Chip Zdarsky and Jorge Jimenez On Main Batman Title!

So, per Zdarsky’s newsletter, he will be taking over writing Batman with issue #125, an oversized issue, launching in July, with Jorge Jimenez and Tomeu Morey on art. Very exciting news! What do people think? I personally have a sense of relief when Zdarsky writes that he has long term plans, so the sense that we don’t have anywhere we’re going for the next several years is finally replaced by someone who is at the wheel.

Please, everyone, come on in and discuss! Spoilers welcome, as long as you blur them!

14 Likes

Great luck to him in writing me.

4 Likes

Definitely looking forward to this. Between Cheer in Urban Legends and The Knight (so far), Zdarksky’s shown he has a good handle on Batman along w/ all his prior experience. Williamson’s been solid so far, but if he’s gonna keep sticking around DC, it’s probably best for him to drop a couple titles so as not to stay so stretched thin among a ton of books

7 Likes

He’s staying on Daredevil as well.

Daredevil and Batman at the same time. Who does this guy think he is, Frank Miller?

/s

9 Likes

7 Likes

Solid!!

3 Likes

I really like Zdarsky’s Daredevil so I’m hopeful for his Batman but I’m sick of “new team, new direction” stuff. Coming in with a new character that will be Batman’s Doomsday is tiring already. I can already guess the solicitation ends with “and Batman will never be the same”.
I get why writers want to tell big stories but I just want 24 months of stories that don’t raise the stakes or kill someone or fracture the family or need more than 3 issues to tell.

7 Likes

That is The Mutant Leader, the inspiration for Doomsday. Thus Superman’s Mutant Leader is Doomsday.

2 Likes

Zdarsky is one of my fave current writers, so this is very cool news.

6 Likes

@Daredevil, I think you’ll like this.

2 Likes

Sounds pretty rad, can’t say I have been reading new comics at all but this has definitely peaked my interest.

2 Likes

Love it. One of the best writers in the industry paired with one of the best artists in the industry. Can’t wait.

3 Likes

Great! Loved what I’ve read of his work on Daredevil, and he’s shown he has a good handle on Bruce between his Urban Legends and The Knight. Looking forward to seeing what he dies with the character.

I’m also glad that Jimenez is back on the book. Not to trash Molina who’s currently drawing the book, but Jimenez is on a completely different level.

6 Likes

Molina and Janin are both top tier artists, for sure, but Jorge Jimenez (and Dan Mora, who was parallel with Jimenez on Tec with Tamaki) are truly next level, taking Batman comic art to the next level. Not since Lee Weeks and Jorge Fornes during Tom King’s run have I been so blown away by a new artist on Batman visually. (New as in “new to the title” - obviously Weeks, Jimenez, and Mora all were seasoned artists long before).

4 Likes

Instead of adding another villan to Batman’s rogue’s gallery, why don’t DC give Bruce Wayne (in his public life) more villians. Wouldn’t that be nice for a change?

2 Likes

I mean, Tamaki just did that with Mr. Worth in The Neighborhood. Was definitely more interesting than Hugh Vile. :wink:

3 Likes

Bruce Wayne is just a mask. Nobody cares about him.

1 Like

Yay!

Maybe when he’s done, he can finish writing Kaptara?

1 Like

I care about Brucie…after Knightmares! :wink:

1 Like

Then you care for a cardboard cutout. It somehow fooled Two Face.

1 Like