Ask Me Anything About Captain Marvel!

I’ve noticed that there a lot more covers of Captain Marvel Jr stories where he’s fighting or in an action scene than Captain Marvel’s. Was Freddy Freeman a more violent superhero than Billy? What were the main differences between their stories?

8 Likes

Who was Freckles Marvel?

3 Likes

Do you know very much about the Captain Marvel radio show of the Forties? All I have ever been able to find out is that Burt Boyar (who played Archie Andrews on the Archie radio show) was the voice of Billy Batson.

2 Likes

I remember a gimmick of the Fawcett Captain Marvel stories was to have him tour the country, with adventures in different cities (“Captain Marvel and the Minneapolis Mystery!”). How many cities did he visit, and for how long did they run with the concept?

4 Likes

C.C. Beck

Mac Raboy

Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 15-45-46 mac raboy captain marvel jr - Google Search

5 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

No, that was a reflection of Captain Marvel Jr.'s artist’s choices. That’s just what he gravitated towards.

However, Freddy’s stories were more serious than Billy’s. He was Dickensian while Billy was Rockwellian.

7 Likes

There isn’t much information, to be honest. Most of the information available is in the Fawcett Companion in a single article dedicated to the subject.

5 Likes

And Mary?

4 Likes

That’s a subject worth researching!

Off the top of my head, I’d guess it was closer to six stories (I may be way off) that followed this template. I definitely recall one where Captain Marvel went to cities like Baltimore, so if I were to research this, I know where to start.

8 Likes

Freckles Marvel is Mary “Freckles” Dudley, Uncle Dudley’s niece. Like Uncle Dudley, she has no powers and pretends to change into a Marvel when she says, “Shazam!”

6 Likes

Who are all these guys? I mean, I know who the one in front is, but what about the other three?

5 Likes

Those are the Lieutenant Marvels, each a different Billy Batson from different parts of the country, Tall Billy, Fat Billy, and Hill Billy.

6 Likes

Imagine growing up with a name, and then meeting three guys with the exact same moniker, and having to call one of them the “real” name-haver.

5 Likes

Why hasn’t Captain Marvel(jerk) changed Captain Marvel Jr’s magic word so he can tell people his name?

5 Likes

I know that Doctor Sivana has multiple children and at least two women were involved, but I know nothing about the mothers themselves. Who are they and whats their whole deal?

6 Likes

Only the post-Crisis version of Captain Marvel had the ability to change the magic word, but that was when he was the keeper of the Rock of Eternity following the wizard Shazam’s death.

For the other versions, they do not have the ability to change Captain Marvel Jr.'s magic word.

However… one possibility to deal with that problem, so to speak, is for Jr. to change his name.

5 Likes

Hmmm, are you serious?

-ojvxzq

4 Likes

The only main version of Dr. Sivana for whom we know the identity of his wife is the post-Crisis version.

We meet her in Power of Shazam! #27, and her name is Venus (which, interestingly enough, is the planet that his predecessor, pre-Crisis Dr. Sivana raised Magnificus and Beautia Sivana).

That said, Venus is not just Magnificus’ and Beautia’s mother, but also Thaddeus’ and Georgia’s, the latter two of which we find out in 52 #26:

As for what’s known about Venus… we know very little about her, except that she’s a very attractive woman and that there are two conflicting stories where the reason she divorced Dr. Sivana.

The first, as you can see above, was because Dr. Sivana cheated on her with another woman and it happened well before Captain Marvel existed, possibly before Billy was born.

The second was because of his obsession with Captain Marvel. This might have been a retcon of the story in Power of Shazam! #27. However… at the sametime, the story in Power of Shazam! #27 took place in an alternate timeline, so it may not have happened that way at all. Take a look:

7 Likes

Oh wow! Thank you very much for answering that question

4 Likes