World of Wonder | Wonder Woman (Series 1975) DISCUSSION

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

The Bushwackers (S1E13) was a wholesome episode. I liked all of the outfits Diana and Steve were sporting! I just want action figures with all of these outfits :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks for doing that bit of research!

2 Likes

do we have tonight’s thread yet?

2 Likes

It’ll be up before 6PM PDT… whether it be 1 minute before IDK :+1:

2 Likes

fair enough

2 Likes

Nice work!! :facepunch:t3: Thank you!

2 Likes

World of Wonder | Wonder Woman (Series 1975) S1E14 SEASON FINALE 5/31 @ 6PM PDT/9PM EDT

Watch-Along thread is up

1 Like

I’m thinking we should just repurpose this thread to be for the entire series.

2 Likes

that works…

3 Likes

Now that we have finished Season 1, maybe it would be cool to have a poll for the favorite episode in the OP?
Anyway, I sometimes find hard to choose favorites or least favorites but easier to make a ranking.
Here’s my ranking:

1. Fausta, The Nazi Wonder Woman
  2. Last of $2 Bills
  3. The Feminum Mystique Part II
  4. The Feminum Mystique Part I
  5. Judgment from Outer Space Part I
  6. Judgment from Outer Space Part II
  7. The New, Original Wonder Woman (Pilot)
  8. Wonder Woman in Hollywood
  9. Wonder Woman meets Baroness Von Gunther
  10. The Pluto File
  11. Beauty On Parade
  12. Formula 407
  13. Wonder Woman vs. Gargantua
  14. The Bushwhackers

I had trouble deciding the order of the last 4 though.

3 Likes

Good idea for a poll!

I don’t know that I’d be able to rank the episodes until I do a rewatch at some point. I was mainly just enjoying them all because it’s my first watch through of the series.

2 Likes

I have to agree with Bushwhackers in last place

1 Like

I was reading some of the earlier posts in this thread. I’d like to address some stuff.

Regarding Steve’s role being diminished, people started all kinds of rumors but I think the explanation is really simple. I don’t believe Lyle and Lynda didn’t get along because just a few days ago I read an article from 1986 (written by Andy Mangels, the writer of WW’77 meets Bionic Woman among other stuff) where he interviewed Lyle and he said Lynda and him never had any trouble, and he even mentions that he had met her recently and she gave him a big hug. That stuff started with tabloids and became the general “explanation”.
But the thing is, Steve’s role was changed the minute Bruce Lansbury became the new showrunner and tweaked some things in the show. This was a executive decision. Now instead of Steve being the special agent and Diana being his assistant, Steve was the boss (replacing Joe Atkinson) and Diana became the special agent. This did provide Diana with more agency.
Their shared scenes did diminish because now Diana was usually on the field, and a lot of times she was sent to another city, usually LA, and Steve back on the base. But Steve still retained an adequate amount of screentime in most episodes for a supporting role, similar or even more than the roles of General Blankenship in Season 1 and Joe in the first half of Season 2. The show also did become closer to the format of Bionic Woman, and Steve’s role is very much comparable to the role of Oscar Goldman.
The reason for the change I think is that Lynda Carter was really popular. In fact it can be said she was more popular than the show was (her variety specials had much better ratings than the show ever had, and she managed to become the highest paid TV actress at the time despite not being a Top 30 show). So they put her front and center instead of basically sharing 50/50 with Steve which is basically Season 1 and the start of Season 2. Sometimes it even seemed Steve had more screentime than Diana/Wonder Woman in Season 1, and most of the stuff revolved around Wonder Woman helping Steve himself. Now Diana was actively doing stuff to fight crime and defend the world instead of “just helping Steve”. We love Steve but I suspect people didn’t care much about him at the time.
Besides, towards the end of Season 3 I feel Steve actually was getting more screentime, and they were sharing more screentime together, than towards the end of Season 2 and start of Season 3.

Another thing from the start of the thread. Diana Prince doesn’t have any powers, she has to transform to get into costume which has the magic belt which retains her powers away from Paradise Island.

Sorry for the big text.

3 Likes

We saw this in the s1 finale when Diana thwarted the spotlight sabotage.

2 Likes

Lyle Waggoner was falsely told his contract rolled over and he had to do the New Adventures of Wonder Woman-- and that wasn’t absolutely the case-- still under contract, a new show on a new network playing a new character gave him a lot of wiggle room. Unlike Lynda, he traded a great character for a kind of boring one-- and any attempts by the writers to give new Steve cools twists and turns-- I mean, how does Steve Trevor have a forty year-old son, anyway? Got shot down by CBS who wanted him to sit still and look pretty.

2 Likes

I think “Steve Jr.” had better chemistry with Diana Prince, however.

I don’t know… it just never bothered me much, although it would be better if they had more interaction of course. I guess I just get into the show in a way that their conversations over the phone register as actual interaction. But from a “behind the scenes” perspective, then they are just talking to themselves.
One theory I heard once was that Lyle got a little busy at the time because he was chosen to be the “Honorary Mayor of Encino.” I don’t know exactly what that entailed but I think he would have to attend events, luncheons, etc. Anyway, although it seems like a weird explanation, it would explain why he’s almost completely absent from the Pied Piper episode despite being from before the changes were made in the show (it was clearly a “we can’t have Lyle for this episode” scenario).

In any case, I think it was mostly just the network trying to figure out a format that would boost ratings. From everything I have gathered, despite being the strongest episodes in my opinion, the first few episodes of Season 2 had the worst ratings of the show. That’s why Bruce Lansbury came in to shake things up. Maybe it had something to do with budget too, because then they reduced the cast to just 2, instead of 3 with Joe.

Diana Steve

3 Likes

That’s an interesting continuity slip, since the Air Force As a service branch didn’t actually exist until after WWII. They were created in 1947.

3 Likes

Well, you know, Earth-2 has a slightly different history.

4 Likes

True, but I don’t recall them ever mucking about with the structure of the US Military during WWII.

4 Likes

I think you know as well as I do that when it comes to actors, writers, and producers-- SOME of us do our research when needed…

3 Likes