Ask Me Anything About Captain Marvel!

I’m eager to see the answer to this! Captain Marvel’s one character I really like but haven’t read much of.

5 Likes

There was a crossover called War of the Gods, where the Roman pantheon fought the Greek, and Billy, who drew power from both sides, was right in the middle of it. And since the gods were involved, so was Wonder Woman.

WarOfTheGods

8 Likes

I recall War of the Gods, but there wasn’t a lot of the direct association I was asking about there.

6 Likes

I don’t really make my way over to DC Infinite much, but I always recommend these as a starting point. I imagine you’ll be able to find most of them over on DC Infinite:

6 Likes

Not really.

However, if we’re talking in the strictest sense of “interaction,” there is the War of the Gods storyline where both Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman fight each other on behalf of their theological patrons.

But otherwise, no.

5 Likes

Do you have any recommendations for fun, one-off Mary Marvel stories?

6 Likes

The vast majority of pre-Crisis stories that featured Mary Marvel outside of the her Marvel Family stories are one-off stories.

That said, I do have some recommendations:

• Captain Marvel Adventures #18 and #19. These are her origins and her “training” stories, respectively.

Those are stories that I consider to be important for every fan of Mary Marvel to read.

Outside of those, I do have some favorites:

• Mary Marvel #8 - It has Mary Marvel’s crossover team-up adventure with Bulletgirl, and it’s the first time two superheroines teamed up in comic book history.

Mary Marvel and Bulletgirl Team-UP - A

• Mary Marvel #3, where Mary Marvel meets the Mary Marvel of ancient Egypt!

Mary Marvel of Ancient Egypt - Cover

8 Likes

What’s the best resource for reading Golden Age Captain Marvel stories? Is it true that they’re available free and legally under public domain?

7 Likes

Yes, you can read them either at Comic Book Plus or Digital Comic Museum

Unfortunately, at one point they had all of the Fawcett issues, but WB lawyers came after them and said that not all of the original Fawcett issues are in the public domain and that those that weren’t, the copyright belonged to DC, something I personally dispute. As a result both of those sites had to take down a considerable number of Fawcett Captain Marvel material.

8 Likes

Why did they recast Jackson Bostwick as Captain Marvel in season three of 1970s Shazam! TV show? Also, what abilities did Shazam! gain when he became the god of gods in Darkseid War?

5 Likes

If I recall correctly, Bostwick was injured. He had to take time off and the producers or higher ups thought he was holding out for more money so they fired him.

God of Gods Shazam had:

7 Likes

Superman has Lex Luthor, Batman has The Joker, who do you consider Captain Marvel greatest Arch Enemy, Black Adam, Mr. Mind or Dr. Savanna? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Dr. Sivana, of course.

8 Likes

Early issues of Action Comics prior to America’s involvement in World War II often dealt with trenchant social issues such as gun violence, reckless driving, worker’s rights, and profit-motivated war. Did Captain Marvel ever have any similarly socially conscious stories?

3 Likes

Interesting, I didn’t know that, thankyou @CaptainMarvelology. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It always bugged me that he took romantic advice from Solomon. Anybody who read the Bible knows that is a terrible idea, and in “Black Vengeance” Mary brought up that Solomon does not know everything.

That leads to my question- does Billy ever call out Solomon for all his questionable decisions like his 700 wives and 200 concubines?

4 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

Some, but not very many, and most of them were of him fighting against Nazi’s.

Some of the early adventures had Captain Marvel break up a gang of children that were hypnotized, and though the story itself didn’t exactly speak against it, but one could argue that it was a statement against child labor.

There are others that are outright statements, like Captain Marvel speaking out prejudice and discrimination (Captain Marvel Adventures #90):

6 Likes

Solomon in Captain Marvel’s stories is not the Solomon from the bible.

That said, no, Captain Marvel, in any version of the character, has not called out Solomon for having hundreds of wives and concubines.

5 Likes

You’re welcome!

4 Likes