World of Wonder | Wonder Woman (Series 1975) DISCUSSION

Maybe some people have a certain disdain for the CBS seasons because apparently people don’t like the 70s and obsess over the 80s. I on the other hand have always been fascinated by the 70s. Maybe at the time it wasn’t that interesting, since it was just a contemporary setting, but now it’s as much of a vintage throwback for me as WWII. So I think the 70s era of the show actually might have improved over time due to the nostalgia factor, for me. Also I have seen various others 70s shows and Wonder Woman actually looks very classy in comparison IMO.

As for the villains, there are some costumed villains in the show, even if they are original characters. But keeping things grounded was just the trend of the time. Even Superman 1978 was very down to Earth when it comes to Lex in comparison to Batman 1966 for instance.
The Incredible Hulk followed that line of thought to an even greater degree.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, there’s no episode of Wonder Woman I don’t love (except I just like the Roy Rogers episode). I just think all the “new technology” is very dated. WWII looks like it should, but Rover, the super computers, and so on are very much a concept of another time.

2 Likes

For sure, but at the same time that kind of thing also makes it more comic booky in a way, for me. And it wasn’t intrusive most of the time, mostly only to move the plot and add some humor sometimes (specially with the absence of Etta).
I also have the feeling the same will happen with all the holographic computers in superhero stuff of today. :stuck_out_tongue:
Speaking of the absence of Etta, Eve could have been a good replacement, too bad she only appeared in 5 episodes.

3 Likes

The holographic images most likely will be out of date some time, agree there. I also have to say the Skrill, the future suits (a staple of the 70s and earlier), the Time Bomb time travel. It’s all very dated, but doesn’t hurt the enjoyment.

3 Likes

@MovieAddict You’re right. It’s not gonna age well when they jump forward, BUT I think the dated tech is kinda charming. Campy, retro fun has grown on me a bit—like I’m time traveling back to when I was kid pretending to be her! :laughing: Oh, Wonder Woman :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

2 Likes

From outer space we go back to the war effort. It’s adds to what makes this season stand up. From “science fiction” to the current technology and brain power of the time.

But I have to say something. I am disappointed that a character named Antonio would be the one to not back off even after Diana said no. It makes Antonio’s everywhere look bad.

2 Likes

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

I agree @AntLeon! Formula 407 (Season1, Episode 12) is another episode that showcases why this show still works in the current entertainment landscape. I really enjoyed seeing all of the wardrobe choices in the episode. Lynda and Lyle always deliver with their performances, but they also deliver with amazing outfits.

1 Like

What’s on deck next? I don’t think @nu52 created the thread yet.

1 Like

Next is The Bushwackers, the only Season 1 episode that doesn’t have anything to do with Nazis. I give it points for originality on that.

2 Likes

Actually, it does have a Nazi story, that’s who the rustlers are working for if I remember correctly. It’s truly my least favorite episode of the series so I haven’t watched it as much.

2 Likes

I think the reason some see 70’s as very dated is that the 70’s was the last true analog decade. The 80’s at least have some concept of digital, especially to the gen pop.

The music cd came out in 1982. That was when the common person saw the impact of digital in real life.

There is one thing you don’t see with computers shown on tv/film from the 70’s…disk drives. True digital storage didn’t really exist. The VCR is an analog device.

So there is this sense that the 70’s isn’t much different than the 50’s or earlier. Because it was an analog world.

1 Like

Aren’t they trying to disrupt the beef production going to the military???

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s the motive

1 Like

They were not working for the Nazis. That info is on DC Wikia but it’s incorrect. They’re working with “the mob” (there was meat rationing during WWII so the mob was selling it on the black market) and it’s just regular criminal activity. It’s true that the production was going to the military however, that’s how Steve gets assigned to investigate.

1 Like

Truthfully, when I was little, all I saw was Wonder Woman—strong, intelligent, and beautiful. I never noticed anything looking dated. Before joining the WAL, I hadn’t watched this show in years. I obviously notice now, but it feels par for the course for the era, and I get a tiny kick out of it.

@DeSade-acolyte I agree! I wasn’t there, but I grew up in a very analog home. I’ve mentioned before that Im sometimes nostalgic for things that aren’t generationally appropriate. Let’s just say I’m no stranger to mid-century or even pre-depression era tech. The ol’ tribe didn’t always take the time to get the absolute latest tech either, so I don’t think I realized what “dated technology” even meant for a long time… maybe when I got online for the first time and pagers started to be a thing? After living in a digital safari, tho, I’ve come back around to see the charm in analog again.

Ps. Had no idea cds were that old. How big were the CD players? Were they as giant and cumbersome as the cell phones? :laughing:

They were about the size of a home stereo amp.

1 Like

I decided to look up which medals Steve has been condecorated with based on his Gala Uniform from S01E12

1. Silver Star: The Silver Star Medal is the U.S. Armed Forces’ third-highest personal decoration for valor in combat. The Silver Star Medal is awarded for “Gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States.”

2. Distinguished Flying Cross: The Distinguished Flying Cross is awarded for “Heroism or extraordinary achievement while participating in an aerial flight.”

3. Air Medal: The Air Medal is awarded for single acts of “Heroism or meritorious achievement while participating in aerial flight.”

4. Air Force Commendation Medal: The Air Force Commendation Medal is awarded for sustained acts of “Heroism, meritorious achievement, or meritorious service.”

5. Purple Heart: The Purple Heart Medal is awarded in the name of the President for “Being wounded or killed in any action against an enemy of the United States or as a result of an act of any such enemy or opposing armed forces.”

He could even have been awarded the Purple Heart when he was shot down over the Bermuda Triangle :grinning:

4 Likes

Great work “sleuthing”

1 Like

Alright Wonderfuls, remember to listen for the truth sound. most of the other effects have been consistent: throwing people/objects, jumping, feats of strength. Will have to see if anything changes when we get to next season. May i presume that there will be a new thread?

3 Likes