Chip Zdarsky and Jorge Jimenez On Main Batman Title!

He wasn’t that angry about it more disappointed.

This is the video where Chuck talks about Tim coming out as Bi, starting at the 33:21 mark.

I still really hope we can focus more on Zdarsky upcoming run, rather than other stuff.

2 Likes

I’m sorry for even bringing it up at this point. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Here’s the unlettered previews, and the new beautiful Batman logo!

And the new logo has double Bat-ears! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m just a little bummed that they’re going back to the classic undies suit. I was liking that we were seeing him in the Batman Incorporated suit.

Or better yet, the Rebirth suit, which I think might be my favorite Bat-costume.

I didn’t notice that! I do think that the push for the oval was really driven by Williamson and Tynion. Zdarsky clearly doesn’t feel that way. A shame, but he’s the one driving.

I like the Rebirth suit, but more for the period, than actually liking it for itself. I think it’s a bit overdesigned, but I admit that I’m not a huge Capullo fan. Even though I’m not the biggest Jim Lee fan either, I think the Hush suit is returned to so often for a reason. (The n52 suit, though, causes me pain every time I see it.)

My undies are a key part of the costume. They stay.

2 Likes

I assume the costume always has undies. Sometimes they are on the outside. :wink:

2 Likes

They should always be on the outside.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing, but I care less than I do about those stupid lightning bolt/square lines you wore during the n52. :wink:

I agree it’s strange to have a Catwoman backup story in the main Batman title when she has her own ongoing; however, I think it may be a way to segue Selina back into the main Bat series.

4 Likes

Yeah! That’s just tradition! Haha.

It’s entirely possible that this is an early indication that the Catwoman ongoing is coming to an end and being continued as a back-up in Batman. That’s what DC did with Justice League Dark.

2 Likes

That’s definitely a possibility. I wouldn’t be completely against it. And the sales right now for the Catwoman book are not great, so that could also be an indication that you’re right.

2 Likes

I hope if that’s true they make sure to launch a new female fronted series cause we’re kinda running low on those again. My vote probably goes to Batwoman, Zatanna or Black Canary (depending on which, if any, of those latter two make it out of death of JLA).

From Tynion’s newsletters and the way Williamson is writing Batman (with Talia in the Shadow War event), it seems like DC is very serious about breaking up Batman and Catwoman. Which really annoys me, as I fell in love with the pairing in Tom King’s run.

1 Like

What are the sales for Catwoman like right now?

And @Schroeswald I’d love to see a good Batwoman series…or Black Canary, though I’m still crushed it lost in Round Robin last round. I just hope they do Kate or Dinah justice with a really solid creative team that can drive the character forward, rather than being a more niche appeal title.

2 Likes

Yeah, honestly I’m kinda baffled we’ve barely seen Kate (and even Ryan tbh since there was some setup for her a bit back) post Infinite Frontier. I would’ve thought Batwoman (also Constantine but a different story) was a slam dunk book to launch in June 2021 out of DC Pride and they just… didn’t. I’m not too surprised about Black Canary but it’s a shame. She really deserves someone writing a good long running ongoing setting her up as a solo hero instead of being Ollie’s partner or a member of the JLA/BoP (Really the entirety of the satellite League do, which yeah Red Tornado and Zatanna are the only ones without much of that but still, we need more from the Atom and Hawkman and Martian Manhunter and Firestorm)

Well, I’m obviously not an expert on the matter, but I shall put the monthly rankings of Catwoman since August 2021 here:

August 2021- Catwoman #34- ranked 110
September 2021- Catwoman #35- ranked 94
October 2021-Catwoman #36- ranked 71
November 2021- Catwoman #37 ranked 122
(Note that #35-37 were Fear State tie ins)
December 2021- Catwoman #38 ranked 151
January 2022- Catwoman #39 ranked 75
(Note that #39 had a new creative team)
February 2022- Catwoman #40 ranked 122
March 2022- Catwoman #41 ranked 86

Obviously, there are many factors that go into the rankings, and this is hardly airtight proof of the need for cancelation, but to me, these numbers don’t look very good. (Note that she is “competing” with Wonder Woman, but that is definitely not saying very much).