Would you pay double to have access to ALL comics?

Hahaha no, I’m too poor for that :joy::joy:

Duh!!! :slight_smile:

Tell ya what send me 10 bucks a month and I’ll give ya a rundown on all major characters and plot points/runs. Dc/ Marvel/ image/ various imprints or whatever. Just gimme a sec to pull the ol Wikipedia up…

1 Like

The only way that would happen is if the memberahip increases drastically. I can see a regular and a premium teir .

I am actually pretty content with the service. I don’t seem to think I’m entitled to an entire backlog of DC and I never expected this to be that. I think it’s funny considering the fact we pay less then a trade a month people seem to think this is what they deserve. This has always been pushed as a video service with a bonus of curated comics that will rotate. It’s meant to be a taste maker with some full runs to get people introduced and hopefully buying books.

2 Likes

Regular and premium, I like that concept for DCU, and here’s why:

Was just reflecting with my wife, she hasn’t seen a new Marvel (or Valiant) comic in the house in years. Instead of easily forking over $70 to $100 a month on just Marvel, now I plunk down $70 a year for Marvel Unlimited, and look forward to, what are to me, new comics every Monday.

The $70 a year or so for Comixology Unlimited replaces the $40 or so a month I was spending on Valiant, IDW, Boom and Dynamite a month.

So, yup, even with DC on CU now, I plan to sign the dotted line if DCU offers a modest sum per year for a MU delayed all current monthly plan.

1 Like

If other publishers can do a full library unlimited service with new issues delayed however many months, then DC can do, they’re not any different. Plus, not every comic reader will sign up for DCU and not everyone who signs up will pay forever. There are still plenty of people who buy trades and hardcovers. There are still people, lots of people, myself included, who buy Blu-rays and DVDs even though we all have numerous streaming services. Having access to a streaming services and owning a piece of media (movie, music album, comic book), are two completely different things. With a subscription you’re effectively renting access which you can stop any time and lose it, or it can go away and you lose it. Owning a thing is forever. So no, I don’t think DCU offering truly unlimited comics, including Vertigo, Young Animal, etc. will hurt sales very much. Marvel is still in business last I heard. And anyway, all media is going digital sooner or later. Netflix is making hundreds of shows and movies but they’re not charging you to watch each thing, just your monthly subscription.

4 Likes

I would pay more for more access to comic books. I really enjoy the MU’s 6 month delay period but has all comics that pass thendelay period and its a similar price to DCU’s subscription.

Overall I am happy with the service. I do not want to pay $150 when I’m happy with what I’m getting for $75.

This is a streaming service with benefits. It wasn’t initially designed to be comic subscription service like Marvel Unlimited. I don’t have time to read all the comics here as it is.

3 Likes

If access to the complete DC Library - 1 year back excluded, right , was offered I would make decisions about other streaming and digital reading services I use and sign the DC Library dotted line.

I agree with Jay ( @JLSMWW )above …
but that’s the point on why I want more selection …I don’t have a lot of time for reading comics, I’m salaried management 50 plus hours a week, so I want what time I have available to be dedicated to reading the best digital out there for the time I have.

The time issue is also why I greatly value Matt and Jay’s DCU Book Club; every Sunday night, I dedicate whatever it is an hour or so just reading what they curate for us ( also why I take advantage of the Friday night 8 p.m. watch alongs here).

My position toward paying a monthly fee in addition to our fee for DC Universe has changed somewhat, due to recently signing up for Comixology Unlimited, at an additional 5.99 a month.

First I buy many, but not all of the DC comics each week. I consider this the major part of my hobby, and as a way to help keep DC, which I loved as a child, and which still produces many quality comics, in business.

My monthly Comixology fee includes a 15% cut for most of the current comics, and thus, my monthly current comics book costs have been reduced by more than the monthly fee. This is my major comic book cost.

In the past, when DC Universe Comics Library was not as good as now, and comics were being rotated out at an alarming rate, I added all the DC Graphic Novel trades, that were recommended by remembers and elsewhere, to what I had already. This was a couple of hundred dollars, but it is now a sunk cost, which also reduced the stress of DC Universe demanding I read these books now, no matter what else I was doing, or they would be gone.

Now I can use the ‘free’ libraries of both services, and enjoy old favorites, like all four volumes of the weekly 52 series, as well as explore books I have never read, like ‘New Gods’ here.

All at less than paying double.

If a book is mentioned here, or elsewhere, I can take the 15% reduction or pay 1.99 an issue or wait for a sale at Comixology. There is more than enough to read, by paying for the two services. So I can wait for a sale at Comixology, which occur frequently. Last week, I got the Shazam Trades and three Silver Age Flash trades, at 5.00. the price normally was around 15.00

1 Like

Oh for sure I have comixology unlimited as well, though it was for Valiant, IDW, Boom, Oni Unlimited until now .

What I’ve discovered after several years of Marvel Unlimited, there’s times during the year I’ll want to reference a particular issue or 2 due to a storyline and it’s so nice to often have that available (or just comes up a conversation, or now Comic Herald Marvel Year By Year).
It’s like it’s like how we used to look at the public library as a resource as well as seeing this week’s Time magazine.

1 Like

I would do that without thinking twice about it. I want access to the vast history of DC comics…not what some dude in marketing thinks is hot this month based on TV or movie releases. Totally on board if more $$$ = more access.

2 Likes

No. But I would pay the current amount for a comics only subscription.

1 Like

Well that seems tempting, there’s plenty for me to read on the platform now.

So, hey, DC, thanks!

4 Likes

Honestly, I’d love for DC Unlimited to finally happen. It’s way overdue.
But, I’ll def pay more.

1 Like

April is going to make a lot of us happy in this regard :slight_smile:

4 Likes