Batman: Shadow War Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

looks up from reading Shadow War Alpha to post the following

Darn good series, and a highlight of The New Age of Heroes.

resumes reading Shadow War Alpha

4 Likes

robin (current series) issue 10 reveals Ra’s created the league of assassins and shadows here the page:

1 Like

Gotham city villains or shadow wars apha revealed Talia is the leader. I don’t remember which.

2 Likes

We already knew that from Tynion’s Tec run, though.

3 Likes

Tec run??? That she lead the league of shadows?

1 Like

No, that Ra’s created the Shadows after he created the Assassins.

1 Like

I have no idea what this is (blushing emoji)

1 Like

Detective “Tec” Comics - #934-981 (the specific arc is League of Shadows, which started in #950).

1 Like

ah that makes sense. I rarely shorten anything in that manner so I think of detective comics as detective comics and aside from issues 1000 and 1027, I did not really start it until issue 1033. so I need to get caught up on that run. my working understanding is the demon’s shadows are the league of shadows which Talia established she is head of in shadow war Alpha.

2 Likes

Here’s a handy link to the entire run on DCUI:

1 Like

Well, lots of thoughts here! First, Tynion’s Tec run is one of my favorite runs of all time - it’s got flaws, of course, but it’s just really fun. I hope you give it a chance on here! Second, my understanding of the situation is that Tynion choose to create the League of Shadows as a thing in the comics, using the name from the Dark Knight series of films, but making it a splinter or spin off faction of the League of Assassins, led by Lady Shiva, for reasons of her own (Ra’s, of course, has his own things to say…but can you trust him? :slight_smile: ). Third - partly in the Silencer series, also in the Checkmate series by Bendis, Talia has been making a LOT of moves to gain and solidify power against all competitors, including her father. This might also include taking over the Shadows after what happened in Tynion’s run.

2 Likes

there is a second source detective comics issue 1034 page 23 Page 24 states the Al Ghuls lost control of the league of shadows. so they were at one point part of Ra’s empire. it’s looking like Talia leads them now on page shadow war alpha 35.

1 Like

From what I understand, Tynion also had a big overarching Ra’s story that he’s been seeding since his very first solo writing assignment in Red Hood & The Outlaws that never got to be fully emplimented.

2 Likes

Yes, and I think it was entwined with a Cass and Shiva story, too.

2 Likes

I finally got around to reading Batman #122 and then this thread and yeahhh… I’m not a Talia/Bruce fan. I’m not looking forward to this subplot. Though the rest of it looks awesome.

There was some talk of Silencer in here, I loved her series. I hope we see her here. She is a cool character with a fun concept. I wish her series had lasted longer.

Back to Shadow War. I’m liking the mystery so far. For some reason, I believe that Slade didn’t kill Ra’s but I also believe that it wasn’t Talia. It’s too obvious for both of them.

My thought process right now is that Ra’s did it. With all the Respawn info coming out, we know he has access to clone tech, maybe he cloned himself and sent a clone to get ‘arrested’ and ‘killed’. Or maybe it’s a completely new player that we will meet along the way. :woman_shrugging:

I am very much looking forward to the Rose and Damian team-up. That should be a ton of fun. And the eventual realization that Slade didn’t do it (theroretically), plus Damian finding out about Respawn. I can’t wait.

I think that’s all the thoughts I have right now. But this is a fun crossover, it doesn’t seem too big like other ones. I’m liking it so far.

3 Likes

Huh, I could see that. Like Ra’s has cloned himself into a younger, more powerful body and put his old mind into it, negating the dying problems he was having in Robin. The only downside I can see is why would he abandon his own order while making them kill the competition? Surely he could have just put his brain in a cloned body and his Assassins wouldn’t balk, right? What’s the purpose of all the subterfuge?

2 Likes

Maybe he is trying to see how loyal everyone truly is? Are they doing this in his name? Or just to grab more power in his absence? Or maybe he and Talia are working together and this is a subterfuge to take out Deathstroke because he is a threat? I don’t know, I didn’t think this out fully. But I’m glad someone else thinks it is at least almost plausible. :laughing:

Edit: I forgot about Ra’s’ mom! I’m sure she is involved somehow. Yeah. I’ll add this into my theory at some point. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I think if if Talia was involved with Ra’s doing some subterfuge, they wouldn’t be playing her as a love interest for a while. Whatever happens, it’s going to involve stuff that helps redeem Talia as a character enough that she fits better in the “bad girl with a heart of gold” that Bruce is drawn to like a moth to a flame.

2 Likes

New chapters are out…and I’m glad Bruce pushed Talia away…but Bruce’s reaction to Respawn:

OMG bruce let Damian drive![/spoiler] Talia…[spoiler]Talia is manipulating things.

I love the different artwork between the series.

3 Likes

“What. Death. Tournament?” Might go down as the funniest thing Batman has ever said for me. Raptor’s response was excellent as well.

I’m glad they didn’t draw out the Respawn reveal for Damian. I’m glad to get it out of the way. Damian being confused then happy for another brother, then immediately fighting each other was perfect.

Honestly, Team Batman and Team Deathstroke need to work together at this point but it’s gonna take them much longer to figure that out. I’m still not sure who is pulling the strings. But I am still liking the crossover.

And Clownhunter is back! I forgot he was with Ghosthunter but I’m excited to see him!

2 Likes