Batman: Shadow War Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

So that whole kiss thing was just for a dramatic cliffhanger? Okay, cool, I guess. Seriously though, I am curious to see just what her role is in this event and what she’ll be up to in the future, because we’re supposed to see more of her within Detective Comics, both in Tamaki’s and apparently in Ram V’s upcoming run.

So…that’s what Respawn is? …Seriously? That…no, that’s just dumb. Not a fan.

4 Likes

Why not a fan of Respawn’s reveal?

2 Likes

Personally, I think Talia may have planted a tracker in Bruce.
I am personally thinking to respawn may be from an alternate universe. His answers are too vague in my mind.

2 Likes

I’m assuming they wanted a character to bridge the gap between the Deathstroke and Batman families. And, honestly, Ra’s cloning someone from all of their DNA’s, that they don’t know about, and experimenting on them is… par for the course for both families. :sweat:

I haven’t read the rest of Deathstroke Inc. and I assume Respawn is explained more there but I am willing to give him a chance. But I’m also a Damian fan and fascinated by this dynamic now. But, also worried because Slade doesn’t have a great track record with his children…

2 Likes

I dunno, the whole “genetically altered clone” just doesn’t feel right to me, just…too much. Someone else said that it helps bridge the Bat-Family and the Wilsons, but they’re already pretty connected well enough as it is, perhaps too much so.

I dunno, he’s still fairly new, there’s a chance he can grow on me.

I feel sorry for the poor soul who asks how Talia was able to get a tracker down Bruce’s throat. :rofl:

To be fair, at least he treats his blood children better than the children he’s used to get the Titans. And by “children” I mean Terra.

3 Likes

My understanding of Respawn is he is Damián’s half brother and the genetic son of Slade and Talia made the hard way instead of the fun way.

I imagine what Catwoman will do to Talia for taking advantage of her bats depression to plant a tracker in him.

1 Like

…I’m just gonna bite my tongue and let this one slide. :rofl:

2 Likes

:man_shrugging: All I can say is it was the easiest way to describe it in a family-friendly manner.

1 Like

I will say, Damian, Slade and Batman’s reactions to Respawn were pretty tame. I can’t wait to see what happens when Talia finds out that her father cloned her without her knowledge. It might be a good thing Ra’s is already dead.

Also, does Respawn have an actual name? I haven’t been reading Deathstroke Inc, I know it was never mentioned in Robin.

1 Like

For us, maybe, but these guys do live in the DCU where stuff like harvesting DNA for test tube babies is rather tame. Like if Batman tried to complain about this to Superman he’d be like, “Yeah, I’ve been there, pal.”

4 Likes

I mean…Damian has dozens and dozens of clones, though most are dead at this point…though again, I don’t think the final page of Batman Inc by Morrison was ever actually dealt with, with the hundreds of Damian clones growing. One or two more doesn’t seem wrong, though I wasn’t the biggest fan of the issue where Respawn revealed his background - it felt WAY too grimdark edgy.

As for Slade treating his kids better…well…maybe…the way he treated the Dark Titans in Priest’s run was pretty comparable to how he treated Rose and Joseph. Which is to say…pretty horribly.

3 Likes

I believe this was acknowledged in Robin: Son of Batman. Robin freed them all and left them to live out their lives on an island. I believe they sacrificed themselves to stop a Big Bad and save Damian’s life. Don’t remember which one though.

1 Like

I thought that was a different set of clones, ones who were already “awakened” before Damian’s death.

2 Likes

Oh, maybe I am mis-remembering then.

1 Like

Well, knowing for sure would require me to do a reread of Morrison’s run, and I’m just not into it, so I could very well be wrong.

2 Likes

Actually, did a quick wiki walk, and I think you’re right. Apparently, those Damian clones were the same ones seen at the end of Morrison’s Batman Inc, birthed by Ra’s in his destruction/vengeance against Batman after Damian’s death, and then given the island by Damian. Tomasi’s Batman and Robin I have read, but like Morrison’s Batman, it’s been a long time, and (hot take) I didn’t like it very much (outside of Gleason’s fantastic art), so it didn’t stick too much in my memory outside of a few moments that I really hated.

3 Likes

Not at this time.

Crazy theory: It would be fun if Respawn is actually Earth 11’s Rose Willson.

2 Likes

Talia’s heart of gold is glinted stone.

3 Likes

This week we had 2 issues drop for Shadow War!!!

Deathstroke Inc, at this point might as well just be called Deathstroke, but was a fun story. There are some father/son bonding, card games, and explosions.

Robin seemed to move the story a little more forward as Batman is now in the loop on who didn’t kill Ra’s. I believe this is my first Robin comic, unless there was one in Fear State that I forgot about. It was enjoyable but I am not sure if I am going to be reading it on a regular basis, which is par for the course of all Robin comics.

DC has been getting these weird crossover stories right in 2022. First, there was War For Earth-3 and that was a lot of fun. That is probably my favorite crossover for the year, but this one is also knocking it out of the park.

2 Likes

I enjoyed the two issues that dropped this week, though I’m not 100% sure where the story is going. Angel Breaker continues to not wear shirts and kill people (I hope her origin is a bit more interesting in the War Zone anthology). I did feel that Respawn revealing the truth and then trying to kill Damian was a bit inconsistent in motivation, but seeing Batman and Robin working together again was quite fun.

I am curious why you’re not usually on board with Robin comics, though! :slight_smile:

3 Likes