Ask Me Anything About Captain Marvel!

What you’re referring to are the explanations given for both post-Crisis Billy Batson and Mary Marvel possessing an adult form when they transform.

I can’t recall the specific issue off of the top of my head, but I recall in Power of Shazam! that the reason Mary had an adult form was because she most admired her mother the same way Billy did with his dad.

5 Likes

Sorry, but that link isn’t working for me.

4 Likes

@CaptainMarvelology does that work now?

3 Likes

Is the below naming convention exclusive to Young Justice, or was there an example of it elsewhere?

Captain Marvel - Billy
Lieutenant Marvel - Freddy
Sergeant Marvel - Mary

Assuming not, how would you like to see this theme extended to other Shazam Family members?

5 Likes

Yes, and that is my favorite Captain Marvel story of all time. Pure Fawcett-like fun, but modernized.

4 Likes

In terms of specifics, that’s the only example exactly like that.

There are similar precedents, however. For example, during the Ordway Power of Shazam! era, Mary Marvel didn’t go by “Mary Marvel,” but by “Captain Marvel.”

As for seeing this naming convention utilized elsewhere, I don’t see the necessity for it. “Mary Marvel” and “Captain Marvel Jr.” works just fine.

6 Likes

What would you say is Captain Marvel’s greatest weakness?

Signed,

T. Anavis

8 Likes

Kingdom Come showed that Billy does age, but when?

5 Likes

Physically, outside of his Captain Marvel form, he’s quite vulnerable as Billy Batson. As Captain Marvel, there was a time where he was as vulnerable to magical attacks as anyone else.

In terms of intangibles, he’s been quick to lose his temper or get angry, so it’s something that can be used against him.

5 Likes

I’m not sure what you are asking, but Billy is always aging when he is in his mortal form, no matter the version. In Kingdom Come, which was basically an alternate version of the character, we saw a Billy who had grown to adulthood.

5 Likes

What is the rock of finality?

4 Likes

Thunderworld Adventures truly is a spectacular story, but I’m not sure I would recommend it for new readers. Similarly to All Star Superman, a new reader to Billy can enjoy it on it’s own merits, but it has flavors and nuances you will pick up when you re-read it after learning more and reading more Captain Marvel. All the Convergence stories rely on some pre-knowledge but that particular two-parter features some spectacular art, including one of my personal favorites:

Even though I am not a fan of Jeff Smith being confused about the powers and role of the US Attorney General, his Monster Society of Evil mini-series is one I would readily recommend to new readers.The Magic of Shazam, since it’s aimed for the younger set, is also a good choice.

3 Likes

Like its name would indicate, it’s simply a place that’s the opposite of the Rock of Eternity.

It’s apparently a place where its own mirror opposite of the wizard Shazam resides and seemingly seeks his own champion(s) of evil, as the statues of the Seven Sacred Virtues Of Man would indicate.

5 Likes

Thanks.

4 Likes

You’re welcome!

5 Likes

When has the word “Shazam” required intent to transform to work, and when has it not? I know it’s gone back and forth.

4 Likes

The whole saying it with the intention to transform began with Curse of Shazam!

There, the wizard Shazam (before being revealed to be the aborigine god, Mamaragan) states plainly that it has to be said with purpose, belief, and good intentions.

This was likely Geoff Johns’ way of answering the question of, “How does he introduce himself if he can’t say his name?”

Since then, for that version only, as you correctly state, it’s gone back and forth. Well… more accurately – and ironically – it’s gone predominantly, if not exclusively back and forth in Johns’ Shazam! series.

In Shazam! #1, where Billy and his foster siblings are trying to come up with codenames, Billy outright says that he wants a name that he can say.

Then Johns flips it around and lo and behold, Earth-0 Shazam is able to say his name (Shazam! #9).

Another writer, Jeff Loveness specifically, made it such that he can say his name, but he has to watch how hard he says it (Shazam! #15).

5 Likes

You are bringing back good times reading the 2018 series :partying_face:

2 Likes

Which comic is this panel originally from?

5 Likes

Shazam! #17

6 Likes