Ask Me Anything About Captain Marvel!

I’ve noticed that there a lot more covers of Captain Marvel Jr stories where he’s fighting or in an action scene than Captain Marvel’s. Was Freddy Freeman a more violent superhero than Billy? What were the main differences between their stories?

7 Likes

Who was Freckles Marvel?

1 Like

Do you know very much about the Captain Marvel radio show of the Forties? All I have ever been able to find out is that Burt Boyar (who played Archie Andrews on the Archie radio show) was the voice of Billy Batson.

I remember a gimmick of the Fawcett Captain Marvel stories was to have him tour the country, with adventures in different cities (“Captain Marvel and the Minneapolis Mystery!”). How many cities did he visit, and for how long did they run with the concept?

2 Likes

C.C. Beck

Mac Raboy

Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 15-45-46 mac raboy captain marvel jr - Google Search

2 Likes

Thank you!

No, that was a reflection of Captain Marvel Jr.'s artist’s choices. That’s just what he gravitated towards.

However, Freddy’s stories were more serious than Billy’s. He was Dickensian while Billy was Rockwellian.

4 Likes

There isn’t much information, to be honest. Most of the information available is in the Fawcett Companion in a single article dedicated to the subject.

2 Likes

And Mary?

2 Likes

That’s a subject worth researching!

Off the top of my head, I’d guess it was closer to six stories (I may be way off) that followed this template. I definitely recall one where Captain Marvel went to cities like Baltimore, so if I were to research this, I know where to start.

5 Likes

Freckles Marvel is Mary “Freckles” Dudley, Uncle Dudley’s niece. Like Uncle Dudley, she has no powers and pretends to change into a Marvel when she says, “Shazam!”

3 Likes

Who are all these guys? I mean, I know who the one in front is, but what about the other three?

2 Likes

Those are the Lieutenant Marvels, each a different Billy Batson from different parts of the country, Tall Billy, Fat Billy, and Hill Billy.

3 Likes