Celebrate Supergirl's 65th Anniversary!

It’s Supergirl’s :sparkles: :tada: 65th anniversary :tada: :sparkles:! :partying_face:

Celebrate all year long right here with dedicated highlights of her career as the Maid of Might, the Girl of Steel and so much more! :0_supergirl:

There’s no better way to start the celebration than in Women’s History Month with a retrospective of Supergirl’s origins!

Celebrating Supergirl’s first appearance, we have Action Comics #252:

After you’ve read (or re-read) her Silver Age debut, check out some of the other soaring Supergirl reads available on DCUI:

If you fancy a back issue bin dig/eBay hunt for Supergirl-related books not yet available in digital, then Superman/Supergirl: Maelstrom (whose cover entirety can be seen below) is for you :index_pointing_at_the_viewer: and is most definitely worth your time, :superman:uper-fans!

Be it a read seen above and/or elsewhere, join in the celebration and wish Supergirl a :boom: :fireworks: Happy 65th Anniversary! :fireworks: :boom:

19 Likes

Happy anniversary, Melissa Benoist SUPERGIRL!

8 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth: she looks amazing for 65! lol

8 Likes

Happy Birthday, Kara!

7 Likes

supergirl looks good considering her age
good for 65 i think

6 Likes

is this celebrating all versions of her or just the mainline ?

5 Likes

All versions! :smiley: We have an assortment of “origins” listed so you can pick and choose your favorite, or start from the beginning and check all of them out. Think of it as your Supergirl charcutier board lol

6 Likes

Power Girl?

5 Likes

While not specifically the focus of this celebration, we will have to put her origins on the docket and take a deep dive through her backstory! Between the two of them, it could make for one interesting reading adventure!!

7 Likes

This is an amazing post, thank you! Happy 65th, Kara <3

7 Likes

You forgot to add Superman ‘Supergirl’ Adventures #21 where Supergirl actually face General Zod.
The comic is a great sequel to her two part episodes ‘Little Girl Lost Part 1 & 2’.
By the way Bar-el, awesome job making a Supergirl cover.
My favorite version of Supergirl is Helen Slater, she did a great job playing her, it’s a shame the movie wasn’t that good, only it was a bad writing on the villains!

6 Likes

Fantastic recommendation @Reaganfan78! We have more Supergirl celebrations up our sleeves to continue the party throughout the year. This would make a great pairing for a read and WAL :smiley:

6 Likes

It was a blast to make just for all the outfits Supergirl has had over the years! Talk about fashion icon! Personally, I love that headband era

This is a fun video exploring her many different looks and some of the reasons behind the ever changing costume. If you haven’t seen any of Casually Comics videos, I highly suggest her content as it’s fun and she likes to explore the silver age wackiness :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Love this! Happy birthday Kara Zor-El!

7 Likes

Hey, older women kick ass, man. They really do! :superman_hv_4:

You know who else kicks ass, though?

My partner-in-Supermaning, :fireworks: :fireworks: @Bar-El :fireworks: :fireworks:!

Her and I put this shindig together conceptually, but she is The One who put the super-swell touches on everything, so let’s give my fellow member of the House of El a BIG hand, folks!

TV gif. A camera zooms out on a large crowd of celebrities sitting at an award show. The front row claps, sitting down, and laughing with wide smiles on their faces. The rows behind them stand up to give a standing ovation, cheering on the person on stage with immense enthusiasm.

Check it out @ModernAgeSupermanClub, the Nolanverse Lucius Fox is giving Bar-El a well-deserved hand, too:

Celebrity gif. Morgan Freeman sits amongst a crowd at an award show. He looks up at the stage with admiration and a wide smile spread across his face. He gives big, strong claps to signify how proud he is.

Awesome and, naturally, :superman:uper job, Bar! :hugs:

You might like these then:

DC Direct (2006)

Mattel (2009)

SDCC edition of the above (sold in a four-pack with Barry, The Monitor and Psycho Pirate):

“Moving on.”

My all-time favorite Supergirl tale is The Return of the Supergirl from Krypton (or “Supergirl” for short) arc from Superman/Batman.

It further cemented my Jeph Loeb, Michael Turner and Supergirl fandoms, while also being a terrifically entertaining read that I’ve always been happy to return to these past 20 years.

Puts on the Supergirl movie soundtrack as he goes to bed while also dreaming about Popeyes-brand chicken.

IDK, I just…have a craving for Popeyes for some reason. :smirk:

7 Likes

That Superman/Batman arc was dope! I made a diorama out of that comic with my little sister for a school book report (comics counted!). I’ll have to try and unearth a photo of it! There was so much glitter :joy:

7 Likes

Lisa Kudrow Yes GIF by PBS SoCal

It was phat, fresh and fly too, homey!

I have to see this, as it sounds :superman:uper, man. :superman_hv_4:

4 Likes

Oh man, I’m such a bad fan lol. As many know Kara is my fave DC hero(ine), so much so that I named my cat (Kara Zor-Kitty or Kara for short) after her, yet I had no clue that it was her 65’th! Happy Birthday Supergirl!

6 Likes

Congratulations on expanding your devotion by picking up some new trivia on your favorite hero! :partying_face: @Vroom is the goat of anniversary tracking. If not for him, I too would miss out on some fabulous celebratory opportunities!

I would highly suggest adding the Superman Homepage’s Superman Calendar to your Google calendar. They have everything Superman on there to keep you in the know! :smiley:

5 Likes

Will always Love Supergirl

6 Likes