Birds of Prey | Book Club | Black Canary & Zatanna: Bloodspell

It’s October and that can mean only one thing: :jack_o_lantern: Trick Dark Magic or treat?

:eyes: How about BOTH? :magic_wand: Bloodspell is our main event, but we’ve also got a grab bag for you this month—you know the drill: Read one, read them all, the choice is yours!

:books: This activity will be running ALL month long!

Reading begins: Right now!

Discussion begins: As soon as you‘re ready! Did you enjoy it? Have you read any of them before? What did you think of the dialogue, plot or artwork? Anything at all about the reading you’d like to discuss—drop your thoughts below when you’re ready. :purple_heart: See ya soon!

:00_birds_of_prey: You can join or learn more about Birds of Prey HERE.

10 Likes

Bloodspell is such a great little series! The sequel, in my mind and heart, to Dini’s really fun and charming Zatanna run that ended with the n52. And Quinones’ art is GORGEOUS. I wouldn’t personally say it’s earth shattering for either Dinah or Zatanna, but it’s a heroic, well crafted adventure that sticks in the memory as a very good time. So I say: may it well be remembered!

6 Likes

I am excited to dig into these. I haven’t read them before. I will post my thoughts when I can. :grinning:

6 Likes

Just gonna leave this lil thing I found…

(Cc: @capo-mage & @D4RK5TARZ :purple_heart:)

11 Likes

It’s been a few years since I read Bloodspell but it remains one of my favorite graphic novels period. Might have to read it again.

8 Likes

It’s been a while, but Bloodspell was a fun read. The plot is light and even convoluted, but it’s held together by two incredibly strong characters. The only negative thing - there isn’t more to read once you’re done. This is a duo I’d follow.

10 Likes

-The first issue of the new Birds of Prey book is really just to set-up and get the team together, which isn’t bad just maybe a little lackluster. I do like the art, reminds me of 80s comics. I feel like I’m missing something in maybe a Green Arrow book regarding the kidnapping of Sin, but I’m sure they will fill us in.
-I really dug the Zatanna special. Makes me wish modern comics focus more on Z’s mom and her Magi heritage. Also, I want that OG costume back.
-Highly enjoyed watching Z kick a$$ with Cliff

7 Likes

Open,….save to photos….done & ty @Razzzcat !!! I have a similar looking one, with HQ, Ivy, & CW!??!

Ty Razzz have a great Halloween if I don’t catch ub4 that…

7 Likes

@capo-mage Thanks buddy! :hugs: (Sorry I’m just seeing this btw) Anyway! When I posted that, I totally forgot another thing I found:

Oh and

8 Likes

Read this a bit back, forgot to share my thoughts! :sweat_smile:

Anyway, it’s a really fun book. In some ways it could just be looked at as a somewhat standard superhero action story who’s beats you can tell a mile away, but Dini still executes those beats very well. But what’s more important is the art by Joe Quinones – he does all the action well, but what’s perhaps more important is the acting he puts in these characters. Sometimes, these kinds of comics are so focused on getting the action or cheesecake aspects that the faces can look expresionless and dead, but not here – Dinah and Zee are so expressive in their faces and body language that it takes what can be a standard story by someone else and makes it sing.

2 Likes

Some of my favorite panels:

6 Likes

Man!!! Am I happy u tagged me here?!!? Yes I am!! Added some more amazing Zatanna’s to my arsenal between u & @Jay_Kay ’s selections. Ty @Razzzcat & @Jay_Kay , even tho it was unplanned lol…

4 Likes