.

Big numbers are good – I’m glad they did it with DETECTIVE COMICS. Hopefully DC will come up with a reason to go back to the legacy numbering for BATMAN, and any reason will do, it doesn’t matter – “just because” is fine with me. :smiling_face:

Maybe they’ll do it after DARK CRISIS.

Probably not – because I guess Batman is “dead” or something? :laughing:

Or maybe they’ll do it because he’s not really “dead.”

1 Like

I’m excited for this issue, too. I’m a little behind on Batman, and this does seem like a good place to jump on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This was unexpected…

Anyway, I’m going to wait for this run to come here to DC Universe Infinite.

It was an okay issue, but I see now why I’ve never really read BATMAN for any extended period of time – only just a few issues here and there. I pick it apart too much when I read it, so it ruins it.

On to DETECTIVE COMICS #1062 and the “gothic opera.”

What kinds of things did you find bothering you?

@millernumber1

As weird as it sounds, but I really don’t find Batman that interesting. :smiling_face:

I like Gotham City and everything surrounding Batman – I find that interesting, but not really him so much; not this type of Batman, at least.

And so after reading it, it was like, “Oh yeah, this is a straight-ahead Batman story. I don’t really want that.” :smiling_face:

So I’ll just wait six months and maybe read it then.

And picking up BATMAN #125 is really something that came about in the last week. I wasn’t planning on doing it at all, and now I see why. :smiling_face:

That said, Chip Zdarsky’s BATMAN: THE KNIGHT looks really cool and interesting to me. That type of Batman story I do like. And I’ll read that in a couple of weeks when it comes here.

What Ram V is planning for DETECTIVE COMICS doesn’t sound like it’s going to be that straight-ahead, or a regular type of Batman story. So that may be more to my liking. And unlike BATMAN, I’ve been planning on getting that since the day it was announced. That does have my interest.