Ask Me Anything About Captain Marvel!

Hello @CaptainMarvelology, it’s your friendly neighborhood Reaganfan78, I was just wondering, when did Captain Marvel first meet Superman and what was their first meet was like? And also has he ever met Batman (Not counting Justice League Unlimited)? Thankyou. :grinning:

:00_shazam:

4 Likes

Aside: In the very first Captain Marvel, Jr. story I ever read, Sivana, Jr. bought a paper off of Freddy with a coin that contained a post-hypnotic suggestion that made him unable to say (or even think of the words) “Captain Marvel.” Freddy saved the day when he realized that the suggestion only made him unable to say “Captain Marvel,” and not “Captain Marvel, Jr.”

Comics, kids!

(I just looked it up. It was “The Coin-Operated Caper” from SHAZAM! (vol. 1) #18. And the synopsis I gave doesn’t begin to do it justice.)

6 Likes

Unofficially, they first met on the cover of Shazam! #1.

Officially, the first time they met each other was Justice League of America #137:

This meeting was not of a cordial nature as Superman was bloodlusted by Red K, and Captain Marvel had to use his magic lightning to get Superman to snap out of it. We never see them interact with each other, so the meet was uneventful and not notable outside of it being the first time they met.

And yes, Captain Marvel has met Batman and has had crossovers.

4 Likes

Who would you say is Captain Marvels top ten villains?

4 Likes

Is Mr. Banjo’s banjo special?

2 Likes
  1. Dr. Sivana
  2. Mr. Mind (+Invincible Man)
  3. Mr. Atom
  4. King Kull
  5. Black Adam

1. Ibac
  2. Captain Nazi
  3. Niatpac Levram
  4. Zazzo
  5. Mr. Banjo
6 Likes

No, Mr. Banjo was a talented musician and spy who used his banjo to send secret codes over the radio to Nazi’s, but there isn’t anything special about the banjo itself.

4 Likes

I am…Surprised I only recognize half of these villains. :o

4 Likes

The Robot Chicken Special was apparently accurate.

4 Likes

Hello @CaptainMarvelology,
Hope you’re doing well, as of this writing I’m so excited to see the new Elvis movie on HBO Max, it’ll be the first time I ever see the movie.
In the movie we can see he was a huge fan of Captain Marvel Jr.
My question is whether when Elvis was dead or alive at the time, had he ever made a cameo in the comic to meet his favorite hero?
Wonder if Captain Marvel Jr. was ever a fan of his music. :slightly_smiling_face:
Thankyou so much for your time.

5 Likes

No, Captain Marvel Jr. has never met Elvis in a comic book story.

I can’t speak to Captain Marvel Jr. being a fan of Elvis’ music, but the post-Crisis version of the character does at least regard Elvis as something of a philosopher.
Elvis Presley - Philosopher

7 Likes

In Shazam form does Billy need to eat?

4 Likes

The only version for which the answer to this is known is the pre-Crisis version, and he does not need to eat.

5 Likes

Thanks.

3 Likes

What is established about the Lieutenant Marvels? Were they ever explored much?

4 Likes

You think Billy Batson should become the wizard like he was in Trials of Shazam?

3 Likes

I think I read that the transformations in some versions represented the ideal of each hero such that Billy as Shazam/Captain Marvel resembled his father and Freddie his former star athlete self. Did this theme work with Mary? Was she just happy as herself, or did she resemble her mother or someone else in her Mary Marvel form?

3 Likes

Not much is established about them. They were intended to be a market test for expanding the Captain Marvel brand beyond just the original Billy Batson and Captain Marvel.

When Fawcett knew they had commercial viability with Captain Marvel Jr. and Mary Marvel, the Lieutenant Marvels were relegated to the sideline and were thusly never developed.

6 Likes

Only in very temporary situations.

Billy Batson is meant to be THE champion and the main character of the Captain Marvel mythos. He is not meant to be an observer on the sideline.

5 Likes

Did you find this to be worth reading?

3 Likes