Body Horror in DC Comics?

When I was big into manga one of my favorite kinds of manga(or maybe ones that fascinate me) were body horror. It was common genre among people who were into obscure mangas, so I’ve been wondering what are some body horror comics are there in dc.

I guess what I’m saying is, any body horror recommendations?

5 Likes

The first thing that comes to mind is Jeff Lemire’s Animal Man run (and to a certain extent Scott Snyder’s Swamp Thing) during the New 52. Dealing with the cosmic forces of death and decay in The Rot, as well as the body twisting and contorting to connect with certain animals, there was not just a lot of body horror, but psychological horror, dealing with death and family and how they connect. It was so disturbing that the initial artist, Travel Foreman, had to leave the book because he recently had a death in the family and it was disturbing him too much.

7 Likes

Now that’s what I’m talking about, anything else on this level?

4 Likes

Every Swamp Thing series dabbles in body horror to some degree. I’d check 'em all out!

9 Likes

I’ve been thinking about checking out alan moore’s swamp thing run so I might get to it

4 Likes

(Also, if you don’t mind, I’d put a spoiler blur on that first image, if I were you. We have kids on these boards.)

2 Likes

How do i do that?

3 Likes

Put the tags [spoiler] and [/spoiler ] (minus the space) on either end of it.

3 Likes

lol I just did it, but thank you sir/ma’am also I’m sorry, I didn’t think about that.

2 Likes

Not a bad point. I decided to do the same with my image, even though it’s on the DCU site, just in case.

2 Likes

Almost got it! Try putting the slash inside the brackets.

1 Like

Well, the difference, as elucidated once to me by the mods, is that every free feature of the site is considered suitable for ages 14 and up, and everything behind the paywall- such as the videos and comics- is considered suitable for 18 and up.

2 Likes

did it work? Because on my side it’s still clear.

2 Likes

My club recently looked at a Nightwing story that dabbled in body horror, but I’m assuming that you want GOOD stories, not hilariously bad ones. Still, here’s the link:

2 Likes

Well I’m willing to take anything.

2 Likes

It’s blurred out now. :slight_smile:

@AlexanderKnox – I thought of mentioning that too, but that’s less body horror and more body confusion. :laughing:

3 Likes

Good. This has been more trouble than it’s worth. (Not angry at you)

2 Likes

Well, as Jay and Question mentioned, you really should check out Swamp Thing.

Alan Moore takes over the second series with issue #20, and his first proper arc begins in the next issue. That arc is collected on DC Universe right here:

https://www.dcuniverse.com/collections/story-sagaswampthing
https://www.dcuniverse.com/collections/story-sagaswampthing-loveanddeath

3 Likes

Is it on the same level as Junji ito’s work?

1 Like

The 1970s comics are fairly tame, since they had to deal with the Comics Code Authority. The Alan Moore run eventually abandoned the code and paved the way for the Vertigo imprint, so it delivers more horrific imagery. Later creative teams would push it even further. Here’s a cover that I always think of when the Swamp Thing comics come to mind:

Swamp Thing 137

That’s an image of Swamp Thing’s main recurring antagonist, Anton Arcane.

3 Likes